GOLFMKV

GTI owner thinking of swapping to a Golf R

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
JUST BUY THE GAWDAM CAR ALREADY!!!

:D

evolDiesel

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a GTI with $15K in upgrades and 394Hp/402Tq. With the right tires, engine, trans, dogbone mount, rsb, endlinks, on as on, it still struggles in 1st & 2nd and with less than ideal weather I've had it brake loose in 5th. It's very seldom I get to drive like that. With me inside of it, my torque to weight ratio is the same as my 1200cc Buell Firebolt, which explains why I can do the things I can* (*anytime I'm over 45mpg and perfect pavememt). I would take on just about anything from 45mph. Top speed 181mph. But, I digress. My original point was (1) I hardly ever get to drive it at even 60% of its potential and (2) with the right upgrades and tires you will be shocked how much can go to the ground in a GTI. Oh, and the braking has been and continues to be the most impressive feature of my car. I see it in the expression of coworkers when I take them thru my favorite, unofficial Autox parking lot at lunch.

Last edited:

Buffgli

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GLI
I test drove several R’s before buying my ‘18 DSG R. I was about stuck in-between the manual and DSG, but as the ‘18 started to go quick around the area, I decided I just wanted an R so I was going buy whatever was available. After the test drive, I was hesitant, as I didn’t like the feel of the clutch in the car. Coming from a MKV with a CM FX350, the clutch felt numb and too light for my taste. I ended up having another dealer trade for the only grey DSG in NY, PA and OH, and I couldn’t be happier with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loonster

Ready to race!
I keep hearing over and over how there's a 10k difference between the GTI and the R. There isn't. Comparing apples to apples you'd have to get the SE or Autobahn models in the GTI to compare trim levels that are standard on the R. The R comes heavily equipped out of the box. My GTI SE DSG with Oettinger aero package and Oettinger exhaust retailed at 34,900. Mind you, I didn't pay that because it was a 2017 and was discounted down to 29,900 but even then I was only a little over 6k away from the R.

The same debate used to go on when I was into Subaru's when comparing the WRX vs the STi. You have to load the WRX with options to come to the same trim levels on the STi and the difference was about 5k not 8-10k as people claimed.

Bottom line is that the R isn't as far away in price as some make it out to be. You really have to compare apples to apples on the trim levels as well. The R simply comes with just about everything you'd want as standard fare whereas the GTI offers you those things as options.

If you're on a budget then the GTI Sport is what you want. You have to get the VAQ diff because it's a must and so are the upgraded brakes. If you're buying a loaded GTI and there happens to be a Golf R on the lot, strongly consider making the jump. The real problem we run into is that the R is so scarce and when they do arrive, there's very little wiggle room in price. I wish VW dealers had more in stock, I've known people to buy them in colors they don't even like that much just so they can get one. It's unfortunate for the consumer but I suppose it's good for the dealer as they are probably high grossing units for them.

I like my GTI very much but if I had the option to buy the R I wouldn't hesitate. There just isn't one in the entire state of Minnesota to even look at and I'm sure when one comes in it'll be sold the same day. Only way around it is to just order one and wait.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I keep hearing over and over how there's a 10k difference between the GTI and the R. There isn't.

I bought my 2016 Autobahn for $29,xxx (6k off MSRP) and a similarly specced R was around $40k with similar options (no discount). If the difference was only $5k, i would have bought the R, with no second thoughts.

$10k difference is very real and thats the reason why it comes over and over again.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I bought my 2016 Autobahn for $29,xxx (6k off MSRP) and a similarly specced R was around $40k with similar options (no discount). If the difference was only $5k, i would have bought the R, with no second thoughts.

$10k difference is very real and thats the reason why it comes over and over again.

Agree! Your numbers are the same as mine.

Once you start getting into the $40k+ range I start thinking about other cars such as a 2014 Mercedes-Benz E 63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC.

shuxleyct

I've got 2 dsg R's, drop in filter UM ecu/tcu tuned, and the more heavily modded one in my signature. Suburb stop n go, some freeway, a little city driving and see and average on both of 23.5-25 mpg, they are driven hard, when traffic allows and when on freeway usually around 85-90 mph, again when traffic allows. I'll see 30-32 at a steady 65 cruise, which I never do. They're better than what I'm used to but not the greatest hypermilers for sure, then again they're a hell of allot more fun :)

I drive my R manual on summer tires. Most of the time I do play when there’s room in the road or nice twisties. I got almost 35 on a longish trip (1200 miles), with occasional playing around. Daily driving, a mix of mostly local roads brings us in around 25 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Wow, thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead!

Finally got to test drive a mk7.5 DSG, Let me just say that I really enjoyed the driving experience! Some of the roads that I was on really were utter crap so comfort mode was a boon! Felt like the bumps disappeared. Swapped over to race mode when I got to a road that was smooth, wide open, ans straight. SNAP that car can GO and feels like it was on rails in the corner.

If I was in a good financially sound position I would have come home with it. The new Iridium Grey seriously looks great! Though I really would love it if VW would offer more colors... I mean shoot, Canada gets all the same color choices that Europe gets!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

Then again, the depreciation on a GTI is greater than that of an R.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Since the buying price was a lot lower than the MSRP, GTI's depreciation might be in par with the R.
My 2017 GTI was $27k. It is now about a year and a half old with 23k miles. Trade in is around 15k. Private party is $17k. A similar R would have lost around $7-10k in value. So percentage wise the R definitely depreciated less.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
My 2017 GTI was $27k. It is now about a year and a half old with 23k miles. Trade in is around 15k. Private party is $17k. A similar R would have lost around $7-10k in value. So percentage wise the R definitely depreciated less.

Sold my GTI (26k miles in clock & 20 months old) in line with KBB private sale for $23k and my buying price was little more than $29k. Personally i didn have much loss on my GTI. Percentage wise GTI might be more but i would have lost $6-7k had i had an R as well.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Sold my GTI (26k miles in clock & 20 months old) in line with KBB private sale for $23k and my buying price was little more than $29k. Personally i didn have much loss on my GTI. Percentage wise GTI might be more but i would have lost $6-7k had i had an R as well.

Out of curiosity what are you driving these days?