GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ tS

Loonster

Ready to race!
That car had so much promise. It reminded me of the old Datsun 240Z. At 200hp it's just not enough. If it had the turbo of the WRX then it would be a serious contender. Until then it's a good looking car that handles well, but that's it. The dismal sales record of the BRZ/FRS/T86 prove that it just needs more to begin attracting the crowd and getting the cult like following this car should have but just doesn't.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
“Up to” 205hp at 70,000 rpm. Decision to avoid putting in a turbo et al is maddening. It cannot compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
I had an FRS for 5.5 years. Loved it! When you send it through corners and keep revs high you feel like there is a lot more HP. Just don't expect to be impressed in a straight line.

e3syler

Passed Driver's Ed
All that matters is that it looks fast, right lol. I almost bought one and then I saw this

And never looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Eh, if I want something that looks and sounds cool while running 15s, I'll buy another Silverado.

Good handling alone is not enough to keep me amused in a painfully slow car.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
But I think it is very, very true that looking fast is a better investment from the manufacturer's POV than actually being fast. Looking fast costs a hell of a lot less to develop than being fast, and the market for looking fast is a lot bigger overall than that for actually being fast.

I think the low sales numbers of these cars have more to do with the overall brand demographics than anything else. How long has it been since Toyota had a performance car of any stripe in their line up? Most Toyota buyers are looking, ahem, for other qualities in their cars. As for Subies, man, I live in Subaru Central up here in New England. But this car is RWD, death for sales in the frozen tundra. WRXs sell, sure, but it's an AWD car that you can run in the winter. Not the BRZ, though.

nikpmd

I’ve been considering this car and the tS piqued my interest initially. But after I realized I can get the same performance brakes and shocks and keep the 17 inch wheels for better ride on the Limited trim, I lost interest on the tS.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
GTIs with big wings out back crack me up.

At least the BRZ puts one above the driven wheels.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
A good driver can achieve a 14.7 on a stock frs brz in the 1/4 mile, but due to its power delivery even that feels more like a 16.0

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
That car had so much promise. It reminded me of the old Datsun 240Z. At 200hp it's just not enough. If it had the turbo of the WRX then it would be a serious contender. Until then it's a good looking car that handles well, but that's it. The dismal sales record of the BRZ/FRS/T86 prove that it just needs more to begin attracting the crowd and getting the cult like following this car should have but just doesn't.

My brother used to have one; it's not so much the low peak output as it is the dead zone in the middle of the RPM range. Unless you spend your entire drive going sideways, it's just not a great car.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
We own both. Every criticism above is 100% correct. The torque dip is especially frustrating, since it happens at exactly the same point were the GTI begins to really make torque.

However, given a road like this in front of me, I'd choose the BRZ 10 out of 10 times. ;)

nikpmd

We own both. Every criticism above is 100% correct. The torque dip is especially frustrating, since it happens at exactly the same point were the GTI begins to really make torque.

However, given a road like this in front of me, I'd choose the BRZ 10 out of 10 times. ;)

Nicee, if you had to own just one, which one would you keep?