GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge

Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
XLYC

Engine idling = wear?

I know dudes who idle their newish cars for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Now I know this increases fuel but does it damage an engine in the long run? Or is it just a myth.

Whenever I want to park up and leave my music and stuff running I just turn on the stop start and until it won't stop start anymore (because of battery) I just turn it off. usually gives me 30 minutes on start stop whether I'm in "D" or "P".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XLYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
tknj99

Drives: 2017 MK7 SE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLYC View Post
I know dudes who idle their newish cars for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Now I know this increases fuel but does it damage an engine in the long run? Or is it just a myth.

Whenever I want to park up and leave my music and stuff running I just turn on the stop start and until it won't stop start anymore (because of battery) I just turn it off. usually gives me 30 minutes on start stop whether I'm in "D" or "P".

With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!
tknj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.
This sounds like the advice that was given back when we had carburetors.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
XLYC

Well let's talk in terms of TDi

Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
I have to idle my car a bunch for work as a private investigator sometimes
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
XLYC

Engine idling = wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I have to idle my car a bunch for work as a private investigator sometimes

Oh dear judging by the first reply it doesn't sound too good

Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLYC View Post
Oh dear judging by the first reply it doesn't sound too good

He's talking more about cold idle warm up. I only idle for 10-30 seconds tops cold usually.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Enderwaves

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport, 1989 Ford Econoline
I work in Construction, and I see pickups idle all day long. I've heard guys say it can lead to wear on crank seals on big V8s, but most of our fleet runs to either 150k or 180k, and it's rare to see any unusual trouble due to idling. I'm not saying it's great, but I wouldn't be super concerned about it.

Enderwaves is offline   Reply With Quote