GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone read books still?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
The other day somebody at my place of employment was stunned I was reading on my lunch break, not my phone, but a book. With real paper pages and everything. They mentioned that it had been a long time since they saw anyone face first in a book for pure pleasure reasons. I always have a book in progress, somewhere, sometimes multiple.

It just got me wondering though, is it that rare these days to see someone pleasure reading a book, especially somebody my age(26)? Amazon even asks me before I checkout "are you sure you don't want to try the electronic version?" Yes Amazon, I am sure.

Who else still picks up a book for leisure? If so, what do you fancy?

I pretty much read nonfiction World War books. Almost entirely.

P.S. Happy 75th anniversary of the First Navel Battle of Guadalcanal

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Tablets have severely curtailed my reading. The problem is, I also like non-fiction and historical books. Every time I run across a name, place, or other reference, I bail out and look it up on Wikipedia. After 3-hours, I realize I've only read 20-pages of the actual book. Tablets don't smell right either ;)

I should start buying real books again, and leave the tablet in the other room where I can't easily reach for it.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Tablets have severely curtailed my reading. The problem is, I also like non-fiction and historical books. Every time I run across a name, place, or other reference, I bail out and look it up on Wikipedia. After 3-hours, I realize I've only read 20-pages of the actual book. Tablets don't smell right either ;)

I should start buying real books again, and leave the tablet in the other room where I can't easily reach for it.
Curb the tablet! Save the paperbacks!

Lol we suffer from the same problem, wanting to know more. That's usually what leads me from book to book. A person, ship, or battle reference on one then the follow up book the specifically covers that topic/person/event. However, as you mentioned, the internet makes it super easy to curb said itches for more knowledge.

You should man, a fresh book smells way better ;) Hahahaha

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
About halfway through. Real actual book from the library.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Here - if you like war history, you should read "The Making of the Atom Bomb." It's not a new book, but is one of the best I've read.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Atomic-Bomb-25th-Anniversary/dp/1451677618

There's just enough physics so that a layman can understand the challenges. Lots of philosophical conflict between the physicists, and of course WWII history.

OK, I'll admit, I read it on my tablet....:eek:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Kindle on the phone is just so damn convenient.
Waitng at the dmv, pull up kindle.
Waiting for everyone to show up at restaurant. Kindle.
Doctor's office. Kindle.

Carrying a book around just doesn't work

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Here - if you like war history, you should read "The Making of the Atom Bomb." It's not a new book, but is one of the best I've read.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Atomic-Bomb-25th-Anniversary/dp/1451677618

There's just enough physics so that a layman can understand the challenges. Lots of philosophical conflict between the physicists, and of course WWII history.

OK, I'll admit, I read it on my tablet....:eek:
I almost borrowed that once, I was obsessed with atomic weapons for a few years. The physics and design of them mostly.

Amazing at how not complex they are, really.

Perhaps it's time to get it. I just ordered a fresh read called "Sink Em' All" by Admiral Lockwood, commander of U.S. Submarine forces in the Pacific theater. That's been the topic of my reads lately. What a job....

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Kindle Paperwhite here. I read at night before bed and the backlight is just too convenient compared to cumbersome book lights and side table lamps. Feels easier on the eyes as well since I can make the type face whatever size I want. Not to mention I can carry around my whole library in a thing smaller than the size of one paperback. On track to finish 16 books this year, but they're mostly sci-fi or fantasy fiction. I think I've had a couple historical nonfiction in there at some point in 2017.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I take the hybrid approach. For junk fiction that I read for entertainment, my Kindle Paperwhite is great, but when there's a book I really like and want to keep a long time, I buy a hard back for my library.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Kindle Paperwhite here. I read at night before bed and the backlight is just too convenient compared to cumbersome book lights and side table lamps. Feels easier on the eyes as well since I can make the type face whatever size I want. Not to mention I can carry around my whole library in a thing smaller than the size of one paperback. On track to finish 16 books this year, but they're mostly sci-fi or fantasy fiction. I think I've had a couple historical nonfiction in there at some point in 2017.

Have you read Wool? Pretty good Scifi IMO.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I'm just happy to see some guys on this forum actually read, regardless of whether it is paper or electronic.

(And besides car stuff !)

Having said that, these days I only buy books on Kindle, due to the convenience. I do have a couple book shelves with hardcover and paperback books. That reminds me, I need to dust them lol. Last Kindle book I bought is "The Sky Below" by a NASA astronaut. Haven't begun it yet.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I prefer books, however I have switched to an iPad for reading.
Wife tends to go to bed early, and I will typically join her, but it's lights off so reading an actual book proves to be a tad difficult.

Wool looks interesting, I will put that one on my list.
Currently reading Dan Browns new one.
If you have read anything else of his than I'm sure you'll understand my one word review being: "predictable".

Next on the list is Artemis, written my Andy Weir (author of The Martian).

If you like Sci-Fi though, my favorite book I read this year was Dark Matter written by Blake Crouch.

Last edited: