GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perfectly Flush Offset

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What kind of suspension are you running?

My build list is in the link in my signature, but the major components are:

Bilstein B8 shocks
Emanuelle Design/eMmotion Springs (no rear shock pad)
034 Dynamic Camber front shock mounts (~-2+ degrees camber up front)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
You’re wheel gap looks a lot less than mine but gti vs R.

Also running 235/40

I measured it recently and I was ~25" fender to ground on all 4 corners, not sure how that compares to your setup. I do think the offset and camber make it look like there is a lot less gap, but I'm the same height as I was here:

IMG_20171216_091531 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Right, you'll suffer from rubbing.

Get 8x19 or 8.5x19 ET45 (or ET48/50) wheels instead of that silly 9x19 ET35.

Even more 9" and 225 mm isn't a good match at all. 9" requires a 255 to 275 mm wide tire.

Anyway, in most cases spacers are obsolete on rear. Just reduce camber to the lowest permitted value.
Doing this will push the rear wheels out !!!
Remember, after lowering you'll need to have an alignment anyway.

Sorry to necro, but is he saying go to positive camber on rear wheels instead of staggered spacer sizes?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Sorry to necro, but is he saying go to positive camber on rear wheels instead of staggered spacer sizes?

Yeah but don't do that. Positive camber in the rear (at least too positive, especially more positive that the front) is not good for handling. That's a really odd suggestion actually, I've never seen that.

Also I totally disagree with what was said about tire sizes "required* for a 9" wheel. I'm running a 235/40 on a 9" wheel now, and the tire manufacturer says that's within their recommended range. In many cases depending on the brand even a 225 width tire is still within an appropriate range on a 9" wheel. Here's an example, check the specs listed under Rim Width Range:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR8PSSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

That's information straight from Michelin, not something Tire Rack makes up.

Last edited:

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
I measured it recently and I was ~25" fender to ground on all 4 corners, not sure how that compares to your setup. I do think the offset and camber make it look like there is a lot less gap, but I'm the same height as I was here:

IMG_20171216_091531 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

What are those tire/wheel specs? That setup looks amazing.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What are those tire/wheel specs? That setup looks amazing.
Thanks! Check my build thread in my signature for the full info, but it's Konig Rennform 18x9 et 45 with continental extreme sport contact 235/40-18.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

frankiedubbz

Passed Driver's Ed
What spacers would I need to be perfectly flush on my mk7 gti lowered on VWR springs?

18x8 ET35 225/40/18 tires all around

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What spacers would I need to be perfectly flush on my mk7 gti lowered on VWR springs?

18x8 ET35 225/40/18 tires all around

Should already be there.

willtheyfit.com

Those specs equate to the stock Austin wheels (18x7.5 ET49) with 20mm spacers on all corners. Spacer flush kits are 15mm front and 20mm rear.

frankiedubbz

Passed Driver's Ed
Should already be there.

willtheyfit.com

Those specs equate to the stock Austin wheels (18x7.5 ET49) with 20mm spacers on all corners. Spacer flush kits are 15mm front and 20mm rear.
Okay so if i put on my ECS flush kit spacers 15mm front 20mm rear that i already use on my stock Austin's on my aftermarket wheels they will be flush?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Okay so if i put on my ECS flush kit spacers 15mm front 20mm rear that i already use on my stock Austin's on my aftermarket wheels they will be flush?

No, I meant 18x8 ET35 is already the same amount of flush as Austins with 20mm spacers all around. You won’t need spacers in other words.

But the fronts will poke out 5mm more than the Austins did, with 15mm spacers.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys!

I'm planning to get some wider tires for my Stock Austins (235/40/18) between Indy 500s and BfGoodrich comp 2's as well as some spacers between the BFI or ECS flush kits (15mm front 20mm rear) I'm also lowered on H&R sport lowering springs. Do you think I'll have any issues with rubbing?