GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member, potential R-buyer

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
hey, thanks for the feedback! I'm sure that modded '11 STI was a blast to drive, but I have to agree with you on the car's rattles. I was just complaining about that to my girlfriend the other day.

I've only tracked my sti a few times (2-3 maybe) in the almost-5-years of ownership so I doubt I would be tracking the Golf-R much, if at all. I have a 2014 ZX6R and I MUCH prefer doing motorcycle track days...much more fun and more skill involved!!!

As for the Focus RS, that one was eliminated from the list for a few reasons. First off it's way too pricey (here a new one sells for $49,500 lowest which is about $6,000 more than the Golf DSG), I despise the interior, and most reviews stated it really was not as much of a daily as the Golf R is (loud, less comfortable, suspension too stiff etc). Also I don't believe the resale will be very good. Must admit it is quite the vehicle though!

Gotcha, you can find new RS's down here cheap, the hype train has left, guess its with Honda now lol

Ya, if you're basically talking street car, dsg golf R with a stage 1 tune is a pretty sweet little setup. I've got a 16 setup that way and a more modded 17, both are really nice dd. I continue to be impressed, damn decent in snow also with snow wheels/tires. I was one of those guys that swore I'd never spend that kinda $$$ on a hot hatch lol. Now I don't know why you'd spend 40gs any other way on a dd.

They really are a cut above, sti's, evo's, focus rs's for every day livability. A stock dsg R wins the drag race against any of those stock for stock, launch control is a beautiful thing. And a tuned dsg R will hand every one of those versions tuned its ass at a stoplight, even if they have heavy bolt ons, in most cases. Vw has a pretty nice hot hatch as a daily driver and the cars really come alive compared to their competitors with the aftermarket.

Good luck, only a few more months of rattles :)

tinymusic

Had a lot of different vehicles the past 10-years; E30, E34, Miata, Volvo, Nissan, Audi, Honda, VW, even Hyundai momentarily.. now a '17 6-speed R. I'm absolutely pleased with every aspect of it. The utility these cars offer, considering their potency as a drivers car is fantastic. The comfort, considering their dexterous engagement with the road is a treat, truly a great all-rounder. After a day in a '12 Maserati Quattroporte recently- I was left only with longing for that graceful engagement with the road that the R offers. It's also rather under the radar in appearance, which is refreshing to me personally. It's just a Golf- with something up its sleeve. My opinion should be clear now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Gotcha, you can find new RS's down here cheap, the hype train has left, guess its with Honda now lol

Ya, if you're basically talking street car, dsg golf R with a stage 1 tune is a pretty sweet little setup. I've got a 16 setup that way and a more modded 17, both are really nice dd. I continue to be impressed, damn decent in snow also with snow wheels/tires. I was one of those guys that swore I'd never spend that kinda $$$ on a hot hatch lol. Now I don't know why you'd spend 40gs any other way on a dd.

They really are a cut above, sti's, evo's, focus rs's for every day livability. A stock dsg R wins the drag race against any of those stock for stock, launch control is a beautiful thing. And a tuned dsg R will hand every one of those versions tuned its ass at a stoplight, even if they have heavy bolt ons, in most cases. Vw has a pretty nice hot hatch as a daily driver and the cars really come alive compared to their competitors with the aftermarket.

Good luck, only a few more months of rattles :)

man, that's great to hear! I look forward to trying out the Golf-R. A friend of mine is very interested in buying my STI when I'm ready so if all works out I would have a new golf-R next spring. Always wanted a newer EVO but again, too expensive here and I do love the look of the Subarus (even if some say boy racer!) but I am sure I will appreciate the golf, especially for daily driving.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Had a lot of different vehicles the past 10-years; E30, E34, Miata, Volvo, Nissan, Audi, Honda, VW, even Hyundai momentarily.. now a '17 6-speed R. I'm absolutely pleased with every aspect of it. The utility these cars offer, considering their potency as a drivers car is fantastic. The comfort, considering their dexterous engagement with the road is a treat, truly a great all-rounder. After a day in a '12 Maserati Quattroporte recently- I was left only with longing for that graceful engagement with the road that the R offers. It's also rather under the radar in appearance, which is refreshing to me personally. It's just a Golf- with something up its sleeve. My opinion should be clear now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice, makes me even more excited/impatient to go put a damn deposit down. DAMNIT! lol

Looking at some of the buyers of the 2018 online, it seems their receipt date has been pushed from October to January currently, at least for Canada. I am wondering when I should put down my deposit, if I only want to take delivery next April-May (Was thinking November or December, but may even be too soon if their production begins to ramp up?) not familiar with VW production lead times, since Subaru already has their 2018's on the floor (and man do they look good :p)

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
To be honest I originally set out to buy a focus rs this year and did a ton of research on them. I finally went to the dealer to go test drive it and hated it. I was very disappointed with the interior and the overall layout. When trying to drive I was hitting the seat and center console when trying to shift into 24&6. Then I went in to at least see what the price was on it and the cheapest the could do was 6k over msrp because they were in "high demand" and needed to be ordered. Needless to say I walked away. This was before people started to realize ford designed the rear diff to automatically cut out and shift to front wheel drive only when it got hot on track days. A no go for me.

