GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Out with the old (M4), in with the new (GTI)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Meh completely different cars for different purposes. I have a F80 M3 and a F87 M2 as well as a 997 GT3 and am currently in the market for a MK7 GTI to daily drive. I had fun with the GTI on the test drive, it's a small, light engaging car.

Congrats to the OP on the new car and being in a better spot financially.

Not having a comfortable DD is a big problem. I propose a solution: straight up trade my GTI for the GT3. It's a fair deal as it will make both our dreams come true :D

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Golf is an econobox, but saying since the Golf is an econobox so is the GTI is like saying the Subaru WRX and the Subaru Impreza are basically the same which they obviously aren't. The only big difference is the WRX is much more in your face about it's performance compared the GTI.

No, the WRX and Impreza are on completely different platforms/architectures so it's apples and oranges.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
No, the WRX and Impreza are on completely different platforms/architectures so it's apples and oranges.

Only the new ones. The old ones were the same platform. Even the Outback sport shared the same chassis.

Premium? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe compared to a Kia. Premium small car is a M240i, S3 or something similar.

GT3 rarely sees any street time.

This is how you multiquote btw.

Last edited:

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Premium? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe compared to a Kia. Premium small car is a M240i, S3 or something similar.

Have you been in an S3? The interior of the GTI (SE trim or above) feels a lot more premium than the S3. Before deciding on the GTI, I test drove the A3, S3, and RS3. I was extremely disappointed with the interiors of the A3 and S3, felt very cheap. Only thing premium about those cars are the badges they wear

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Have you been in an S3? The interior of the GTI (SE trim or above) feels a lot more premium than the S3. Before deciding on the GTI, I test drove the A3, S3, and RS3. I was extremely disappointed with the interiors of the A3 and S3, felt very cheap. Only thing premium about those cars are the badges they wear

Having spent considerable time in a current S3, respectfully, what the hell are you talking about.

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Having spent considerable time in a current S3, respectfully, what the hell are you talking about.
I haven't been in a 2018 S3, but I test drove a 2016 and 2017. In my opinion, after back to back drives with the S3/GTI, I felt the interior of the GTI had a more premium feel. The seats were a lot nicer too (felt like they hugged you a lot more, similar to the M4).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pingers

Ready to race!

This - my wife begs me daily to drive my car to work, lol. She says it's so much nicer than our Limited Forester. But it's nice to know VW has some great seats as I have been debating the R.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!

+1 LOL at anyone that thinks a GTI/Golf interior is on par with a same year Audi S3. S3 has digital auto climate control, flat bottom steering wheel, leather wrapped door panels, 12.3" digital cockpit, aluminum knobs for cc/stereo etc. Why would VWAG put a better interior in a 25k car than their 45k flagship marque.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
In any event, deluxe small car perhaps?
The Golf is not an econobox.
Certainly not in Europe.

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 LOL at anyone that thinks a GTI/Golf interior is on par with a same year Audi S3. S3 has digital auto climate control, flat bottom steering wheel, leather wrapped door panels, 12.3" digital cockpit, aluminum knobs for cc/stereo etc. Why would VWAG put a better interior in a 25k car than their 45k flagship marque.

Well, guess the jokes on me then. BTW, the GTI has a flat bottom steering wheel and the S3 that I drove didn't have the digital cockpit.

Also, I specifically mentioned the SE trim, so its more like $33k vs $45k (if you're looking at MSRPs). Either way, the interior of the GTI in great for the price of the car. For a $45k car, the S3 interior is quite disappointing

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Well, guess the jokes on me then. BTW, the GTI has a flat bottom steering wheel and the S3 that I drove didn't have the digital cockpit.

Also, I specifically mentioned the SE trim, so its more like $33k vs $45k (if you're looking at MSRPs). Either way, the interior of the GTI in great for the price of the car. For a $45k car, the S3 interior is quite disappointing

And the fact that they can be compared in any competative at all shows that the Golf is not an econobox.