GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #35
Al_in_Philly

Drives: 2015 Golf R
Clutches, brakes, and tires are typically excluded from automotive warranties as they are classified as "wear items." These exclusions are always spelled out in your warranty, though few people actually ever read them. Unless any of these parts wear out at an unreasonable rate, say 5K-10K miles (and never been raced), you won't find any manufacturer that will replace them, unless you have a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty which stipulates that such parts are covered.
Al_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #36
Al_in_Philly

Drives: 2015 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr53716 View Post
That's funny because today I literally just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. AND, Greico offers 'breakdown coverage' which covers mechanical malfunctions that the warranty doesn't for 7 years. I opted for this thinking specifically of the Haldex system.
I bet that the night before you made that decision, you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
Al_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
GolfWang

Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
Tell that to the handfuls of people with clutches slipping under stock power who have been denied a warranty replacement on the basis that no defect was found (and therefore it must have been "user error").
Well okay that's the only other one lol, but that one is ~somewhat~ more reasonable from VW's perspective, even though we all know it's still bullshit.
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #38

Drives: F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
The only thing I could think of that would be something they can stand on, would be if they can view how many times you've used Launch Control, and VW has that as a stipulation of "use/abuse."
In the United States the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits such conditions or exclusions.
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #39
GolfWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member View Post
In the United States the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits such conditions or exclusions.
I believe you, but I'd bet that VW would refuse a warranty claim on a Haldex unit if a car had logged that LC had been used on several occasions, even if it hadn't been used in over a year when the failure occurred. At the end of the day the people working at VW corporate who give the ultimate yes/no on warranty work are balancing expectations of whether someone is going to litigate. VW can deny warranty claims all day if they don't believe someone will take them to court (most won't).
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #40

Drives: F150
Quote:
I believe you, but I'd bet that VW would refuse a warranty claim on a Haldex unit if a car had logged that LC had been used on several occasions, even if it hadn't been used in over a year when the failure occurred. At the end of the day the people working at VW corporate who give the ultimate yes/no on warranty work are balancing expectations of whether someone is going to litigate. VW can deny warranty claims all day if they don't believe someone will take them to court (most won't).
I’d guess VWoA is a little leary of breaking any United States federal laws right now. As you say though, it does come down to the individual.

Anyway, knowledge is power and if given a “no, because launches” answer on a Haldex replacement that I felt strongly should be covered under warranty I’d say:
1) Are you familar with federal law that prohibits such exclusions?
2) Is that your final answer?
3) What’s your name?
4) Why? Because I’m gonna make you “Internet Famous”!
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #41
GolfWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member View Post
I’d guess VWoA is a little leary of breaking any United States federal laws right now. As you say though, it does come down to the individual.

Anyway, knowledge is power and if given a “no, because launches” answer on a Haldex replacement that I felt strongly should be covered under warranty I’d say:
1) Are you familar with federal law that prohibits such exclusions?
2) Is that your final answer?
3) What’s your name?
4) Why? Because I’m gonna make you “Internet Famous”!
haha i totally agree with you man, it'd be ridiculous for a company to deny warranty claims because you used a function that was included in the vehicle from the factory lol, but apparently Nissan has been doing it for years with Skyline GTR owners
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #42
fastlax16

Drives: 2016 Deep Black Golf R Manual
Quote:
haha i totally agree with you man, it'd be ridiculous for a company to deny warranty claims because you used a function that was included in the vehicle from the factory lol, but apparently Nissan has been doing it for years with Skyline GTR owners
All manufacturers do it.

Mitsubishi was voiding warranties for track use back in the day. At one point I think they were even giving away scca memberships if you bought an evo. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ev...tions-car-news

Acura actually printed a guys forum posts complete with his mod list and photos of his car with the license plate to deny warranty work on his RSX back when I had one.
fastlax16 is offline   Reply With Quote