GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 09-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Why do ricers....

Giant tow hooks? I saw a few on some cheap imports in college and have been seeing them again lately. They stick out past the bumper. Is it for when your car breaks down? Lol

Also, Japanese learner driver symbol?
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
Its nothing more than a fashion accessory.

Like the VW guys that put bike racks on the roof of their cars when they don't even ride bikes and cover half of the rear glass with grenade stickers. It's just that they like the look. At least the tow hook doesn't kill your MPG the way a roof rack that gets no use does.
Chogokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
It says "Hey look at me! I track my car."... but most likely they don't.

Some just look like a nipple ring to me.
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
ashchuckton

Drives: VW GTI
Poseur's.....
ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Gawernator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogokin View Post
Its nothing more than a fashion accessory.

Like the VW guys that put bike racks on the roof of their cars when they don't even ride bikes and cover half of the rear glass with grenade stickers. It's just that they like the look. At least the tow hook doesn't kill your MPG the way a roof rack that gets no use does.
Lol the bike rack as a fashion accessory makes even less sense to me!
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Lol the bike rack as a fashion accessory makes even less sense to me!
Yep my buddy used to leave the snowboard rack on his car in the summer. Coz it looked kewl. And "Hey I snowboard!"
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
AJ15

Drives: '17 GTI Sport 4DR 6MT (Tornado Red)
LOL... are we really having this discussion on a VW forum? I haven't been on these forums very long... But do the VW "stance bros" hang out here?
AJ15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #8
Gawernator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ15 View Post
LOL... are we really having this discussion on a VW forum? I haven't been on these forums very long... But do the VW "stance bros" hang out here?
There's a thread on extreme lowering but that doesn't seem to be the "crowd" here. I've got mostly a regular enthusiast and serious performance/tuner vibe.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
I file the tow hook thing into the same spot as people who have tow hook plate relocators or put their front plate on the dash.

My co-worker, well into his 50's, has a G35 with an obviously previously wrecked and poorly repaired bumper cover, and it has the plate holes in it. He insists to keep his plate on the dash, I offered to give him some plate screws but he prefers plate on dash. Looks ricer to me!
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
Yep my buddy used to leave the snowboard rack on his car in the summer. Coz it looked kewl. And "Hey I snowboard!"
Well, to be fair, up here (northern Vermont), you keep winter tires on five months out of the year, and some of those racks are a PITA to get on and off. Also, depending on the rack/box/whatevevr for skis and boards, some of those can be used to haul/strap other crap too. But mostly up here it's folks who can't be bothered to take the stuff off the car between winters.

And, well, every other car has ski/board racks on it here. But in Oakland, ok, I see your point....
Old 09-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
ashchuckton

Drives: VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
I file the tow hook thing into the same spot as people who have tow hook plate relocators or put their front plate on the dash.

My co-worker, well into his 50's, has a G35 with an obviously previously wrecked and poorly repaired bumper cover, and it has the plate holes in it. He insists to keep his plate on the dash, I offered to give him some plate screws but he prefers plate on dash. Looks ricer to me!
Your co-worker is going to be in a world of hurt if the airbag deploys & shoots that plate into his neck at breakneck speed. You might mention that to him.
ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
My neighbor still has his Christmas lights up
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ15 View Post

There are a few, but they're definitely a niche within the overall community. Most VW drivers go a more OEM+ route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Gawernator

VW stance bros ahh the elusive german ricer. Though I think people were slamming VW's before Hondas
Old 09-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
AmericanEnthusiast

Drives: 2017 GTI SE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
I just got mine for the pure fact that it looks good with the us millworks quick release side plate, and I did not want those drill holes in my bumper. Now if the dealer had already drilled them it would be a whole different story.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
The US is about 10years behind the UK with the modification scene as they have been and gone just like BOV have. You next will find people hanging small cuddly toys from the tow hook.......cos it's cool.....apparently.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #17
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
VW stance bros ahh the elusive german ricer. Though I think people were slamming VW's before Hondas
Slammed Volkswagens with roof racks date back to the '60s, and that's including camber. Regardless of what instagram told you this is how it's always been