GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Oh no believe me that’s not the case lol, she was bitching up a storm when I threw on my dp with the stock resonator and muffler delete...that’s where all my drone free exhaust thread came from
Lol. My wife wants me to leave my exhaust how it is, dp and stock from there back. She don't want me to do my exhaust cause it will be "loud"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Hey railroader, did you ever get around to installing a fluidampr?

My wife randomly searches my screen name to see what pops up.

She's going to see these eventually and give me a >:|

Then I point to the pile of purses and go about my day lol.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
From some advice in this thread I reached out to DKM and asked if my kit had the upgraded bolts since some people had issues in their kit. They didn’t verify if I had a bad batch but instead sent me over the good ones and a t shirt immediately. Can’t complain. Here is a copy of the invoice which show the size in case anyone just wants to get them locally.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately those look like the crappy screws they sent me.

That’s cool they sent you a shirt, they should hook up railroader for selling a dozen of these for them with this thread lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie

That’s cool they sent you a shirt, they should hook up railroader for selling a dozen of these for them with this thread lol
Looks like the same bolts that stripped on me. I got a whole set of top grade bolts to replace them with. I don't need a shirt they did me ok with a whole new other clutch kit sitting In my garage as a back up.....although it's not a bad looking shirt lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Hey railroader, did you ever get around to installing a fluidampr?

My wife randomly searches my screen name to see what pops up.

She's going to see these eventually and give me a >:|

Then I point to the pile of purses and go about my day lol.
Lmao...... Oh the fluidampr I still haven't received in the mail.......It has been going in circles from Houston Texas to north Houston and back to Houston for about 2 weeks now. It was ordered on January 4 and shipped on January 29, ecs put the right shipping address but wrong zip. I live in Yuma arizona and they put a Texas zip on there so it's been going in circles, contact ecs they are sending another one out when they get one which are not expected to ship till Feb 27 and the USPS is worthless so someday I'll get it and install it lol

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

:(

Looks like the same bolts that stripped on me. I got a whole set of top grade bolts to replace them with. I don't need a shirt they did me ok with a whole new other clutch kit sitting In my garage as a back up.....although it's not a bad looking shirt lol

:(

Oh well. Maybe the size of the bolts I listed will help someone.

Would bolts from Home Depot work? If so what bolts (material) am I looking for.

Or do I order from here and if is so, what bolt?

https://www.fastenal.com/home

Thanks in advance.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Lmao...... Oh the fluidampr I still haven't received in the mail.......It has been going in circles from Houston Texas to north Houston and back to Houston for about 2 weeks now. It was ordered on January 4 and shipped on January 29, ecs put the right shipping address but wrong zip. I live in Yuma arizona and they put a Texas zip on there so it's been going in circles, contact ecs they are sending another one out when they get one which are not expected to ship till Feb 27 and the USPS is worthless so someday I'll get it and install it lol

You sir, have some luck lol.

Cool. Not looking personally to cut down chatter, but I can tell the crank lost 4 lbs with the DKM vs stock. If that made a difference I'm sure a lighter pulley would too.

Probably the most understated thing I like about this clutch that I didn't realize until yesterday coming home in some slow moving traffic is the lack of fear of letting the revs get low in 2nd and not worrying about it.

Once this is broken in it's gonna be retarded.

Also I noticed you have all these harder mounts, are you looking for response or to mitigate wheel hop? You'll get the former with the stiffer mounts but hop will still happen due to poor axle alignment and binding under load. I know someone who was a huge help in the GM Delta platform (Cobalt, HHR, Ion) that made a set of trans mounts that used the OEM rubber trailing bushings from a MkV control arm, but changed the geometry of the engine so when under load, axle alignment was perfect and no hop or binding happened. Since the bushings were regular ole rubber(alas harder than the stock fluid filled rubber but rubber nonetheless) they had better response than stock but no real increase in NVH.

Honestly it probably could be achieved on our cars with a spacer. I dunno I need to ask him a few questions and stare at some drawings.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You sir, have some luck lol.

Cool. Not looking personally to cut down chatter, but I can tell the crank lost 4 lbs with the DKM vs stock. If that made a difference I'm sure a lighter pulley would too.

