GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 04-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
figgy

Drives: Golf Mk VII R Replica
GTI side skirts modded

Hi All,

So after fitting the Clubsport rear diffuser and Maxton front lip both black gloss I wanted to give the side profile of the car a similiar lowered matching look as well. I contemplated the Clubsport side skirts but at that price I felt it was absolute robbery for the price being asked. So I went with the GTI side skirts for €200 I smoothed out the rough look with sandpaper, filled them, primed them x 3, base coated them x 3 and laquered coated them x 1 and here are the results. Fitting was a 7/10 in difficulty and the prep work to get them gloss black was simply painstaking in every way. Took about 1.5 weeks to get it from the matt black dimpled surface to smotth gloss black. If you go for this then expect alot of time consumption to do it correctly. Let me know what ye think please guys
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
Looks great!! I installed them as well but I left them the finish they were as it matches the rest of the trim. Real quick, is your maxton lip the cup lip or the standard lip? Thanks!
Helix UUs w/HIDs//deAuto LEDs//Maxton Lip//GTI Skirts//Center Exit Exhaust//OEM Hatch Spoiler//18” Peelers//Magnaflow Catback//CTS Dogbone//GTI PP RSB//VWR Springs//HELIX Subwoofer//OBD11 Coding//OEM Add Ons - adding fogs/footwells is possible!
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
figgy

Thanks Basemodel your kind words are very much appreciated. Here's a link to the spoiler lip http://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/produc...-golf-vii.html can't see where it says cup or standard though for it. Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #4
figgy

Forgot to mention it was your thread on the side skirts figment that helped me a lot too ����
Old 04-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
Happy to help!! Again, great work!
Helix UUs w/HIDs//deAuto LEDs//Maxton Lip//GTI Skirts//Center Exit Exhaust//OEM Hatch Spoiler//18” Peelers//Magnaflow Catback//CTS Dogbone//GTI PP RSB//VWR Springs//HELIX Subwoofer//OBD11 Coding//OEM Add Ons - adding fogs/footwells is possible!
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Wetelvis

Drives: GTI Autobahn
Looks awesome!!! Now I want to do the same 😁
Did you sand by hand?
Wetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
figgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetelvis View Post
Looks awesome!!! Now I want to do the same 😁
Did you sand by hand?
Thanks Wetelvis Yes it was a long painstaking process sanding them down to smooth by hand 400 800 1200 1500 grit then priming sanding 1500 grit again then base coat black x3 and lastly 3x clear laquer coats to get them smooth and shiny to match Clubsport rear correctly. Hope this helps
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
Looks good figgy! I too painted my side skirts (and rear diffuser) on my gti, but i used bumper paint for initial trial. 2 coats of black and 1 clear
2017-07-01 16.04.33 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
You can see the difference in finish from the front splitter and the side skirt. Eventually i'll likely refinish and go your route with full texture removal.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
figgy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
Looks good figgy! I too painted my side skirts (and rear diffuser) on my gti, but i used bumper paint for initial trial. 2 coats of black and 1 clear
2017-07-01 16.04.33 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
You can see the difference in finish from the front splitter and the side skirt. Eventually i'll likely refinish and go your route with full texture removal.
Nice color on your GTI No matter how good you try you will never get them to perfectly match! Trust me I tried so much. But smoothing them fully will make a huge difference to the finish. I had to use 3 clear coats to get them really shiny and even at that they are only a 90% match. Keep us posted sprinks when you get around to it
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
For sure. High gloss is hard to hit on these old textured bits. Fortunately i have a paint lab at my disposal I never expect to get 100% matchy though. Eventual goal is also to also have all raw plastics on the car painted gloss black (minus seals, of course). Not in much of a rush at the moment though. Good winter project may be to do the bumper bits.

Tags
gti side skirts