GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can we do doughnuts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Idk why any of you are having a hard time with this. Traction control isn't run by ABS, but ABS supplies the information it. Traction control doesn't have its own sensors, the abs sensors aka wheel speed sensors do the job, so with them disabled (fuse pulled) the car might as well be a 300whp Mk1

fastolsen

Doing doughnuts without a lsd or something in the rear diff will be very difficult, on tarmac.. On snow theres no problem:) So my answer is no, until a video proves me wrong:)

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I googled this.

The results would imply that you shouldn't waste your time trying to do donuts unless there is snow on the ground.

I couldn't find any videos of an R whipping donuts on black top, but there are quite a few snow examples.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Trying the key word there. :p

That back end just will not break free, guy seems like he's going pretty hard at the attempt too.

Maybe possible with a Scandinavian flick, but I bet it'll just slide out a bit then tuck back in. Haldex just won't send enough power to the back to make it possible in the dry.

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
I've gotten some pretty nasty snap oversteer when U-turning applying full throttle with aggressive clutch use, but I am on stock Conti tires so shitty rubber may be required. It caught me off guard since people say the car doesnt really oversteer from the factory in the dry with warm tires and I ended up snaking down the road. I was overconfident because of the FWD bias and the reviews I saw, and this being my first AWD car, I reacted like I did on my previous RWD cars and didn't let off the gas sharply which sent me into an all wheel tank slapper for a bit as I slowly let off.

I think it's definitely possible under the right circumstances for a small amount of time.

Jez1

I've gotten some pretty nasty snap oversteer when U-turning applying full throttle with aggressive clutch use, but I am on stock Conti tires so shitty rubber may be required. It caught me off guard since people say the car doesnt really oversteer from the factory in the dry with warm tires and I ended up snaking down the road. I was overconfident because of the FWD bias and the reviews I saw, and this being my first AWD car, I reacted like I did on my previous RWD cars and didn't let off the gas sharply which sent me into an all wheel tank slapper for a bit as I slowly let off.

I think it's definitely possible under the right circumstances for a small amount of time.

I nominate you to be the first to show the world a smokey doughnut.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
What about the torque limiter that's modified under the ABS module?

On the Mk7 R, and only the Mk7 R, there are 3 settings for TC: the default fully on (which isn't too intrusive anyhow), reduced where the intervention comes at higher amounts of slip/spin, and fully off where the system is totally disengaged (as if you pulled a fuse).

If you have a DSG Mk7 R, launch control only works with the TC turned off. Also, the Mk6 R didn't have fully defeatable TC.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
My 4Motion GSW could easily with DWS06 mounted. Haven't tried with Conti Sports mounted, yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
On the Mk7 R, and only the Mk7 R, there are 3 settings for TC: the default fully on (which isn't too intrusive anyhow), reduced where the intervention comes at higher amounts of slip/spin, and fully off where the system is totally disengaged (as if you pulled a fuse).

If you have a DSG Mk7 R, launch control only works with the TC turned off. Also, the Mk6 R didn't have fully defeatable TC.

Depends if you’re tuned. UM dsg tuned Mk7r’s can launch with the traction control on, for example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTo_gN5Qvv0