Needless to say I tried the golf r out and loved everything about it and still don't regret it, nor the price I paid for it :)

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
To be honest I originally set out to buy a focus rs this year and did a ton of research on them. I finally went to the dealer to go test drive it and hated it. I was very disappointed with the interior and the overall layout. When trying to drive I was hitting the seat and center console when trying to shift into 24&6. Then I went in to at least see what the price was on it and the cheapest the could do was 6k over msrp because they were in "high demand" and needed to be ordered. Needless to say I walked away. This was before people started to realize ford designed the rear diff to automatically cut out and shift to front wheel drive only when it got hot on track days. A no go for me.

Needless to say I tried the golf r out and loved everything about it and still don't regret it, nor the price I paid for it :)

The Focus RS was never even an option for me; I won't even go LOOK at one let alone test drive one! Just not the car for me, it's a Ford and I won't be paying that kind of price for that. I'd re-buy a 2018 STI 10x over the new RS lol.

Glad you are happy with your purchase! You guys are making me impatient LOL

Last edited:

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

So a little update: went to the dealer down the street from me, who had a pretty high rating in terms of feedback and reviews. Guy was nice. Put down a deposit on a 2018 DSG golf-R in Indium Gray metallic :D I will take delivery in April to avoid putting it through the harsh winter months (the guy was very relieved that I asked to have it only in April as opposed to February-March, since he said that'd be too rushed and most other buyers want it ASAP)

Pretty excited but will be more excited once I get more news, and once it gets closer to delivery date. Although I didn't get to test drive the R yet (they had none in stock), the guy said as soon as they get one in he'd call me for a test. I told him I absolutely want to drive it before mine gets in. He seemed cool with all that. I also got a $500 discount for being a new grad (I get my Master's degree diploma next month yay). So I paid MSRP minus $500, which is what I expected for a car I got customized to my liking.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Called the dealer late December before the holiday vacation and he told me estimated delivery date in their system was end of February but no solid date yet. A bit earlier than expected, but I imagine I could be taking delivery early to mid-march if the car is on time. Salesman said he'd call me back in January once he receives a 2018 (or older) golf-R for me to do a little test drive. Looking forward to the new car....it's getting CLOSE!

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Or for your test drive you can do what many of us in the lower 48 had to do: drive a current higher spec GTI to get the general idea, then imagine it having a boatload more power and torque, plus actual traction to put that power down (especially in the wet).

You won't be disappointed.

Neil

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I guess I was lucky; two years ago when I bought mine, I just wandered in, got a test drive, and bought it. Now, I then owned a GTI bought from the same folks, admittedly.

Funny thing. The salesman who sold me my car left a message on my cell phone this evening, checking up on me on the two year anniversary of the sale. I'm shocked he's still there, as turnover tends to be high at most places.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Called the dealer late December before the holiday vacation and he told me estimated delivery date in their system was end of February but no solid date yet. A bit earlier than expected, but I imagine I could be taking delivery early to mid-march if the car is on time. Salesman said he'd call me back in January once he receives a 2018 (or older) golf-R for me to do a little test drive. Looking forward to the new car....it's getting CLOSE!

Driving wise, they're both the same except for (I think) the 2018 has pedestrian detection. You'll want to by a Ross-Tech.com VCDS cable.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
My dealership had three golf r's when I went over. They had been buying the order tickets from other dealerships across Georgia. When I was there, they were actually exchanging one of the black dsg r's for one from Mississippi because Georgia was the next closets one with the one the buyer wanted. They had the only R's supposedly in the state of georgia

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
I guess I was lucky; two years ago when I bought mine, I just wandered in, got a test drive, and bought it. Now, I then owned a GTI bought from the same folks, admittedly.

Funny thing. The salesman who sold me my car left a message on my cell phone this evening, checking up on me on the two year anniversary of the sale. I'm shocked he's still there, as turnover tends to be high at most places.

Sounds like some great service! Hopefully I'll have as good an experience with my dealership/salesman. My Subaru salesman was a friend of a friend, in which case we're friends now too, he's a cool guy. Didn't seem disappointed when I changed my mind from a 2018 STI to a 2018 Golf R purchase (actually was raving about the new golf-R's before I made my decision).

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Driving wise, they're both the same except for (I think) the 2018 has pedestrian detection. You'll want to by a Ross-Tech.com VCDS cable.

Wondering about this as I hear about VDCS all over the forums. Sounds exactly like the tactrix cable I have now that plugs into the OBD!! port, I am able to use it on my current Subaru STI, but originally purchased to tune my old chevrolet cobalt way back when...I guess they use different platforms so probably not useable on the new golf-R? I plan on potentially doing a Unitronic stage 1 after "break-in", so would it not be better to just get the uniconnect cable along with a unitronic engine and DSG tune?

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Also, does anyone have experience with negociating for some extras before signing? My plan is to try and negociate either a set of decent winter tires at dealer cost, and/or a discount on a VW maintenance package, and trying to drive down the price for the extended warranty if they are willing to play ball. I have no issues paying MSRP for the car (I know it's worth it), but as the car is still on route and I have not signed anything yet besides putting my $1K deposit down. I would like them to at least hook me up with a deal to make us both winners. Pretty fair IMO.