GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motul Gear 300 transmission fluid

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Recently switched over to Motul Gear 300 fluid in my 6MT and the difference is night and day. The gearbox is now butter smooth, and the chatter on idle I had is now essentially gone. I previously used Redline MTL, and the gearbox felt notchy and loud on idle due to gear lash. Motul is pricey, but well worth it. So if you're thinking of changing your fluid, I highly recommend Motul.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Recently switched over to Motul Gear 300 fluid in my 6MT and the difference is night and day. The gearbox is now butter smooth, and the chatter on idle I had is now essentially gone. I previously used Redline MTL, and the gearbox felt notchy and loud on idle due to gear lash. Motul is pricey, but well worth it. So if you're thinking of changing your fluid, I highly recommend Motul.
Hmmmm I might have to try it, I use red line also

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Interesting. Does it lessen the amount of whining in first gear, too?

My configuration is notchy at first start up regardless, but I think that is because of the Sigma 6. When warm, it is smooth, so not sure it would get much smoother. I would like the chatter at idle and the 1st gear whine to suppress a bit.

Thanks for sharing the exp!

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting. Does it lessen the amount of whining in first gear, too?

My configuration is notchy at first start up regardless, but I think that is because of the Sigma 6. When warm, it is smooth, so not sure it would get much smoother. I would like the chatter at idle and the 1st gear whine to suppress a bit.

Thanks for sharing the exp!

I haven't paid any attention to the whine as its something I've learned to live with so I will have to report back.

flip7

Ready to race!

How much fluid does 6mt take? I may want to try this route, as after upgrading the clutch with Sachs SRE I started to get some chatter I did not fell in love with :p

railroader

Autocross Newbie
How much fluid does 6mt take? I may want to try this route, as after upgrading the clutch with Sachs SRE I started to get some chatter I did not fell in love with :p
Just under 3 liters I believe

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hmmm, great info OP!

I was going to be swapping out the factory fill when I do my oil change and was looking at all of the available options. This one really stick out as one of the better :cool:

erikweber321

Ready to race!
That seams odd.
A DSG is made from two manuals with a 40,000 mile service.
A manual works as hard so I would think a similar interval.
Kind of but not really, the dsg has wet clutches so it needs it. Dry friction Mt cars don't accumulate the same dust

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk