GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up buying a set of 17" GOAL wheels. I am still looking for the right winter tire.
I'll be using the 18" Austin wheels with summer tires.

I think I narrowed it down to either ordering the Sotozero 3 from Tire Rack or having a local shop install a set of Nankang SV2 tires. About the same price all said and done.

Thoughts?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I think I narrowed it down to either ordering the Sotozero 3 from Tire Rack or having a local shop install a set of Nankang SV2 tires. About the same price all said and done.

After a few months, I'm a fan of Michelin X-ice. We've had some medium-heavy snows this year (nothing like we were getting back in 2014), but the city doesn't seem to care about plowing my neighborhood (especially the side streets), and I live on a hill, but they always get me home.

Compared to the Blizzaks I had on my old car, the Michelin seem much quieter and have a nicer ride, though that may be due in part to the excess sidewall I have from buying a set of used tires that aren't the right size.

Honestly though, if you don't drive a whole lot in winter and just need to make sure that you'll get where you're doing, I'm sure the Nankangs will do the job.

MrCradock

Here is my e-Golf with 18" VW Thunder with 225/40R18 Nokian winter tire

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 1,250

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had the Michelin Ice-X's put on. I can't say enough good about this tire. It's a completely different car. Granted I had Atlas brand sport tires that the dealership put on it.

krusty50

Is anyone running 205/50/17 on 7.5" wide wheels ?

Just finalized paperwork on a '18 base GTI that comes with the 17" Brooklyn wheels (17x7.5). I plan on using those wheels during winter since I ordered a set for TSW Nurburgrings for summer.

205-50-17 has a similar ratio to the stock 225-45-17 tires so speedometer accuracy isn't an issue but I'm afraid a 205 tire might be too stretched out on a 7.5 wheel.

A narrower tire is usually better in deep snow hence why I'm considering 205-50 instead of 225-45. I asked the parts guy at the dealership and he didn't recommend it.

Thanks!

Coux

Just bought a brand new 2018 Golf R 2 months ago, and am already starting to look at snow tires and wheels. I ran Blizzak WS70's on my wrx before trading it in, and they worked like a charm. I went though tire rack, and couldn't be happier with my experience.

I'm looking for recommendations for a winter package. The OEM summer tires are 19", and would like to size down, but not sure 18" or 17", what the trade-offs are, and if anyone has any pertinent experience.

year:2018
make:VW
model:R
tires only or winter package:Winter package

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Just bought a brand new 2018 Golf R 2 months ago, and am already starting to look at snow tires and wheels. I ran Blizzak WS70's on my wrx before trading it in, and they worked like a charm. I went though tire rack, and couldn't be happier with my experience.

I'm looking for recommendations for a winter package. The OEM summer tires are 19", and would like to size down, but not sure 18" or 17", what the trade-offs are, and if anyone has any pertinent experience.

year:2018
make:VW
model:R
tires only or winter package:Winter package

I've been looking for the same information. From what I've found, the 17x7.5 are what tire rack is recommending if I want to go 17.

The only reason I want 17 and a bit more rubber is the streets here in Toronto become a minefield of potholes and bumps. In the summer it's bad enough on 19's, it only gets worse with the cold weather and frost heaves.

We don't get a lot of deep deep snow (sometimes we do, but it's infrequent in our winters), it's mostly icy, packed snow and slush for many months (and potholes, lots of potholes).

If we have similar conditions, I'd be interested in what you pick up.

Coux

I've been looking for the same information. From what I've found, the 17x7.5 are what tire rack is recommending if I want to go 17.

The only reason I want 17 and a bit more rubber is the streets here in Toronto become a minefield of potholes and bumps. In the summer it's bad enough on 19's, it only gets worse with the cold weather and frost heaves.

We don't get a lot of deep deep snow (sometimes we do, but it's infrequent in our winters), it's mostly icy, packed snow and slush for many months (and potholes, lots of potholes).

If we have similar conditions, I'd be interested in what you pick up.

Boston is about the same in terms of winters and potholes, with the addition of the occasional or chance of deep snow.

I had a 2014 WRX, and ran Blizzak WS70's in the winters, and I had zero complaints. The OEM tires were 17", and I think I went down to 16". I joined a Facebook group for VW MK7, MK7.5's, and posted a similar question about going down to 17" from 19", and only one person mentioned it was an issue. A lot of GTI owners are saying they run 17" in winter without issue, and that the calipers are the same between R and GTI, but I haven't pulled the specs to verify it.

I will absolutely post back when I pull the trigger.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
My dealer is recommending these god awful ugly tronic 17's for my winter package.

The confusing thing is, they are going to mate them with some Pirelli Winter Ice Zero (studless). I asked twice, are you sure you didn't mean Winter Sotozero, and they insisted, no, they're Winter Ice Zero.

Anyone with any experience with those? Don't you hate those rims?

Edit: Looks like they throw this size on there: 205/50R17 93T X. Damn, how is that going to look?

Last edited:

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
There's a guy near me selling a set of Audi wheels with 255/40/17 Blizzaks that I can probably get a good deal on. I know you're supposed to use narrow tires in the snow, but has anyone here tried wider ones? How bad was it? Still better than all-seasons?

DRJ

My dealer is recommending these god awful ugly tronic 17's for my winter package.

The confusing thing is, they are going to mate them with some Pirelli Winter Ice Zero (studless). I asked twice, are you sure you didn't mean Winter Sotozero, and they insisted, no, they're Winter Ice Zero.

Anyone with any experience with those? Don't you hate those rims?

Edit: Looks like they throw this size on there: 205/50R17 93T X. Damn, how is that going to look?

I have a 2018 R also. There is NO way I am putting those Tronics on - esp at 360/wheel. I've looked at a bunch of stuff online. A friend recommended RTX wheels - anyone else have an opinion on those?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Picked up a set Neuspeed RSE05 a few months ago that the previous owner ran on his MK7 for about 4 months. The tires that came with it were almost brand new but they are wider than I would've liked for a winter setup at 235. With a name like "Arctic Claw" these must be good tires [emoji38]..........[emoji51]

Last edited: