GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
XLYC
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 48
Engine idling = wear?

I know dudes who idle their newish cars for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Now I know this increases fuel but does it damage an engine in the long run? Or is it just a myth.

Whenever I want to park up and leave my music and stuff running I just turn on the stop start and until it won't stop start anymore (because of battery) I just turn it off. usually gives me 30 minutes on start stop whether I'm in "D" or "P".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XLYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
tknj99
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 MK7 SE 6MT
Location: Ashburn VA
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLYC View Post
I know dudes who idle their newish cars for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Now I know this increases fuel but does it damage an engine in the long run? Or is it just a myth.

Whenever I want to park up and leave my music and stuff running I just turn on the stop start and until it won't stop start anymore (because of battery) I just turn it off. usually gives me 30 minutes on start stop whether I'm in "D" or "P".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.
__________________
PW | 3M CS Tint | JB1 | Clutch Stop | Clutch Bleeder Mod | Clutch Spring Removed | Snow Grate Removed | OBDeleven | ST Rear Sway Bar | Modified stock intake grill with AFE Drop-In

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!
tknj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
The Fed
Senior Member
 
The Fed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Florida
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.
This sounds like the advice that was given back when we had carburetors.
__________________
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
XLYC
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 48
Well let's talk in terms of TDi


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XLYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
Gawernator
Senior Member
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Location: Fremont, CA
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 981
I have to idle my car a bunch for work as a private investigator sometimes
__________________
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
XLYC
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 48
Engine idling = wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I have to idle my car a bunch for work as a private investigator sometimes


Oh dear judging by the first reply it doesn't sound too good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XLYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Gawernator
Senior Member
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Location: Fremont, CA
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLYC View Post
Oh dear judging by the first reply it doesn't sound too good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's talking more about cold idle warm up. I only idle for 10-30 seconds tops cold usually.
__________________
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Enderwaves
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport, 1989 Ford Econoline
Location: Huntington, WV
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
I work in Construction, and I see pickups idle all day long. I've heard guys say it can lead to wear on crank seals on big V8s, but most of our fleet runs to either 150k or 180k, and it's rare to see any unusual trouble due to idling. I'm not saying it's great, but I wouldn't be super concerned about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enderwaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.