GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjusting lighting package headlights after lowering car

Lopez0101

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 Mk7 GTI
I can't get it to work in OBD11. Dunno if it was broken in an update, it used to work months ago when I was messing with it, but now running basic setting the lights don't move and I just get an AFS error until I acknowledge, but no change. Of course when I actually need to use if after lowering...

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I wondered about this too. Just got an OBDEleven and this is one of the adjustments I need to make asap. Of course if I don't figure it out today or tomorrow i'm just gonna hit the white screws.

Got mine to work through OBD11 without adjusting any screws. If you need help let me know.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I can confirm that the OBDeleven is capable of properly adjusting the headlights without manually adjusting the screws.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Dunno but I have had zero issues.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Interesting, I'd like to try replicating this in VCDS. I just did the adaptation after lowering without adjusting the screws manually. When it gets dark we'll see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
So it looks like it worked. I just ran the adaptation without adjusting the knobs and it's sitting a little higher now. Will update once I can compare to a stock car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Got it, thank you @snorbrdrdan! and thanks to Tom/APR and his Ross-tech link.

So, you don't need to manually adjust anything and can be done via VAGCOM in two minutes.

Select 55- Headlight Range then 04- Basic Settings

Select "Basic Headlamp Setting" and "Go" - headlamps will automatically self-level the aim and you'll see 'Running' in the window. It will settle around 1 to 1.5" higher than original setting - if you view against a wall you'll see better. Once it's finished self-align press 'Stop'.

Then from the same pull-down menu select "Acknowledge Basic Setting" and 'Go'. The new Basic setting has now been stored. Press 'Stop' and 'Done, Go Back'

Check for any fault codes and clear if necessary and theb Close Controller and Exit.

Note: If you forget to "Acknowledge..." your 'new' alignment will not be stored and all reverts to previous/existing settings.

Thanks all

Steve

Worked seamlessly. Thanks Steve.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So when auto-adjusting with VCDS/OB11, how do the headlights know how much higher to go? What do the headlights use as a reference point? With old school headlights, you park a specified distance from a wall, place masking tape at a specific height, then manually aim your headlights at the tape. Does the auto-adjust simply raise the lights an inch by default? I have DG springs which only mildly drops the car by 1/2 inch. I don't want my lights pointing too high. Guess I could always reverse the coding if need be.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There's a leveling sensor on the rear control arms. After lowering my car...my lights were pointing down. Driving home...I was wondering why my lights all of a sudden sucked. The OBDeleven was still on its way so I borrowed a friends VCDS. I just parked on some level ground and ran the adaptation. I was able to see my lights move up.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There's a leveling sensor on the rear control arms. After lowering my car...my lights were pointing down. Driving home...I was wondering why my lights all of a sudden sucked. The OBDeleven was still on its way so I borrowed a friends VCDS. I just parked on some level ground and ran the adaptation. I was able to see my lights move up.

Same experience I had, and the level ground is what is key. The old school light inspections were done on level ground with a grid or layout to adjust height, width, etc. so even though the computer will find it's own "level" it's only as good as the ground you're parked on. Also make sure you do little stuff like apply your parking brake before the car rolls so you're not loading the suspension, don't have 200 lbs in your trunk and so on. I'm sure theres a "by the book" way to do it, but the simple level ground, run the adaptation, profit has worked well for me.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I followed the instructions on post 21 and I don’t think it was successful.

Lowered on DG springs last week. Vcds user (latest version). 2016 GTI (Canada). Previously removed NAR headlight restrictions (if that’s relevant)

Entered the required security code and ran “resetting of all adaptations”. This showed “finished correctly” after just a few seconds. And then “not running” after a few more seconds. Clicked “stop”.

Selected “acknowledge basic setting” and “go”, immediately displayed “ERROR: Request Sequence Error”.

I was parked on a flat surface in the garage but quite close to a wall. Not sure if the beam raised at all. Concerned it won’t stick there, because of the error above.

Any thoughts / advice?

I suppose I could just take it to someone and have the manual adjustment done.