GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 12-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #52
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
You never needed to deploy?
10% of my 15 years or so. Not a massive loss.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #53
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
I had the opportunity to go to Iraq for 6 months but my wife wasn't happy about the idea. And I was in my 50's then and didn't relish living in a tent. Or working 16-hour days. Or getting the necessary shots. They would have issued me a sidearm, which was better than nothing, but I couldn't let it out of my sight, and the armory was on the opposite site of the base. Must have been a pain when you showered.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.

Last edited by The Fed; 12-08-2017 at 01:09 AM.
The Fed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #54
armedferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I had the opportunity to go to Iraq for 6 months but my wife wasn't happy about the idea. And I was in my 50's then and didn't relish living in a tent. Or working 16-hour days. Or getting the necessary shots. They would have issued me a sidearm, which was better than nothing, but I couldn't let it out of my sight, and the armory was on the opposite site of the base. Must have been a pain when you showered.

There's these things called "locks" that go on your hooch door....
Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #55
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
$2500 to get an insurance on my GTI?????

Depends on a lot of factors - your age, your address, your education, your driving history / duration, your income, etc etc. Your friend with similar age but different street address might get a totally different quote. Even one difference in any of these factors will drastically affect the price.

I shop around every 6 months as the prices tend to go up during every renewal. I started with geico, aaa and now i am with progressive.

I know people who had to change their decisions because of insane insurance prices for that particular vehicle model.

Last edited by vj123; 12-08-2017 at 01:41 AM.
vj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #56
AKF427
Banned

Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
That's a jackpot.

33% for my 6 years. Misfortune of never crossing paths w/ a CO who didn't instantly possess total disdain for me.

Thankfully pre 9/11. Regretfully Ft. Wainwright for 8 months

I DD214 O2 1LT. Crap I've gotten old...that was 20 yrs ago this past May.

USAA for my GTI, wife's Q7, & our home. My Father In-law was a Captain Squid for 30 yrs. I've got less than 0 engagement in household finances---I simply give her pieces of paper w/ #'s on them each month & she allows me to stay. I gotta ask her....my recall is that our USAA membership is tied to her dad & not me...a direct descendant is eligible if I'm recalling correctly. In my favor I'm exceedingly proficient in returning home & watching TV!

On a serious note, I did have a USAA issue...my date recall isn't ideal. I use to drive a commuter s*** bucket CPO'd Hyundai Accent (actually it was very reliable & w/ XM livable). I think it was end-of July '13 or '14 & hottest day of Summer. A lady sandwiched me & I literally pinged an old BMW SUV in front...lady who hit me was 100% at fault, but for what? No damage, yet we exchanged info & we all drove off. I called USAA that evening & never heard anything. Lady in the BMW SUV actually made a claim that post adjuster came to like $675. I found out in Dec via Commonwealth of MA mailing that USAA was holding me "at fault". Obviously I contested. The hearing was in January & it was nutty...10 mins in, the valuation of the damages was first broached & the mediator glazed over, then the Insurance claim guy shuffled 1,000 pieces of paper (I was not the sole person contesting an accident or claim that day, it was in a Gym w/ rows of people). It was then immediately dismissed in my favor....the cost of a claim had to be greater than $1K as of July 1 for an Insurance provider to find anybody in the Commonwealth "at fault". I recall this because I have nothing but positive sentiments towards USAA....yet they proved themselves to be scamy/shady....how many MA Commonwealth USAA members who opted not to contest & the value was sub $1,000 (it had previously been $500) & had accidents/incidents after July 1st were subjected to higher premiums due to being found "at fault" when the the threshold had risen to a minimum of $1,000??? USAA did reimburse the cost of my $50 filing fee, the cost of the stamp, and the cost of the parking lot...but the parking ($7.00??) was a true sore point to them because I didn't keep receipt---I ultimately told them to have an adjuster visit the lot & confirm the 2 hour fee...and they actually had an adjuster do that! I'm rambling & tired...but always fight insurance, period.

Last edited by AKF427; 12-08-2017 at 06:39 AM.
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #57
2SlowNoMo

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport Tornado Red DSG
reminds me of when I was 16 and wanted to insure a slightly used GTI in 1986. The insurance quote was $3500 for the year. opted for a very used scirocco instead, lol.
Good luck with the insurance hunt. I hope you are able to get the GTI. It's a fantastic car.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #58
VentoGT

Drives: 2017 GSW 4Motion 6Spd
Definitely up the deductible to $1,000 if you can it usually makes a big difference. Face it, if in an insurance-worthy accident the repairs are going to vastly exceed the $1K. GEICO was way cheaper than State Farm for me [I'm 37, married and had an Audi S8, Merc GLK350, Toyota Land Cruiser for $1,600 per year--my GSW cut that down by $200]

Being a young, unmarried male is the most expensive insurance out there unfortunately. As a previous poster said, you pay for other people's mistakes.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #59
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
All these prices donít mean squat. So many freaking variables go into insurance prices. Everyone here spouting numbers is meaningless and like comparing apples to oranges. Shop around and see if you can find the best rate given your parameters (deductibles, etc) see if you qualify for discounts. Student, profession, multi car, bundled discounts with home or renters, etc.

Good luck OP but overall the gti is on the pricey side to insure. You can thank all the kids crashing them. Itís still not as bad as a Subaru sti though so be grateful.
I think my GTI is cheaper to insure than some of my previous, less expensive, less powered vehicles.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #60
ecsta

Drives: 2017 R
When i was VW shopping i got quotes for the GTI and the R, for me the R was significantly cheaper to insure. I think lots of claims with the GTI makes the price high, also its a popular car. Same reason the civic is so damn expensive to insure. It's a very common young/little experience car that gets lots of claims against it.
ecsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #61
armedferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
I think my GTI is cheaper to insure than some of my previous, less expensive, less powered vehicles.
Might be because you're older and have a longer clean history. Car itself likely has little to do with it.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #62
drewsro

Drives: 2016 GTI S 6MT
My 6 mo premium on m GTI is like $309. I have my wife's RAV4 (full coverage) and a Saab 9-2x (libaility) on there too, so with our bundling of homeowner's also, we come out to $665 every 6 months. We're both 26 yo too, but never had a claim between us two.
drewsro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #63
alderran1

Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonioni fasano View Post
Hello eveyone, I am looking to buy a MK7 GTI, and been looking into some insurance companies in Chicago! I am 19, and they want to me to pay 2500 for 5 months!! How fucking insane is that? Is this correct for my age and the car I want to be driving or it is just way to much?
Thankss
GTI is not classified as a sports car it's a regular car so it must be your age and or driving points that make it so expensive. I'm a progressive customer not sure if you have to be a customer to use the tool, but they have a page where you can put in different cars and see how much it will cost you for insurance for each.
alderran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #64
alderran1

Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsro View Post
My 6 mo premium on m GTI is like $309. I have my wife's RAV4 (full coverage) and a Saab 9-2x (libaility) on there too, so with our bundling of homeowner's also, we come out to $665 every 6 months. We're both 26 yo too, but never had a claim between us two.
It depends where you live I remember a friend moving from the suburbs to Boston and finding that his insurance premium tripled.
alderran1 is offline   Reply With Quote