GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which short shifter

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
i read the dieselgeek kit is really notchy? whats your take? I don't know what OEM felt so I cant say if my spulen (front back only) is notchy since my car had it when I bought it..what I like about spulen is its adjustable..in comparing pics of OEM and spulen it looks like previous owner had it set close to stock although my buddy who test drove it said throw felt shorter compared to his 17R

"Notchy" is relative, and everyone has a different take. I find the Dieselgeek action to be very positive, in that it does indeed have a solid thunk when it engages. Some folks might consider it notchy I suppose. The stock action felt like you were rowing the gear lever through some sort of viscous fluid with the approximate density of organic peanut butter. This feels, well, like a performance car manual transmission should, IMO.

It is adjustable, though the process is fairly labor intensive in that it involves adjusting several (up to eight) Allen screws and, usually, locking the gear shift lever in place with the include pin, all of which needs to be done with the air box out of the car so it's not quite a simple one and done. I had to adjust mine a few times to get it where I wanted it (or, in the first case, to even get the car in gear), but that's not unusual with this sort of thing.

I second the suggestion though that you first get a heavy short-throw shift knob from someone like Raceseng or BFI or whatever and try that first. The installation is easy, and it makes a big difference. I almost went with just the knob, but I had already ordered the Dieselgeek part so I put that in anyhow. Glad I did, but a better knob might just do the trick.

AR11

Ready to race!
I hate when people ask easily searchable questions like I'm about to do but since I'm in the relevant thread anyway...

Which parts/brands should I look in to in order to take the slop out of the stock shifter but decreasing the throw the least?

Frankly I feel like the stock clutch feel is more problematic than the shifter action. Already did the spring and going after the flow valve soon.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I had the diesel geek sigma 6 short shifter and APR shifter cable bracket in the engine bay. Inside the car I had BFI heavy weight shift knob and Alcantara shift boot. The shift action is very direct. You KNOW when the transmission is in gear or not.

That said, I had to go back to stock recently because the car needed to have a visit to the dealership to investigate a transmission rattle.

Going from a short shifter back to stock isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only complaint I have is that it feels a little vague. That can be fixed with metal bushings.

I'm actually selling the short shifter to a buddy that recently picked up a mk6 Golf R. He desperately needs it more than I do.

My future plans are to get the metal bushings and OEM metal cable bracket and all metal OEM+ short shifter. Something like the "shorty's" short shifter.

Last edited:

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I hate when people ask easily searchable questions like I'm about to do but since I'm in the relevant thread anyway...

Which parts/brands should I look in to in order to take the slop out of the stock shifter but decreasing the throw the least?

Frankly I feel like the stock clutch feel is more problematic than the shifter action. Already did the spring and going after the flow valve soon.

Honestly you should look at the shifter endlink bushings, that is primarily where most of the slop or vague feeling comes from. You can take it one step further and change out the cable bracket's bushings as well, but for most people the cable end link bushings will remove 90% of that vague feeling.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
That said, I had to go back to stock recently because the car needed to have a visit to the dealership to investigate a transmission rattle.

Interesting. Is it generally true that something as minimal as a short shift kit will cause the ire of the dealer in terms of warranty work? I guess maybe only if the issue is specifically transmission related?

I would hate, hate, HATE to have to redo the damn install of the shift stuff. It was nightmarish to begin with.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Interesting. Is it generally true that something as minimal as a short shift kit will cause the ire of the dealer in terms of warranty work? I guess maybe only if the issue is specifically transmission related?

I would hate, hate, HATE to have to redo the damn install of the shift stuff. It was nightmarish to begin with.
Indeed. Some dealers are more mod friendly than others, but I didn't want to risk it.

I'll say this much... If I get another short shifter kit it'll be a OEM or modified OEM shifter. The diesel geek short shifter just didn't seem to feel right in the mk7. Don't get me wrong, I had it on my car for the last 10-12k miles. Love the direct feel of it when paired with the BFI heavy weight shift knob!

The ease of installation of a OEM shift mechanism is a snap. The diesel geek sigma 6 isn't too bad to install (watch his install videos!). But it does take a bit of extra time to get it dialed in right.

Here's the 4 part install video that Jim (owner of dieselgeek) put together. While this was done on a mk6 TDI, the actual transmission shift mechanism is pretty much identical:
https://youtu.be/B5EMACf8tKQ

https://youtu.be/hhqEHHvgFBE

https://youtu.be/ZlO5Lb-Bk5o

https://youtu.be/kV0sClC_kNQ

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The ease of installation of a OEM shift mechanism is a snap. The diesel geek sigma 6 isn't too bad to install (watch his install videos!). But it does take a bit of extra time to get it dialed in right.

Heh. I put in the DG shifter in June I think. The videos were of some help, but the Mk7 R has a different interior layout in regards how easy it is to actually get human sized hands in to the space you have to be in to do the work, and the bushing for the front to back (the bigger piece) is also different than in their basic documents or videos. But the biggest issue for me was simply getting the frigging stock shift off--the metal thingy that you're replacing, the one that sits on top of the whole thing. That sucker damn near killed me even with a batter terminal puller.

That and the adjustments, because getting a 4mm Allen wrench into the tiny space there was nigh-on impossible until I finally found a right-angle socket thingy of the appropriately small size. So, I have zero interest in ever doing that again, now that it's dialed in. The mere thought of reinstalling the stock parts makes me shudder, and not with joy.

radoroc

Ready to race!
The stock shifter is fairly short, and the shortest stock VW shifter I've ever owned/driven. The problem is the vague and notchy feel. It did get a bit better over time and the dogbone insert helped somewhat.

AR11

Ready to race!
Has anyone upgraded the bracket/bracket bushings or cable ends with the stock shifter geometry intact? I'm curious to know if I can improve the shift without actually shortening it.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Boomba short shifter adapter. Love it! Well made, inexpensive, super easy to install. Highly recommended.

Also have the BMS clutch stop and BFI knob installed. Shifting life is good.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
What this thread says to me is:

1. No one really likes the stock shifter. Some tolerate it, some loathe it, no one loves it.
2. Everyone has a different "sweet spot" for their manual shifting.
3. All the after market solutions offer slightly different experiences, and one size does not fit all.

tl;dr, tons of options, no guarantees. My personal recommendation FWIW would be start with the lowest impact, a clutch stop! Then, generally a shift knob replacement. After that, move to the easiest to install bushing replacement, where you don't have to unbolt the metal bracket sitting on top of the transmission. Only after that I'd recommend going the full Monty and wrestling that beast off for a full shift kit deal. I wish I had gone this route in some ways. I love my Dieselgeek shifter but I suspect I could have gotten to a happy place without all that muscle strain (because yes, that shift bracket is as hard to get off as all of the horror stories say, at least it was for me!).

Also, this is my only car. If I had another one, and this was my project car, I'd not give two hoots about how long or hard the install was really.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Has anyone upgraded the bracket/bracket bushings or cable ends with the stock shifter geometry intact? I'm curious to know if I can improve the shift without actually shortening it.

I did the cable end link bushings before going all in with the full short shifter kit and bracket bushings. The end link bushings will make your shifts feel crisper without changing the throw distance. They work very well in my opinion and there are a few companies that offer them so you have choices. I will say they can sometimes be a bit of a PITA to install as you have to cut the rubber out of the end links to fit the upgraded bushings in, but it is worth it in the long run. :)

Last edited: