GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #188
Da Jesus

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
Over $37k for a GTI Autobahn DSG....yikes

And that's not including any options like monter mats or wheel locks or a first aid kit, which they typically add on (at port)

At that point I would think you'd spring for the R instead @ ~$40k
Price is Canadian dollars
Da Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #189
Jumpy

Drives: 2005 Dodge Neon SXT
Quote:
Over $37k for a GTI Autobahn DSG....yikes

And that's not including any options like monter mats or wheel locks or a first aid kit, which they typically add on (at port)

At that point I would think you'd spring for the R instead @ ~$40k
What do you guys think of this article?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/09/...ti-r-alltrack/

This guy said the GTI is more fun to drive than the Golf R:

Quote:
But the [Golf R] feels a bit numb, almost like you're just inputting some commands and letting the car sort out the rest. The steering has virtually no feel, and the suspension, while quite compliant, also feels like it's leaving out a bit of information from the road.

The GTI fixes all of those issues of feeling. The steering is much more talkative, especially as the front tires load up. The suspension isn't as comfortable, but it lets you know the conditions of the pavement better. These tweaks make it much more enjoyable for bombing down back roads. It makes you more involved, more able to enjoy the experience.
Jumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #190
NeedSleep

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
What do you guys think of this article?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/09/...ti-r-alltrack/

This guy said the GTI is more fun to drive than the Golf R:
From all the GTI vs. R debates I've seen in forums over the past year, the biggest thing that's brought up is that a GTI is "about 90% (or insert some other high percentage) of what the R is." Next is that the GTI adds "more drama" due to being FWD, whereas the R is more "planted and predictable" because it can send power to the rear wheels when necessary. That "more drama" plays into the "more fun to drive" argument. And of course, the added weight of the R and the bigger turbo (less low-end torque compared to the GTI) are brought up as well.

I don't think much about it, tbh. They're both great cars, and they both have pros and cons, depending on how you want to look at it. It's really up to the buyer to figure out which one suits them and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
NeedSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #191
snobrdrdan

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Discounts and incentives though.

My 2016 GTI stickered only $5k away from an R, but by the time the OTD Price was calculated the gap was $11k.
True...the GTI is (usually) available with more discounts than the R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jesus View Post
Price is Canadian dollars
Why would it be Canadian dollars if the link/pricing was from the US media site?

https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kit...-gti-press-kit
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #192
Da Jesus

Quote:
Why would it be Canadian dollars if the link/pricing was from the US media site?

https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kit...-gti-press-kit
Because he's not referring to the press kit. As far as I could tell the Autobahn pricing in not given in that link. It is however stated to be $37k Canadian in the youtube link I posted.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 AM   #193
Cool Hand Pete

Drives: 2008 Toyota Matrix XR, 2012 Hyundai Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jesus View Post
Because he's not referring to the press kit. As far as I could tell the Autobahn pricing in not given in that link. It is however stated to be $37k Canadian in the youtube link I posted.

Looks like the pricing is listed in the pricing sheet there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cool Hand Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 AM   #194
Da Jesus

Ah, thanks. Couldn't get any of that info to come up for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #195
PDXoriginal

Drives: MK7 GTI
Anyone see the new LED headlights yet?

Are they at least as bright as the bi xenons? From my own experience it seems leds don't even come close to the output of Bixenons.
PDXoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #196
Kent1

Drives: 2017 MK7 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXoriginal View Post
Anyone see the new LED headlights yet?

Are they at least as bright as the bi xenons? From my own experience it seems leds don't even come close to the output of Bixenons.
I just bought a '17 DSG SE last month and traded in a '14 Corolla that had standard LED headlights. I can say that the Corolla LED's were brighter than my current GTI HID's (lighting package).
Kent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #197
jlivingood

Drives: 1996 Porsche 911 (993)
FWIW, I was just reading my most recent issue of Porsche Panorama (the Porsche club's monthly magazine) and they noted that some MY2018 Porsches took longer to hit dealer lots due to a slower than expected EPA certification. I would not be at all surprised to learn that VW's new cars were getting additional emissions scrutiny, leading to longer than typical certificates. I think they need to do CARB as well, though I'm not sure if they are done in sequence rather than parallel - CA may wait until EPA is complete.
jlivingood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 AM   #198
AKF427

Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
I suspect the reality is that VW is exhibiting hyper-caution in regards to the US market. This caution--basically the launch of the re-fresh upon the backbone model range--has been cautions, calculating, & steered by brand experts. Hence the delay. I doubt EPA certification---the gas engine is unchanged---has caused any delay. VW took a $30+++ billion dollar smack-down, the company would implode across every nameplate/brand if it were to "cheat" in any regard for the next century. What is happening? Just a simple guess...the emphasis upon a zero-fault USA intro to market of the refresh consumed more time than assumed. The US VW Dealer infrastructure is actually VW the Manufacturers clientele...and once the calendar flipped to Q4 2017, the slowest time of the yer to move inventory, Dealers probably told VW "no go" on the MK7.5 on our lots until after the new year. Turn on the TV....every other commercial is a Car Manufacturer's 'Tis The Season Ad's to lure people entirely focussed upon buying anything/everything but a car, into perhaps buying a car.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #199
Jumpy

Drives: 2005 Dodge Neon SXT
I asked a sales manager and she said, "I believe they will be letting us know the release dates early next month."
Jumpy is online now   Reply With Quote