GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #902
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Had a 2007 Mazda3 (assembled in Japan) for 8 years and 150,000 KMs. Oil changes aside, I replaced the front brake pads, the tires, air filter, and the spark plugs once each. Not a single warranty claim, squeak, or rattle. Great little car.

So far so good with my 2016 GTI Autobahn/Performance (full load). No issues thus far. Some creaks/groans from the doors/sunroof. Only 25,000 KMs in on 2 years though.

On the other hand, my 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V, also purchased new, was a disaster.
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #903
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
The plastics in the engine bay. Subpar.

Broke one coil connector changing the plugs.
Broke both of the plastic "vents" on the side of the condensor and also one of the tabs holding the hood release mechanism during my IC install.
My SAI no longer holds in place without a zip tie. Only took that off once (may have been PO that ruined it).
Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #904
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
I wonder how many times it's been said in this thread...

The crappy stock clutch!

Owned nothing but manual transmission cars and never needed to replace the clutch. So this is a first for me.

My last vw was a mk6 Golf TDI 6mt with a KermaTDI tune. That put ~375ft lbs to the wheels at 2krpm. And it was running the stock clutch. The DMF was NOT happy if I thumped the throttle in 6th gear when rpm was at torque peak. But I don't recall the clutch ever slipping.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #905
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
On the other hand, my 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V, also purchased new, was a disaster.
I had a 2003. Between the bent wheels, rattles, squeaks, creaks, groans, faulty MAF sensor (waited a month because of a backorder), faulty catalyst, and the fact that the #3 piston tried to eat its way out of the engine, it was easily the worst car I've ever owned.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #906
Steve2237

Drives: 2017 GTI sport PP dsg csg 5 Dr.
Most annoying thing.

The most annoying thing about my gti is the Dealership. Service and Sales both staffed with rude smartass "Service" advisors, pushy salespeople and techs that don't give a shit about your car.
Steve2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #907
Twist

Drives: 2015 GTI SE 6MT
The stock clutch would be #1. VW has the resources, experience and wealth to create strong SACHS-inspired pressure discs that can hold up to ~400Wtq consistently. They could do this for very little over their current costs. It's almost as if it's intentional S:

2nd would be a strange rhythmic humming through the gas pedal at 70mph and highway speeds.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #908
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
The wiper stalk, but only because it works opposite the way that almost every other car I've ever owned (mostly Honda) did. You'd think by now that all the major car companies and their suppliers could all get together and agree on some standards for basic stuff like this.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #909
AmericanEnthusiast

Drives: 2017 GTI SE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Anigans View Post
The wiper stalk, but only because it works opposite the way that almost every other car I've ever owned (mostly Honda) did. You'd think by now that all the major car companies and their suppliers could all get together and agree on some standards for basic stuff like this.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #910
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Quote:
I came from the Honda world as well. You'll get used to it as I did
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #911
Gibberoni

Drives: 2015 GTI SE (LP)
Quote:
All the german manufacturers have agreed on a system though, haha. I came from BMW and the stalks work exactly the same as VW/Audi/Porche. Drove a Merc a while back and the wipers were the same.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #912
RRocket

Drives: '16 GTI Autobahn DSG w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberoni View Post
All the german manufacturers have agreed on a system though, haha. I came from BMW and the stalks work exactly the same as VW/Audi/Porche. Drove a Merc a while back and the wipers were the same.
lol. I was like "is it backwards??" I also came from BMW so still works the same for me
Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #913
ReadTheBook

Drives: '90 Cabby '15 Golf SE Sport, CSG '17 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenali312 View Post
Welp, both A pillars are buzzing now. Really don't want to tear into there anytime soon. Might need to get an exhaust to just drown out the buzzing
I have a fix for that:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...light=a-pillar

You can show your dealer what to do if you don't want to DIY.
CSG '17 GTI Sport | H&R OE Sport Springs | Bilstein B8 | EuroCode FSB 25mm | Eibach RSB 25mm | Neuspeed RSe12 | Clubsport Center Caps | Continental 235 | OEM Folding Mirrors | SunTek CXP 35/18 | aFe | DeAuto | SoundSkin Pro | Helix SoundBox | A119 DashCam | RGM Guards | OBDEleven'd |
ReadTheBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #914
Cptnjosh

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Two Things

#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.
Cptnjosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #915
MEM GTI

Drives: 2017 CSG GTI SE with DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnjosh View Post
#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.

I️ have both of these problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 CSG GTI SE, DSG
MEM GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #916
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Quote:

I don't experience #1 on my DSG GTI.

#2 is inherent to the aerodynamics of the hatchback design. Nothing can be done about it.
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #917
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
I saw two Impreza's this weekend that were on the same dirt road I was on and neither was filthy. I think it was because their hatch is rounded. I was kinda embarrassed at how dirty mine became.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #918
Sub-to-Dub

Drives: '17 GTI Sport
Quote:
I had the same issue on my old Impreza wagon. I think it's a combination of the air properties behind the hatch and the fact that the rear bumper gets all the water/dirt runoff from the glass and painted surfaces on the back versus something like a sedan.
Sub-to-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote