GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R Track Use: What's needed to be "track ready"?

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
OK guys here is the thing. I did a track day, I had a ton of smoke behind me braking from the straight at 145mph+ down to about 35mph, I figured ah my brakes ok fine. Well this was happening every few laps, again I figured brakes, stock pads etc. Well after examining my video's I see it was from my tailpipes, later I find this article http://www.racingline-performance.com/vwr-oil-catch-can#Oil-Surge-DYK

I see now that there is an oil surge issue with the MK7, the majority of track day guys probably won't experiance this because well lets be honest, no balls! Kidding, kind of but really most people wont be seeing these conditions that I saw. Crazy thing about it is I was on PSS tires, not track tires so it would be even worse with some real nice 100 tread wear tires. For an example of this here is a video of it happening in my car. Start watching at 7:00 and watch me brake from the straight.

So needless to say this catch can is next on my list to see if this solves it, now I really hope I did not cause any damage.
I had the same issue with my 7 R. And you are right, to experience this
issue you need a certain speed on track, corner speed and brake hardness
that most of the MK VII drivers will never notice it.

Indeed, the only solution is the VWR catch tank system. Cause it not only
catches up the oil which was pressed out of the crankcase otherwise. It also
gives it back into the oil system. For more info look into this thread:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20076&highlight=WTB+VWR+Catch

You need to add the Catch Tank asap cause the oil you send through all
parts of your motor (draft tube, turbo, exhaust, catalysator) leaves lots
of oil mud everywhere. There will be coming an increasing loss of power
shortly. Knock sensor will detect more knocking and set the point of ignition
back and back. I can tell you something about it. In the end I had a loss
of 40 - 50 HP of power and 50 - 80 Nm of torque. So, do it, man. Fast!

Last edited:

edge04

Ready to race!
can confirm that the MK7 can benefit from some camber. After doing some research doesn't look like it's an easy fix, especially if you want track and street use.

This is what my fronts look like after 2 sessions. And I'm not pushing the car at all. 50's out - cold tire pressure 38 after tire pressure 46

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
So from this thread, I guess the consensus is the R's brakes are good if you're a beginner or intermediate. But not so good for track experienced, late brakers?

I'm thinking of reverting my track prepped MK6 GTI and going with a MK7 R. My stoptechs brake bleeder valves are seized to the caliper and I can't helicoil in new bleed screws according to Zechausen. I was thinking of getting a new bbk to replace the toasted calipers but maybe a R and a dedicated track car would be better?

makopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
So from this thread, I guess the consensus is the R's brakes are good if you're a beginner or intermediate. But not so good for track experienced, late brakers?

ESC/brake assist Adaptations made a huge difference in brake feel and ability to modulate.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

I'm thinking of reverting my track prepped MK6 GTI and going with a MK7 R. My stoptechs brake bleeder valves are seized to the caliper and I can't helicoil in new bleed screws according to Zechausen. I was thinking of getting a new bbk to replace the toasted calipers but maybe a R and a dedicated track car would be better?

I am a student running in the advanced groups (pre-approved for solo with the clubs I mostly run with) with 22 track days in the R and 40 overall. On Monday my shop will be installing TTRS air deflectors, removing the dust shields, heat-wrapping the brake and ABS lines, and installing a caliper bushing kit from ECS. I have had good success with Ferodo DS2500 pads. My R has a high output stage 1 APR tune, camber plates, a spring setup from Ground Control that has been corner balanced, and a thicker rear sway. I have been running 200 treadwear tires but I have a set of NT01's that will go on the car for a September event at Laguna Seca. I'll be finishing off some Star Specs at an event at The Ridge in WA next month.

I am not yet at the point where I feel that I need a BBK. I expect I will get to that point eventually, mostly driven by a wider selection of pads, but I'm not there yet. A $3500-$4000 investment is a big chunk of change and I want to be absolutely sure I can't make the stock brakes do what I need them to do before I make that investment.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I am a student running in the advanced groups (pre-approved for solo with the clubs I mostly run with) with 22 track days in the R and 40 overall. On Monday my shop will be installing TTRS air deflectors, removing the dust shields, heat-wrapping the brake and ABS lines, and installing a caliper bushing kit from ECS. I have had good success with Ferodo DS2500 pads. My R has a high output stage 1 APR tune, camber plates, a spring setup from Ground Control that has been corner balanced, and a thicker rear sway. I have been running 200 treadwear tires but I have a set of NT01's that will go on the car for a September event at Laguna Seca. I'll be finishing off some Star Specs at an event at The Ridge in WA next month.

I am not yet at the point where I feel that I need a BBK. I expect I will get to that point eventually, mostly driven by a wider selection of pads, but I'm not there yet. A $3500-$4000 investment is a big chunk of change and I want to be absolutely sure I can't make the stock brakes do what I need them to do before I make that investment.

Didn't think they made bushing kits for Mk7 callipers. Link?
I've fitted TTRS air deflectors. Seems to do the trick with the dust covers off. Just needs a lot of dremmel work to fit and not rub on anything. I ended up just zip tying mine instead of using the OEM bots etc. As on the different LCAs the bolt hole doesn't put it in a very good position IMO.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Didn't think they made bushing kits for Mk7 callipers. Link?
I've fitted TTRS air deflectors. Seems to do the trick with the dust covers off. Just needs a lot of dremmel work to fit and not rub on anything. I ended up just zip tying mine instead of using the OEM bots etc. As on the different LCAs the bolt hole doesn't put it in a very good position IMO.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/performance-caliper-guide-bushing-set/003326ecs01-02kt/

I've seen similar comments/photos on the air deflectors. I've printed those out and will hand them over to my shop. I have a set of Superpro LCA's in the garage and I have a feeling they'll stay there until I sell them. I don't think I want as much caster as they add, and they will complicate the air deflector business.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/performance-caliper-guide-bushing-set/003326ecs01-02kt/

I've seen similar comments/photos on the air deflectors. I've printed those out and will hand them over to my shop. I have a set of Superpro LCA's in the garage and I have a feeling they'll stay there until I sell them. I don't think I want as much caster as they add, and they will complicate the air deflector business.

Will be keen to hear your feedback on the bushing kit once fitted and tracked.

edge04

Ready to race!
are those intended to be for the rears? Haven't looked closely but seem more geared for the rears.

They don't fit the Mk7R and the ECS Tuning application guide is in error. Fortunately I am still within the 90 day window where I am eligible for a cash refund.

kyle251

Car(s)
MK7 golf R estate
I currently have 19 track days on my R with a weekend at Laguna Seca coming up in 2 weeks. If you are new to HPDE events, then your skills are going to be the limiting factor and not the car. Your best option is to spend money on seat time, and the experience you gain will tell you what the weak points on the car are. Right now, that weak point is probably you.

If you want to spend money on the car, then good 200 treadwear tires are your biggest bang for the buck. RE71R's are great tires, but they wear out fast on the track. I run Dunlop ZII Star Specs as they are a good compromise between performance and tire life.

Camber is not adjustable in this car without changing to longer control arms or using camber plates. None of the camber plate options out there are user adjustable. I am running Ground Control camber plates and unlike most options they are adjustable without removing the strut, but they are still not user adjustable (unless you have an alignment rack in your garage).