GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Improvement to the 2x4 method of installing lowering spring.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So glad I came across this method. Will be using it in a few months when installing my VWR springs.

The car is new and will have roughly 3000 miles, do I need to replace any bolts?

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
So glad I came across this method. Will be using it in a few months when installing my VWR springs.

The car is new and will have roughly 3000 miles, do I need to replace any bolts?

They say you're supposed too, but i've not bothered on all the times i've done it. I suspect only a small percentage of people actually do. Maybe if you're taking the axle apart, then invest in new bolts. But even if say the bolt breaks, you'd just hear clunking, as that knuckle is on there pretty damn tight, as you're going to soon find out in a few months ;)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
They say you're supposed too, but i've not bothered on all the times i've done it. I suspect only a small percentage of people actually do. Maybe if you're taking the axle apart, then invest in new bolts. But even if say the bolt breaks, you'd just hear clunking, as that knuckle is on there pretty damn tight, as you're going to soon find out in a few months ;)

I know usual rule of thumb is to replace all the bits but the car is new so I don't think it will be too bad. I did the suspension on my E90 and boy that fucker was a pain to get out, good practice if anything. Only regret is not changing the bearing so now over every bump I hear a squeak. Fun times for the new owner :D

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I did the 2x4 method of removing and re-installing the strut for my lowering springs this weekend. It worked pretty well. I only have to remove the pinch bolt and the top 3 bolts. Didn't touch the LCA or the axle bolts.

Anyway, the 2x4 worked pretty well, but it was unstable on the driver side. My modification is to drill a hole in the 2x4 and bolt it to the sway bar mounting hole in the strut. I used the pinch bolt&nut to do this. It worked really well in preventing the 2x4 from slipping off!

See attached pic.

please can you tell me the wood´s dimension please ??
;)

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
How long does the 2x4 need to be? I've got a couple of scrap 1-2foot pieces, just not sure they'll be long enough.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
There is no set length I usually just cut around 20 inches or so more or less , you just need to be able to reach the strut point and then be able to place the jack underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
There is no set length I usually just cut around 20 inches or so more or less , you just need to be able to reach the strut point and then be able to place the jack underneath

thanks, yea just wanted to see if what i've got already would work, or if i'd have to pick up another 2x4.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
thanks, yea just wanted to see if what i've got already would work, or if i'd have to pick up another 2x4.

I used a 2ft piece of 2x4 (I think mentioned in the DIY threads) and it seemed to be just right length with my 3 ton floor jack when I did the spring install.

DrDavid

Ready to race!
this 2x4 is the best method i could use....

its take only a minutes to get out the springs...... taking careful in every movement of course....

now the rear suspension its too long compare the front with 2x4 :RE

TheDoc46

Ready to race!

No i'd say there is an ideal length. that being 2ft or slightly more. Reason being is if its a little too short when its lifting, you'll get to the point, when the jack will start lifting up on the disc assembly, and not lift only the strut. Much better having it completely clear by being lower than the disc and so you can continue to lift without any hindrance.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
No i'd say there is an ideal length. that being 2ft or slightly more. Reason being is if its a little too short when its lifting, you'll get to the point, when the jack will start lifting up on the disc assembly, and not lift only the strut. Much better having it completely clear by being lower than the disc and so you can continue to lift without any hindrance.

There is an ideal length but is not set in stone, I’m guesstimating my measurement but I can confirm the length that I used 2 days ago on my car, I used this method a bunch of times over the last 10 years and I didn’t have the same length on every 2x4, also it doesn’t have to be 2x4 either but you are correct you have to make sure that it clears , funny thing is that I used a shorter one on the passenger’s side and a longer one on the driver’s side for no particular reason, I’ll measure them both tomorrow (hopefully I’ll remember) [emoji4]

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
I did this method yesterday and it worked really well. I had to remove the front suspension three times because I was chasing noises, but got it figured out in the end.

I ended up using a 23-24 inch 2x6 and it worked really well. 2x4 would have made it easier due to space, but I only had a 2x6 at home.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk