GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #1888
Devin
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI SE DSG
Location: United States
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Just installed the tails with JBale's harness. Whole process took about 3 hours including coding. I found it to be much easier than folding mirror installation. As notes above, the gap between the outer tails and the upper hatch is a bit larger. The hatch lights also protrude out farther than the outer ones do. I notice it quite a bit now, but probably will less with time. I do have some coding questions though... 1) it seems the signals are not dynamic when the car is on or off or with hazards. Double checking my coding now. 2) my reverse lights are on all the time whether the car is in park, reverse, drive. I also get a bulb out warning on the reverse lights when in reverse. I had reverted from the 5 brake light and inner+outer turn signal coding mod back to stock before this install. Thoughts?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #1889
rotaryguy
Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: FL
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Just installed the tails with JBale's harness. Whole process took about 3 hours including coding. I found it to be much easier than folding mirror installation. As notes above, the gap between the outer tails and the upper hatch is a bit larger. The hatch lights also protrude out farther than the outer ones do. I notice it quite a bit now, but probably will less with time. I do have some coding questions though... 1) it seems the signals are not dynamic when the car is on or off or with hazards. Double checking my coding now. 2) my reverse lights are on all the time whether the car is in park, reverse, drive. I also get a bulb out warning on the reverse lights when in reverse. I had reverted from the 5 brake light and inner+outer turn signal coding mod back to stock before this install. Thoughts?


If the hatch lights protrude out further than the outers simply adjust the two leveling screws on the outer tail lights.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotaryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #1890
Devin
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI SE DSG
Location: United States
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryguy View Post
If the hatch lights protrude out further than the outers simply adjust the two leveling screws on the outer tail lights.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah thanks. Will look at that.

More info for the coding questions. My car was built in 2104, and I tried both the 27NSL and 26NSL channels with no change. I had previously installed LEDs in the stock tail lights but the only coding changes I made with respect to this was increasing the "dimmwert" level to 127.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #1891
Devin
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI SE DSG
Location: United States
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
My reverse lights are even on when the car is off and locked... I must have done something wrong. That must be a wiring problem. I'll double check after dinner.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #1892
DaRock1459
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijetta18t View Post
I can tell you that RoW are not even wired to be able to turn the inner hatch lights off when opening. With my car, I wired it just like the factory cars and from how it is wired, there is no way to have them turn off. Believe me, I tried. The only way I can think of to perform this is by wiring a relay off of the hatch open switch to cut the power to them. Not doing that.
That's interesting. I've read that some people were able to do that using a BEC harness for the MK7 led tails. Good to know now so I'm not worrying much about it.
DaRock1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #1893
lijetta18t
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Mk7 Golf S w/SR 5MT
Location: Island of Long, NY
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRock1459 View Post
That's interesting. I've read that some people were able to do that using a BEC harness for the MK7 led tails. Good to know now so I'm not worrying much about it.
I should have mentioned that is only applies for the FL dynamic signals. Older LED and the FL low line LED lights WILL turn off the inner hatch lights when open for the RoW cars.
lijetta18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:46 AM   #1894
Devin
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI SE DSG
Location: United States
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
All problems fixed. Thanks, JBale.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #1895
danielmckendry
Senior Member
 
danielmckendry's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 470
Arrived. Undamaged. Just need ti double check the p/n are what i ordered and then i'll try and get them in even though it's raining

danielmckendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #1896
ecsta
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 R
Location: Toronto
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 139
Anyone order from E-acca can post their turnaround time? I know cars is much faster, but i'd rather deal with Natalja.

These tails look beautiful Cant wait to have mine setup
ecsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #1897
Nsknick
Senior Member
 
Nsknick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Golf GTI S DSG
Location: East Coast
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 115
I fixed the gap issue by doubling up on the little rubber rings and really pushing in hard as I tightened down. My lights are flawless, and lined up perfectly with almost no gap.
Nsknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #1898
Devin
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI SE DSG
Location: United States
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Now that the foam seal on the back of the lights has settled after installation, the gap between my lights and the hatch and alignment of inner and outer lights is now perfect as well. These lights completely change the look of the back of the car. Love it.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #1899
danielmckendry
Senior Member
 
danielmckendry's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 470
Right I have an issue, installed them and followed the coding to the letter. I'm using audiamant harness, there was no way of knowing which was supposed to go to the inner light and which was to go to the outer or which was for left and which was for right from their installation sheet or no indication on the wires.
I do think I might have it the wrong way around. My fog is always on, my lights don't come on at all, brake, drl or high beam and the whole lights flashes along with the indicators, indicators do sweep across though. Anyone else installed with audiamant? Have I installed the modules the wrong way around? I have the long wired module coming from the outer light and the short wired module on the inner light? AM sheets just tell you where to wire but don't tell you which module goes where or the photos are that blurry that I can't see them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
danielmckendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #1900
JBale
Senior Member
 
JBale's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Location: Alberta, Canada
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielmckendry View Post
Right I have an issue, installed them and followed the coding to the letter. I'm using audiamant harness, there was no way of knowing which was supposed to go to the inner light and which was to go to the outer or which was for left and which was for right from their installation sheet or no indication on the wires.
I do think I might have it the wrong way around. My fog is always on, my lights don't come on at all, brake, drl or high beam and the whole lights flashes along with the indicators, indicators do sweep across though. Anyone else installed with audiamant? Have I installed the modules the wrong way around? I have the long wired module coming from the outer light and the short wired module on the inner light? AM sheets just tell you where to wire but don't tell you which module goes where or the photos are that blurry that I can't see them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
To answer the question about them being in the correct spot. The outers would only plug in at the outer and the same for the inners. Also, right and left shouldn't have a large impact on your harness either.

Were you going from OEM LED or non LED tails?
JBale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #1901
danielmckendry
Senior Member
 
danielmckendry's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBale View Post
To answer the question about them being in the correct spot. The outers would only plug in at the outer and the same for the inners. Also, right and left shouldn't have a large impact on your harness either.

Were you going from OEM LED or non LED tails?
I never tried them in the other plugs, I just plugged them up how I assumed they should go, based on how I installed the original LEDs, I had upgraded from halogen to mk7 LEDs. The harness I bought was for halogen to facelift LED but I didn't reset the coding. Maybe I need to go back to halogen coding and then do the AM coding?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
danielmckendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #1902
JBale
Senior Member
 
JBale's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Location: Alberta, Canada
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielmckendry View Post
I never tried them in the other plugs, I just plugged them up how I assumed they should go, based on how I installed the original LEDs, I had upgraded from halogen to mk7 LEDs. The harness I bought was for halogen to facelift LED but I didn't reset the coding. Maybe I need to go back to halogen coding and then do the AM coding?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
You probably would have been better off with the LED - FL LED harness if you had already upgraded previously.

Did you uninstall the old non LED to LED harness prior to installing the AM harness?
JBale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #1903
acocozzo
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 12


Just waiting on my Jbale harness now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acocozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #1904
danielmckendry
Senior Member
 
danielmckendry's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBale View Post
You probably would have been better off with the LED - FL LED harness if you had already upgraded previously.

Did you uninstall the old non LED to LED harness prior to installing the AM harness?
I did uninstall everything.
It's all good I found the stock halogen coding online, put a couple of settings back on which had been changed to not active and now have my lights working as they should. Except just have to find the fog light code and switch it off as it's always on, fogs didn't work in my last LEDs and in my attempt to find them I guess I did find them and left then on. Should be an easy fix

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
danielmckendry is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.