Probably the most understated thing I like about this clutch that I didn't realize until yesterday coming home in some slow moving traffic is the lack of fear of letting the revs get low in 2nd and not worrying about it.

Once this is broken in it's gonna be retarded.

Also I noticed you have all these harder mounts, are you looking for response or to mitigate wheel hop? You'll get the former with the stiffer mounts but hop will still happen due to poor axle alignment and binding under load. I know someone who was a huge help in the GM Delta platform (Cobalt, HHR, Ion) that made a set of trans mounts that used the OEM rubber trailing bushings from a MkV control arm, but changed the geometry of the engine so when under load, axle alignment was perfect and no hop or binding happened. Since the bushings were regular ole rubber(alas harder than the stock fluid filled rubber but rubber nonetheless) they had better response than stock but no real increase in NVH.

Honestly it probably could be achieved on our cars with a spacer. I dunno I need to ask him a few questions and stare at some drawings.

Unlike GM our cars don’t have that issue.

BFI stage 2 mounts and I can either hook and go or do an 1/8 mile burnout depending on track prep and my throttle input. No wheel hop here

GM and Honda’s also like to torque steer too. I’ve owned 300+ hp mk6 and 7 and neither wheel hopped or torque steered.

Both did have terrible stock mounts tho, I upgraded well before my first oil change on both cars and never looked back

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Unlike GM our cars don’t have that issue.

BFI stage 2 mounts and I can either hook and go or do an 1/8 mile burnout depending on track prep and my throttle input. No wheel hop here

GM and Honda’s also like to torque steer too. I’ve owned 300+ hp mk6 and 7 and neither wheel hopped or torque steered.

Both did have terrible stock mounts tho, I upgraded well before my first oil change on both cars and never looked back

Well Honda's torque steer because of unequal length half shafts are used a lot and the Cobalt torque steered because it made more power, had a torsen diff, had longer gears, etc, that just exacerbate torque steer issues.

These cars torque steer, the e-diff in the PP does things to help mitigate the amount that happens. As for wheel hop, stiffening up the mounts does help because it keeps axle bind to a minimum, this also adds NVH. The mounts I'm talking about add little to no NVH and you get no hop AND you get response. It's like having your cake and eating it too, and then there's more cake after that lol.

It's the same argument about polyurethane bushings. Yes they make things stiffer but they wear out and need to be replaced after time because they dry up and aren't self lubricating. That's why you see a lot of delrin used in race applications. That stuff doesn't play nice with calcium chloride though so it's not really good for street use if there's ever any snow. Even further you'll almost never see a rubber or poly bushing used in racing if there is a spherical bushing that exists can be put in it's place because they're a one and done thing. Sealed and grease packed, as long as they allow enough movement to let things articulate, they're definitely the way to go.

Going off on a tangent mainly because the aftermarket for these cars is HUGE, but we are overcharged for some of the things that are supposed to be "premium" when in fact they're not. Carbon fiber this and $1000 control arms that come with poly bushings. That's insane.

/end rant

Looks like I'll get to drive home in a bit of snow today. At roughly 200 miles. I need to break this thing in already.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's the same argument about polyurethane bushings. Yes they make things stiffer but they wear out and need to be replaced after time because they dry up and aren't self lubricating. That's why you see a lot of delrin used in race applications. That stuff doesn't play nice with calcium chloride though so it's not really good for street use if there's ever any snow. Even further you'll almost never see a rubber or poly bushing used in racing if there is a spherical bushing that exists can be put in it's place because they're a one and done thing. Sealed and grease packed, as long as they allow enough movement to let things articulate, they're definitely the way to go.

Spherical bearings have their place, but daily driven hatchbacks isn’t really it. They’re not cheap and don’t last as long as you’d think. I’ve changed enough of them in the last seven years to pay cash for my house a few times over (aviation uses them EVERYWHERE) lol

Plus I think the way NVH is always a concern they’d induce way more than is acceptable for 90% of people especially if the whole suspension used them

Anyway we’re way off topic. Well over 2k miles now and loving my clutch