GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #18
r-gazmic

Drives: 2016 Golf R 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
Should I even bother trying to take this up with VW @ 14 months old and 11.5k miles? The engine and drivetrain are totally stock but I don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. My reluctance in upgrading clutches is that I never really intended to add power anyway...
Some people have gotten clutch replacements at least partially covered under warranty or good-willed by their dealer so it's not a 100% lost cause. I'd say it's worth asking about, worst thing that happens is they say no and you have to go out of pocket anyways.
r-gazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
Hatcher

Drives: 2016 Manual R
I am experiencing the same thing, but I've had APR Stage 1 for over 10,000 miles of driving.

Good reason for me to get beefed up clutch and move onto next Stage
Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #20
AR1

Drives: MK7R
Good news and bad news. Good news is it wasn't slipping today. Bad news is that this was while I was trying to show the tech at the dealer the problem I was experiencing. I think it must have to do with temperature/being more warmed up vs when I was driving home from work on chilly evenings.

Maybe I can get by with the stock clutch as long as I'm mindful of this.

The tech said that the clutch wouldn't be covered if it was determined to be caused by user error. This kind of sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me because I have to imagine they would default to this explanation unless there is something glaringly wrong with the hardware (which there likely isn't, its just not up to the task).
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #21
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Quote:
This youtuber captured exactly what my car is doing. He also seems to think its clutch slip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_mSwU67kg
My GTI is stock engine and transmission wise. It's doing something very similar, though not to the same extent:

Quote:
Good news and bad news. Good news is it wasn't slipping today. Bad news is that this was while I was trying to show the tech at the dealer the problem I was experiencing. I think it must have to do with temperature/being more warmed up vs when I was driving home from work on chilly evenings.

Maybe I can get by with the stock clutch as long as I'm mindful of this.

The tech said that the clutch wouldn't be covered if it was determined to be caused by user error. This kind of sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me because I have to imagine they would default to this explanation unless there is something glaringly wrong with the hardware (which there likely isn't, its just not up to the task).
Same here, it only does it when temperatures are below 40-45F.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #22
dcpower

Drives: 2017 Golf R - LSG - 6MT
Quote:
Should I even bother trying to take this up with VW @ 14 months old and 11.5k miles? The engine and drivetrain are totally stock but I don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. My reluctance in upgrading clutches is that I never really intended to add power anyway...
My R is at the dealer right now for a new clutch. 18k miles running a JB4, and a few bolt ons. The dealer gave me a discount on labour and I provided my own clutch. Couldn't hurt to ask if they can help you out at all.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #23
AR1

Drives: MK7R
I've noticed that (especially when cold) the transmission is stiff going from neutral to first from a stop. Similar to when you have a synchro going out and there is an initial stiffness that "breaks" as you get past it.

This makes me wonder if the clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is in. My question is if this seems more like a symptom of a worn clutch or a CAUSE of a worn clutch?

I'm still trying to decide if I should fight the dealer on this. I'm expecting they will blame it on user error but I know with the clean conscience that the car is stock and driven reasonably (has been tracked but never launched or ripped through the gears regularly otherwise).