GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 02-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #1633
wantone

Drives: focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I guess I found the buyer who purchased the last 17 Sport from that area lol.

I was going to go down that weekend but sadly it wasn't avaliable anymore.
Don't they have one left: https://www.vwking.com/searchnew.asp...GTI&Trim=Sport
wantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:36 AM   #1634
Runnerguy45

Drives: 2011 VW TDi Sportwagen, 2015 TDi Golf,
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
In this case zero - I had done all the negotiation with Lindsay and had a price breakdown for a black sport. When I showed up at Lindsay after getting numerous calls and emails from the salesperson confirming the appointment the car was gone - in a huff I headed to King knowing they still had the most inventory and showed them the Lindsay quote - the price was about $1,000 higher at King with no negotiation, just explaining to them I knew what the dealer cash was. The processing at king was $300 cheaper than Lindsay, and they met me in the middle on price from there. Sales process took just over an hr and a half from start to finish then another hour or so for car to be prepped.

I would be very apprehensive on traveling to any dealer from so far away without a deposit and a firm quote, especially given how limited the inventory is on non S- 17s at this point.

It looks like King has just one sport left at this point - a white manual.
Congrats on the new car. I am leery of King as I filled out information for a price and they called me and said they give no prices over email. I thought wtf ?
I hung up and have been watching things in here. I am turning my TDI in tomorrow and start negotiations with a few dealers up there. I bought my last two VW's over the internet.
Runnerguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #1635
wantone

On a side note, I guess no one who has purchased very recently from Alexandria VW is on this site as no one has mentioned buying. They had the lowest online pricing for their remaining 2017's, even listed lower than King VW. $17,458 before all the extra junk. ALL DSG S models. I'm a manual guy since I started driving, but was tempted at their pricing for a DSG. Not sure I could have lived with a DSG, but no matter, they are ALL gone. Alexandria VW blew them out in the last 2 weeks. Would be really interesting to see how low their pricing was. They had 2 white S DSG models left this morning and I just couldn't fit a visit in my schedule today. Low and behold both are gone as of this afternoon.

Alexandria has a decent reputation so hopefully someone got a smoking deal on those 2 today and the few remaining 2017's before them in the last few weeks. They sold so quickly I assume their pricing was excellent.

Now King VW has a few remaining 17's with lowest online pricing but with their games, probably not blowing them out like Alexandria VW was.

Last edited by wantone; 02-13-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #1636
OneSlowBusa

Drives: 2017 Gti Sport
I agree that tactics like King's online advertised price and failing to give prices over the phone is garbage. In my short experience dealing with DC area VW dealers it seemed they all play the games so many of us hate in the car buying process. My experience at the dealer in person however was fairly positive and I was able to get the vehicle I wanted with little hassle. YMMV. I feel as the availability of hold out 17s continues to shrink, dealers like king will leverage the fact they have the only supply to their benefit
OneSlowBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 AM   #1637
wantone

Quote:
. I feel as the availability of hold out 17s continues to shrink, dealers like king will leverage the fact they have the only supply to their benefit
If a dealer still has a lot of 2017's left then they're probably not a good dealer. I'm realizing this from Honda dealers as well. A very few Honda dealers have 6 or 7 2017 Si models left on the lot. Their reputation is terrible after doing some research. I guess they will sell them at some point. But having so many 2017's left, it shows me they aren't competitive at all. And probably best to stay away. There's a reason they haven't sold older models sitting on the lots for months on end.

I see zero leverage for a dealer holding onto a 2017 VW GTI when the newer model is more appealing for several reasons.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:04 AM   #1638
OneSlowBusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post

I see zero leverage for a dealer holding onto a 2017 VW GTI when the newer model is more appealing for several reasons.
The leverage is the VW backed incentives to the dealership, not available on 18s...
Old 02-13-2018, 04:15 AM   #1639
wantone

Quote:
The leverage is the VW backed incentives to the dealership, not available on 18s...
It's $4000 VW incentive to dealers for 2017 GTI's. (Thanks Shane-Anigans!!) We're already starting to see large 2018 dealer discounts depending on where you live. $500 from VWOA to dealers for 2018's so not too much yet. At some point this $4000 from VWOA to dealers for 2017's will go away. Absolutely insane to have a lot of 2017's sitting on the lots at this point.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #1640
OneSlowBusa

Quote:
It's $4000 VW incentive to dealers for 2017 GTI's. (Thanks Shane-Anigans!!) We're already starting to see large 2018 dealer discounts depending on where you live. $500 from VWOA to dealers for 2018's so not too much yet. At some point this $4000 from VWOA to dealers for 2017's will go away. Absolutely insane to have a lot of 2017's sitting on the lots at this point.
Maybe I should have clarified to more "in demand" models such as the sport. According to autotrader there remains 149 new 2017 Gti within 200 miles of me in SW VA. Good luck in your search. I hope it doesn't come off like I'm backing King as some.great dealer, they just happened to have the trim I wanted at a fair price.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #1641
Runnerguy45

I turned in my 2011 Sportwagon TDI this morning after 300,000 miles since 3-11-12.
My list of dealers include Alexandria VW, Pohanaka and West Broad in Richmond. I told each I want offer in writing, don't care about color and I want DSG, no financing. It's been 15 minutes and still no calls or emails. I bought my previous two VWs this way. This should be fun !
Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #1642
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnerguy45 View Post
My list of dealers include Alexandria VW, Pohanaka and West Broad in Richmond. I told each I want offer in writing, don't care about color and I want DSG, no financing. It's been 15 minutes and still no calls or emails. I bought my previous two VWs this way. This should be fun !

You can expand your search. Several other dealers in that area are pretty good.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #1643
wantone

Quote:
I turned in my 2011 Sportwagon TDI this morning after 300,000 miles since 3-11-12.
Which trim are you looking for? It's usually easier for you to find what you want online and then contact them through their website or email them with specific stock numbers. Also, you're missing two highly rated dealers: Stohlman and Lindsey.
https://www.stohlman-vw.com/new-vehicles/
https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/new-vehicles/
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #1644
Runnerguy45

Quote:
Which trim are you looking for? It's usually easier for you to find what you want online and then contact them through their website or email them with specific stock numbers. Also, you're missing two highly rated dealers: Stohlman and Lindsey.
https://www.stohlman-vw.com/new-vehicles/
https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/new-vehicles/
I've contacted all online through their websites. They don't seem to like guys who don't finance. Thanks for these two dealers !
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #1645
vj123

Quote:
I've contacted all online through their websites. They don't seem to like guys who don't finance. Thanks for these two dealers !

Most dealer prices listed online in that area is with VW / dealer financing. I did not opt their finance and they added $1000 to the final price.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #1646
Runnerguy45

I've got a standing offer of $23,995 for a 17 with no financing. S model DSG.
Two dealers suddenly sold the ones they had in stock after I said no financing. Coincidence ?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:17 AM   #1647
SVTunit

Drives: 2018 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Most dealer prices listed online in that area is with VW / dealer financing. I did not opt their finance and they added $1000 to the final price.
Why not finance and then pay it off immediately?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #1648
vj123

Quote:
I've got a standing offer of $23,995 for a 17 with no financing. S model DSG.
Two dealers suddenly sold the ones they had in stock after I said no financing. Coincidence ?
At this point, only dealers can reply your questions. VW might offer them additional incentives for the 2017s with financing.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 AM   #1649
vj123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTunit View Post
Why not finance and then pay it off immediately?
VW wanted more time to process my application. At that point i had sold my previous vehicle and driving a rental. So the uncertainty and time was not worth it as i had a pre-approved loan from my CU.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote