GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to wire radar detector power to overhead console...

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry if this is here somewhere but I couldn't find it in a search. I found instructions if you have a rain sensor but my 2017 Sport does not. I just need to know how to remove the cover and where to tap the wires. I have the Radarmount Mirrorwire kit.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I would identify the 12V source supplying the overhead console reading lights, and tap into that. Radar detectors don't draw a lot of current, so it shouldn't pose any strain on that circuit.

I was able to find at least the wiring to the front map lights. Unfortunately that terminal block is too small for the terminals on my power tap. I am a bit scared to dig any deeper into that console but I probably need to do that. There must be a main terminal block up there for all of the overhead console switches.

chid

Ready to race!
I would look into finding the connectors both male/female and make my own harness rather than taping into the OEM harness.

I'm looking to do exactly that but for the dash camera.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I would look into finding the connectors both male/female and make my own harness rather than taping into the OEM harness.

I'm looking to do exactly that but for the dash camera.

That's far above my capabilities. The power cord I ordered has the phone jack on one end and a red and a black wire with a spade at the end of each. The directions show finding a main harness and inserting the red into a power slot black into a neutral slot. I just need to dig deeper to find that harness.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
That's far above my capabilities. The power cord I ordered has the phone jack on one end and a red and a black wire with a spade at the end of each. The directions show finding a main harness and inserting the red into a power slot black into a neutral slot. I just need to dig deeper to find that harness.

For what it's worth, the black wire can also be attached to any ground bolt that may be hidden above the console. You really only need to find the 12V.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I’d suggest just running the phone wire from the fuse box, up the A pillar.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So I posted about this on the *ahem, other forum* a while back. I won't link there because I haven't been there in 11 months due to disagreements with asshole mods, but here's an answer I got.

Unfortunately, it sounds like our best bet with the MK7 is always running to the fuse box...

"I tried this a while back with varying success.

You have a few options:

There is 12V key-on power... sort of. The power for the reading lamps can be tapped in to, but it blinks / fades with the cabin lights when the door is open. It also turns off when you activate the reading lamp. I used this to power a radar detector on my Tiguan, and it worked pretty well, as long as you didn't mind the power cycle any time a door was opened then closed.

The CarNet button cluster won't be much help directly. I mapped out all the pins/wires a while back in my "killing carnet" thread and there's no 12V constant or key power. However, if you removed the CarNet box, you could totally repurpose the button harness to provide 12V.

I have not checked sun roof wiring, but chances are it's similar to the Carnet harness - control only, no power.

Other than that, you're probably looking at tucking wires into the airbag pillar. It's not too bad if you can deal with the little pop-out slidey pins - there's a trick to releasing the trim without breaking anything. Then you can tie your new wiring to the existing wiring up the pillar without worrying about ill effects on airbag deployment."

gtiscott

Passed Driver's Ed
One of the wires up there to the lights is a constant on that times out after the car goes to sleep. It's the thicker wire I believe it's brown?? Then there is a nut on the roof which you can use as a ground.

Also if your car has a rain sensor you can use the power from that but it is constant on forever, so you'll want to make sure you have a radar detector that can auto power down. Like the uniden LRD950 dfr7 or R3. Possibly other RD's that have GPS. I am currently using the rain sensor power and ground, as i have a detector that will shut itself off and those wires are super easy to access.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Update. I pretty much took the entire upper console apart. It's not hard and everything snaps in. There is a brown terminal box that faces the driver side (left hand drive) sun visor. I take it that's the main power to this console. The problem I ran into is the spades on my wire would not fit into the slots. I didn't want to do any damage.

I've decided I will get the kit to run the power to the fuse box along the headliner and down the A pillar. It will just be easier.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Update. I pretty much took the entire upper console apart. It's not hard and everything snaps in. There is a brown terminal box that faces the driver side (left hand drive) sun visor. I take it that's the main power to this console. The problem I ran into is the spades on my wire would not fit into the slots. I didn't want to do any damage.

I've decided I will get the kit to run the power to the fuse box along the headliner and down the A pillar. It will just be easier.

This is the way to go. You’ll only need to tuck the main cord into the top of the A pillar. From there to the fuse box just slide it into the weatherstripping on the outside of that pillar. No need to pry on or touch the pillar at all.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
This is the way to go. You’ll only need to tuck the main cord into the top of the A pillar. From there to the fuse box just slide it into the weatherstripping on the outside of that pillar. No need to pry on or touch the pillar at all.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it will be a pretty easy job. I was being too stubborn. But I did learn what's inside the overhead console. Interestingly there are LHD and RHD versions. I guess it makes sense based on the functions of the buttons.

DoctorCat

Passed Driver's Ed
use an add a circuit/fuse module from the autoparts store, run the wire up your pillar (gotta remove it, and tuck in the front headliner, then run it out where the mirror wiring goes.