GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
carchrism5

Drives: 17 GTI Sport
2017 CSG GTI Sport - "Grey Poupon"

Hello all,

So after owning my car for a few months and doing a few things to it I felt there was enough to start a build thread. The car is a 2017 DSG GTI Sport that I bought at the end of January. I got my first VW in college, had a MKV R32 that I regretted selling. I went through a few other cars, favorite being the BMW 1M and E34 M5, but ended up wanting the practicality of the hatchback, quality of VW community, affordability of the aftermarket and bought the GTI Sport. I looked at the car on a whim, drove past the VW dealer and stopped to see the Golf R but it is just not worth the cost to me, I always liked the GTI but could never do FWD but the salesman insisted on letting me take a real test drive around the backroads to see what the new diff could do and I was beyond impressed. I bought a GTI less than a week later. I will do my best to update the progress as the build continues.

Suspension

- Bilstein B16/PSS10 coilovers

- ST front and rear sway bars

- Whiteline front sway bar end links

- Superpro rear sway bar end links

Performance

- Billy Boat cat back exhaust

- eTuners custom stage 1 ECU and TCU tune (https://www.etuners.gr/)

Electronics

- VW Helix Subwoofer

- Auto folding mirrors

- Auto headlight conversion

Exterior

- BBS SR 18x8 et45 Himalaya Gray w/ Firehawk 235/40/18 tires

- Suntek Carbon 25% window tint

- Aspherical blind spot mirrors

Future Plans

- Unitronic Downpipe - already purchased, just waiting to install

- Audi TT-RS Brembo brake kit - already purchased, just waiting to install

- Intercooler (Unitronic or IE)

- IS38

Last edited by carchrism5; 08-29-2017 at 11:38 AM.
carchrism5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Welcome to the Forum.
Congratulations on the GTI sport.
Like the mods so far.
Looks like you picked the right car!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
Litespeedgti

Drives: 2015 GTI
One of the best new ones I have seen.EVERYTHING about your exterior is a home run.
Good for you.
Litespeedgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
carchrism5

Ordered ST Suspensions front and rear sway bars and Whiteline end links. I quickly found out the front sway links were a weak point on a lowered car.

Also took the time to detail the car, looks much better.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
carchrism5

Bought a foam cannon to use with my pressure washer and did a little clay and waxing. I'm far from a professional but the paint looks decent now.

Last edited by carchrism5; 08-02-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Car looks good, but you got rid of the E34 M5? That is one of the cars I wish to own/restore in the future, plus the sound of an S38 is amazing. I had an E34 525i with a manual swap back in college, loved that boat.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
carchrism5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Car looks good, but you got rid of the E34 M5? That is one of the cars I wish to own/restore in the future, plus the sound of an S38 is amazing. I had an E34 525i with a manual swap back in college, loved that boat.
I did sell my E34 M5 earlier this year, after I bought the GTI, I also currently have an E34 525 5spd. Great cars for sure. I had my fun in the M5 but decided it was time to let it go because it started to sit.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
I did sell my E34 M5 earlier this year, after I bought the GTI, I also currently have an E34 525 5spd. Great cars for sure. I had my fun in the M5 but decided it was time to let it go because it started to sit.
Makes sense, they need to be driven. GTI is more fun since it doesn't weight as much.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
carchrism5

Picked up a few new things recently and updated the first post. ST Sway Bars with end links, Unitronic DP and TT-RS brakes.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
carchrism5

UPDATE:
I had the sway bars and end links installed, got ride of the clunks the came up after the coils went on and I took it to the track. Between the sways and the end links the car feels so much more planted. Going into corners the turn in is greatly improved and the way the rear rotates is too, really follows behind the car rather than feeling like it is being dragged. The car is also able to stay flatter through some high speed highway sweeping turns. Overall very pleased and would recommend them.

Also got the much anticipated eTuners tune. I know not too many people are running it on here because people either go for APR/Uni or COBB with a slightly better than OTS tune. But I must say the eTuners tune is AMAZING and I'm not sure why more people aren't running it. It is a true custom tune, the tuner takes a base file then has a custom tune made, they log the the car, analyze the logs and then send an updated file. I was able to get even more power, it is incredibly smooth and knowing the logs were run and analyzed to ensure it wasn't pulling timing or any other problems I feel much better about it. The car is undoubtedly faster, now spinning tires through multiple gears and really transforms the car. The accompanying DSG TCU tune also provides nice, snappy shifts and makes going through the gears even more fun. I will be getting this on a dyno soon to run stock vs Stage 1 and then have my DP installed and Stage 2.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
AR1

Drives: MK7R
Are you suggesting that the aftermarket links eliminated the clunking noise or was that noise fixed by something else? Just wanted to clarify for my own understanding as it seems that usually aftermarket links CAUSE clunking (spherical bearings, etc).
Old 08-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
rjtrout

Drives: 2016 VW GTI
Great mods list thus far! I love the wheels and the stance. You chose the right suspension for sure!
rjtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #13
carchrism5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
Are you suggesting that the aftermarket links eliminated the clunking noise or was that noise fixed by something else? Just wanted to clarify for my own understanding as it seems that usually aftermarket links CAUSE clunking (spherical bearings, etc).
The aftermarket links did reduce the clunking noises. After a track session with the car rather low the sounds from the suspension became somewhat annoying. People have mixed experiences with the end links based on how low they are and how they drive.

That being said I specifically did not do spherical bearings because those do increase noise. People find increased noise with those in the rear, like the Neuspeed rear links for example. The SuperPro rears use a polyurethane insert instead. I highly recommend the SuperPro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrout View Post
Great mods list thus far! I love the wheels and the stance. You chose the right suspension for sure!
Thanks, I absolutely love the suspension, I recently raised the front a little and adjusted it to soften up because I was going on a few weekend trips and with it set to a softer setting it was extremely comfortable, even better than stock.