GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
DrDavid

Drives: VW Golf GTi MK7 coming soon
Eibach Pro-Kit with Bilstein B6 or B8 ??

I have my car with eibach prokit springs and the original shock absorbers.
If I put Bilstein B8 shocks the height of the car varies? I do not want it to go down anymore because I would start touching everywhere.

With the stock shocks when i go over a nump the shock goes to the top (clanck!!) Then the B6 will be the same......

Anyone knows if the bilstein B8 go down the heigh ? Or its deppend only of the springs ?
Sorry for my english.... (Argentina)
DrDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
ZERO815

Drives: '17 GTI
Bilstein B6 and B8 maintain the same spring seat height as the OE shocks. You donít go any lower with them. B6 has the same extended length as the OE shock while a B8 is shorter by ~20mm. Use B6 with factory springs and B8 with lowering springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
BananaSlug

Drives: 2016 VW GTI SE DSG
I have Eibach Pro-Kit with B8's and I haven't had any issues even with the shitty roads here in San Antonio.
2016 CSG VW GTI SE DSG | LP | Johnson Ceramic Tint | Cobb Stage 2 by MAP | 034 Dogbone Insert | IE IC | MAP Downpipe /w GESI cat | aFe Air Filter | CTS TIP | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Bilstein B8 | Neuspeed RSe10 | Continental DWS06
BananaSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
madracer

Drives: Golf 7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSlug View Post
I have Eibach Pro-Kit with B8's and I haven't had any issues even with the shitty roads here in San Antonio.
I have the eibach pro kit as well, and thinking of the B8 shocks in the future.
How is the ride and handling?
So uncertain, added to the fact that a set of B8 shocks will be around 1000usd in South Africa.
madracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
BananaSlug

Drives: 2016 VW GTI SE DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by madracer View Post
I have the eibach pro kit as well, and thinking of the B8 shocks in the future.
How is the ride and handling?
So uncertain, added to the fact that a set of B8 shocks will be around 1000usd in South Africa.
The ride is only slightly harsher than stock. The handling is amazing, body roll is almost non-existent. My car feels like it really hugs the road on corners even on shitty OEM A/S tires.
2016 CSG VW GTI SE DSG | LP | Johnson Ceramic Tint | Cobb Stage 2 by MAP | 034 Dogbone Insert | IE IC | MAP Downpipe /w GESI cat | aFe Air Filter | CTS TIP | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Bilstein B8 | Neuspeed RSe10 | Continental DWS06
BananaSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
bdelaney4000

Drives: 16' MK7 GTI S 6MT
For reference Bilstein's B12 Cup kit utilizes B8 shocks with Eibach's Pro linear springs. If you're concerned about ride quality I'm sure you could find a few reviews of the cup kit with a little searching. Obviously Bilstein is fine with the pairing so I would think ride quality would be fine.
Unitronic Stg 2 | NGK RS7 Plugs | Eurocode Catted DP | MAGIC Intercooler | BFI Stg 1 Eng/Trans | 034 Dogbone | 034 Rear Sway | K&N Panel Filter | ECS Silicone Inlet Pipe | Leyo Turbo Inlet | ECS Short Shifter w/ Bushings | ECS Bleeder Block | BMS Clutch Stop | Venom Spacers 15/20
bdelaney4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #7
ZERO815

Letís define ride and handling.

Ride: Road driven inputs like heave, pitch, roll, impacts and harshness.

Handling: Driver inputs like steering, accelerating, braking.

With my B16 in full soft at -1ď the ride is compact with less body motion. Itís less busy and much more connected to the road without being bumpy or short. Occasionally sharper impacts are a little bit harsher.

In terms of handling itís totally different than stock. The car feels planted with all driver inputs. I didnít like the stock Bridgestone all-seasons in dry and wet for steering, but since there is less weight transfer they are almost ok (only heavy rain NOK). For more spirited driving I go to click 4 front and 3 rear and still have a ton of comfort left.

I know that B6, B8 and B12 share the same hydraulic damping, B14 is slightly different. B16 in soft is supposed to be very similar to them. My recommendation is B14. According to TireRack it is ~$100 more expensive than B8 and Eibach Pro-Kit but you can adjust your ride height lower or higher as you like it or need it.

Last edited by ZERO815; 12-05-2017 at 01:30 AM.
ZERO815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
bdelaney4000

Drives: 16' MK7 GTI S 6MT
B14, that's the PSS coilovers right? I may be looking into the B14s when I do my suspension. The only reason I was referencing the B12 cup kit was the OP already has Eibach Pro springs and is looking for dampers to match.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Unitronic Stg 2 | NGK RS7 Plugs | Eurocode Catted DP | MAGIC Intercooler | BFI Stg 1 Eng/Trans | 034 Dogbone | 034 Rear Sway | K&N Panel Filter | ECS Silicone Inlet Pipe | Leyo Turbo Inlet | ECS Short Shifter w/ Bushings | ECS Bleeder Block | BMS Clutch Stop | Venom Spacers 15/20
bdelaney4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
madracer

Drives: Golf 7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSlug View Post
The ride is only slightly harsher than stock. The handling is amazing, body roll is almost non-existent. My car feels like it really hugs the road on corners even on shitty OEM A/S tires.
Thanks for the info, will give it a shot. The setup does look good and if the car feels more stable / less body roll, that will be a good plus point for track days.
madracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
tripleS

Drives: 15 GTI S 6MT/LP/PP (Sport prototype ;)
B14 does not have the same damping as the standalone shocks. PSS is a coilover set with much stiffer 400/420lb springs than Eibach ones on the B12 kit

B12 shocks should be the identical to B8, which have the same exact damping as the longer-stroke B6 shocks. Just to clear that up
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 AM   #11
ZERO815

tripleS youíre right about my wrong statement earlier. B14 does not have 100% the same valve code but the damping forces and characteristics are similar. I edited my statement accordingly.