GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
nate704
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 900
KASPER, what is your experience with UM tune?
Do you have the red tune?
Does it require the TCU tune or Can I just get the high tq tune?
nate704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
flipflp
Senior Member
 
flipflp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
Location: San Gabriel, CA
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 842
I've never actually said I like or don't like a high boost spike, just that most tuners avoid low RPM boost spikes to avoid big torque spikes which can bend rods, and cause surge. With modern tuning, that control is what keeps cars running with stock like reliability, and is definitely preferred by most I'm sure.

Not even sure what an aggressive tune means anymore, but it can't be identified by only the peak boost number.

What I will say, my personal preference for a tuned street driven car is that I would much rather run a blend of ethanol (usually E25-E30 estimated by calculators, I don't have a sensor) to allow for increased timing, rather than push my turbo harder and roll those dice. I'd be willing to bet that a back to back dyno of your car with an ethanol blend peaking at 27-28 PSI will have lower intake temps, higher timing, lower EGTs, and make more power under the curve than your car running only pump gas peaking at 30 psi. And your motor and turbo will be happier for it.

Biggest point I'm trying to make to you is that unless you're actively dynoing your car to find the best setup to push it to the max, just changing peak boost numbers might not be whats best for you. You could be working against yourself.
flipflp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #20
KASPER
Senior Member
 
KASPER's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 MK7R dsg
Location: AMONGST U
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate704 View Post
KASPER, what is your experience with UM tune?
Do you have the red tune?
Does it require the TCU tune or Can I just get the high tq tune?
Ya it does require a tcu tune and UM's tcu tune is great also, not only night and day to stock but night and day different to apr's, for example!
__________________
2017 MK7R Oryx White dsg/dcc/dap, Tinted
Vwr R600, Vwr intake pipe, Vwr inlet, Vwr catch-can, Milltek DP, IE IC, Neuspeed discharge pipe, NewSouth boost gauge, CTS dogbone insert, UM tuned ecu/tcu
KASPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
KASPER
Senior Member
 
KASPER's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 MK7R dsg
Location: AMONGST U
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
I've never actually said I like or don't like a high boost spike, just that most tuners avoid low RPM boost spikes to avoid big torque spikes which can bend rods, and cause surge. With modern tuning, that control is what keeps cars running with stock like reliability, and is definitely preferred by most I'm sure.

Not even sure what an aggressive tune means anymore, but it can't be identified by only the peak boost number.

What I will say, my personal preference for a tuned street driven car is that I would much rather run a blend of ethanol (usually E25-E30 estimated by calculators, I don't have a sensor) to allow for increased timing, rather than push my turbo harder and roll those dice. I'd be willing to bet that a back to back dyno of your car with an ethanol blend peaking at 27-28 PSI will have lower intake temps, higher timing, lower EGTs, and make more power under the curve than your car running only pump gas peaking at 30 psi. And your motor and turbo will be happier for it.

Biggest point I'm trying to make to you is that unless you're actively dynoing your car to find the best setup to push it to the max, just changing peak boost numbers might not be whats best for you. You could be working against yourself.

I got ya. It's mainly living in that 25-28 anyway. I agree I'll be doing UM's port injection and bigger pump probably flex fuel sensor anyway so I can run e85 and naturally it'll lower boost on that fuel anyway. Our pump gas also has 10% ethanol in it maybe that makes an ever so light difference. Like I said it was all "setup" for a 29 spike so 30 not nearly the difference if you were coming from 26 and jumping to a 30 spike. That was really my basic point to begin with, others setup like me, what have you noticed? Did ya even bother with the 1 psi Spike for a half a heartbeat just thought there might be more like me here and obviously there are not.

My car was flashed then data logged on the street and tweaked back n forth anyway as I personally prefer that over a dyno as there isn't nearly as much a load on the car on the dyno as is real world. We're basically on the same page just have different ways of getting there. I will dyno it just for giggles anyway.
__________________
2017 MK7R Oryx White dsg/dcc/dap, Tinted
Vwr R600, Vwr intake pipe, Vwr inlet, Vwr catch-can, Milltek DP, IE IC, Neuspeed discharge pipe, NewSouth boost gauge, CTS dogbone insert, UM tuned ecu/tcu
KASPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #22
Aussie R
Senior Member
 
Drives: MK7 R
Location: Australia
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 176
Kasper, Great list on mods you have!

I'm sure UM know what they are doing but I am surprised they are running so much boost. IIRC there was something mentioned that 28psi was max safe level regarding one of the engine/ecu safety mechanisms. But I'm no expert I just remember reading this.

Like you said if just boost spike and rest of time in that 25-28 then I don't see a problem. I believe that APR was running 27/28PSI on HO files before.

Another thing I remember reading was many that upgraded IC were lowing boost slightly and I think many stage 2 tunes with IC file like APR HO now running around 25 PSI.

I know in UK from what I have read that 2 of the biggest custom tuners over there seem to get same if not more power than APR etc but only using around 22-24 PSI so more to the tuning than just turning up the boost. Maybe that's to do with different fuel and different injector set up in ROW cars. Which is showing has affect as most ROW cars with full bolt ons now getting around 410+HP and 580nm torque which is clearly more than US spec.

Again, I'm not an expert and if there is no issues with tune then nothing to worry about. Whether at 28 or 30psi for split second I doubt would have any real effect.
Aussie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #23
Gawernator
Senior Member
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Location: Fremont, CA
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,412
How much more boost can the R handle vs base and GTI engines?
__________________
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #24
Noize
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Nashville
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 106
Kasper,

I pm'd you about UM before seeing this thread. Didn't hear back yet, but disregard PM. I learned everything I needed in here- UM not gonna be my cup of tea. Way too much boost, not my style at all. I'm going to wait for custom.
__________________
'17 R DSG Stage 2, Wagner IC
'17 GTI SE DSG- 5150 Protuned AP.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #25
KASPER
Senior Member
 
KASPER's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 MK7R dsg
Location: AMONGST U
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Kasper,

I pm'd you about UM before seeing this thread. Didn't hear back yet, but disregard PM. I learned everything I needed in here- UM not gonna be my cup of tea. Way too much boost, not my style at all. I'm going to wait for custom.
Weird, I responded. Lots of options, but through UM, also, just saying. Your local installer/vendor/shop can run you through options. You don't have to spike boost that high if you don't want to, as a matter a fact, you can buy their cable and make minor adjustments as needed/preferred. Boost, octane and launch boost etc anyway there are tons of options out there, research, shop around, buy whatever suits ya personally. Ya can't go wrong with a dyno tune, if the tuners worth a damn, and road tests it afterwards, wasn't an easy option when mine were initially tuned near me. But for the record, they (um) are very well known and respected in vw tuning and basically their dsg tune is accepted as the standard I will state again that both UM tuned mk7r's have performed flawlessly and quite ferociously to date and I'm a very happy customer, twice!
__________________
2017 MK7R Oryx White dsg/dcc/dap, Tinted
Vwr R600, Vwr intake pipe, Vwr inlet, Vwr catch-can, Milltek DP, IE IC, Neuspeed discharge pipe, NewSouth boost gauge, CTS dogbone insert, UM tuned ecu/tcu
KASPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.