GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 AM   #18
COSturmWolke

Drives: 2015 GTI PP, 2013 Tiguan
I drove the 2017 S3 this afternoon and really liked it! For those that have driven the Golf R DSG and the Audi S3, does the engine and transmission feel identical in both cars? Specifically, I noted minimal lag in the S3 from a start and am hoping the golf R feels the same. Thanks!
COSturmWolke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:07 AM   #19
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Depends how you drive them.

The Audi has a different suspension and seats, so it doesn't matter if they have the same drivetrain, they'll still feel different.

You can still find new S3's?
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #20
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post

You can still find new S3's?
Sure; even up here they have one or two on the lot usually. Hell, they have an RS3, in Nardo Gray, here that's been there for months now. Seems no one up here wants to spring for the $58k asking price in the middle of winter for a 400hp small sports sedan with summer tires. Who knew?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #21
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Only 364 HP? I was just at an Audi dealer and they had an 2018 S3. Nicer interior, but it might have been optional. It probably boils down to if you want to spend more money.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
DoctorCat

Drives: 17 Alltrack, MK4 Golf
Personally I'd go for the R. The snob appeal of the audi has the reverse effect on me. I like the fact that the R is just a really well put together GTi and less pretentious than the audi. Also the hatch means it's practical and I can still load it up with my bike or snow gear and take off for a weekend in the hills, or go to the garden center and pick up new plants!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #23
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
It's all a matter of personal choice and preference, of course, but I have never seen the appeal of the A3/S3 really. On paper, maybe; Audi makes some amazing interiors and very classy looking sedans (by my measure at least). But in person, the A3/S3 looks, well, down market compared to the A4 (not surprising given the price difference). Problem is, when you buy an Audi, the reason you want one other than badge envy I guess is, well, all the stuff that makes an Audi an Audi in my book--that slick interior, the feeling of solidity, the classic design, the tech. The A3/S3 doesn't deliver on those things nearly well enough. I find the interior less appealing than pretty much any Wolfsburg Golf version.

The R at least has the benefit of being at the top of VW's stateside non-SUV lineup, and it feels upscale. Go to an Audi dealer and look at an A4 and an A3 (or S4/S3) side by side or one after the other. The difference is amazing. And that makes the premium over the VW rather unpalatable, especially when you through in the higher cost of service at the Audi place, despite the parts being probably the same.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #24
PaulJoseph22

Drives: MK7 VW Golf GT TDI. Night Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
It's all a matter of personal choice and preference, of course, but I have never seen the appeal of the A3/S3 really. On paper, maybe; Audi makes some amazing interiors and very classy looking sedans (by my measure at least). But in person, the A3/S3 looks, well, down market compared to the A4 (not surprising given the price difference). Problem is, when you buy an Audi, the reason you want one other than badge envy I guess is, well, all the stuff that makes an Audi an Audi in my book--that slick interior, the feeling of solidity, the classic design, the tech. The A3/S3 doesn't deliver on those things nearly well enough. I find the interior less appealing than pretty much any Wolfsburg Golf version.

The R at least has the benefit of being at the top of VW's stateside non-SUV lineup, and it feels upscale. Go to an Audi dealer and look at an A4 and an A3 (or S4/S3) side by side or one after the other. The difference is amazing. And that makes the premium over the VW rather unpalatable, especially when you through in the higher cost of service at the Audi place, despite the parts being probably the same.
I much prefer the A3/S3ís interior/exterior than the A4/S4.
PaulJoseph22 is offline   Reply With Quote