GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 AM   #69
Derushi

Drives: PP/LP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcarsmell View Post
I had the Neuspeed Power Module however I experienced EPC warning lights on multiple occasions after repeatedly depressing and releasing the accelerator pedal in quick succession. I realized this could be caused from the piggy back and removed the power module. After I removed the piggy back system that fault did not occur again with the same type of pedal modulation. I don't like how the piggy back is constantly "tricking" the car's computer.

That's the main reason I don't want to do a piggy back system anymore.

Plus I had a great experience with APR in the past however the whole voiding-warranty factor is daunting. Le Sigh
I'd like to ECU tune too but I have to keep myself in check because I'd like to have powertrain warranty if I ever needed it.

As for the Neuspeed piggy back causing EPC... that's strange. Loose connections? Have you contacted them about it? Anyhow, you should give JB1/4 a try. You can buy/sell them at minimal loss and there's always one for sale in this forum.

I know this doesn't mean much but I installed mine 1-2k miles ago and no issues so far, same with many JB1/4 users.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #70
Newcarsmell

Drives: A38v 1.8T
So I decided to take the plunge and I got the ecu flash from APR. I must say, the car has been completely changed. Accelerating feels so strong and smooth. I can actually spin tire and make them chirp if I accelerate too much. The 0-125mph ability has been improved greatly and I have a lot more confidence in highway passing and merging now.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #71
Newcarsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derushi View Post
I'd like to ECU tune too but I have to keep myself in check because I'd like to have powertrain warranty if I ever needed it.

As for the Neuspeed piggy back causing EPC... that's strange. Loose connections? Have you contacted them about it? Anyhow, you should give JB1/4 a try. You can buy/sell them at minimal loss and there's always one for sale in this forum.

I know this doesn't mean much but I installed mine 1-2k miles ago and no issues so far, same with many JB1/4 users.

No, I asked AU Tuning about the EPC issue and they said the NPM could cause the warning light. They sell power modules, vehicle specific ecu tunes, and even full on custom ecu dyno tuning. The mechanic said that at the end of the day, the vehicle specific tunes are far safer than the piggy back systems for daily driving because the vehicle specific tunes have been designed by professionals unlike crowd sourced tunes.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #72
Newcarsmell

So I've driven over 5,000 miles with the APR stage 1 ecu tune and I've been loving it. I am due for my covered 15,000 mile service/inspection from Audi care so I had my local tuner shop flash me back to stock before my service appointment at the dealership.
We will see if my car gets flagged with TD1 after the inspection.

In other news, I've been contemplating upgrading my is12 turbo to either the is20 or is38.
I like the fact that I can keep the oem downpipe with the is20 choice however when purchasing new parts, the is20 and is38 turbos are in the same price range. I'm contemplating which turbo would be the better long term choice since my 1.8T is a daily commuter car.

Link to Turbo ECU pricing options:

Last edited by Newcarsmell; 07-08-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Newcarsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #73
Crudulous

Drives: GTI
Now I have to watch out for sleeper 1.8 Golf's...what's become of the world
Crudulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #74
rjtrout

Drives: 2016 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudulous View Post
Now I have to watch out for sleeper 1.8 Golf's...what's become of the world
No kidding! I contemplated buying a Golf before I bought the GTI. No regrets, but still what a machine the mk7 is!!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
rjtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #75
rjtrout

Drives: 2016 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcarsmell View Post
So I've driven over 5,000 miles with the APR stage 1 ecu tune and I've been loving it. I am due for my covered 15,000 mile service/inspection from Audi care so I had my local tuner shop flash me back to stock before my service appointment at the dealership.
We will see if my car gets flagged with TD1 after the inspection.

In other news, I've been contemplating upgrading my is12 turbo to either the is20 or is38.
I like the fact that I can keep the oem downpipe with the is20 choice however when purchasing new parts, the is20 and is38 turbos are in the same price range. I'm contemplating which turbo would be the better long term choice since my 1.8T is a daily commuter car.

Link to Turbo ECU pricing options:
I don't think you could go wrong either way. The is20 turbo on my GTI is great at altitude and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
rjtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #76
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
IS38 spools a bit later than IS20, but obviously carries more up top. The reduced displacement of the 1.8 motor may or may not exacerbate the increased spool time of the IS38, possinly making it less "DD-friendly," so that's a consideration. The day I get my Alltrack and start my R-Wagon conversion, I will certainly do the IS20 over the 38.

I think, as a daily driver, that IS20 makes more sense. But everyone has different motives/desires.
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 AM   #77
Hornung418

This thread needs the pics rehosted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hornung418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #78
Newcarsmell

https://i.imgur.com/RxRMhqv.jpg

Picked up some new wheels for the car. Trying out Imgur for an image hosting site.