GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 won't connect to laptop

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I recently removed my JB4 and reinstalled it since I had some service done. For some reason now, it will not connect to my laptop. I have tried things such as going into device manager and checking to see if I'm on the right COM port, reinstalling the application, and even contacted George who was nice enough to send me a new data cable, but even that didn't solve the issue. I'm waiting to here back from him but in the meantime have any of you guys had this issue or have any suggestions? It was working when I first installed it but ever since I removed it and put it back on it just says "JB4 failed: COM3" when i try to connect.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is the jb4 and the computer on the same com port still?

I assume you are asking if I went into device manager and checked the COM port and then making sure the right COM port is selected in the JB4 app? If so then yes.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Reading fail on my part. Sorry.

Perhaps check the obd pins? Also, is the obd in correctly? (wires come towards drivers seat).

Does the OBD plug affect the connection since its a seperate cable from the USB data cable? I have it in the correct direction, but is there a change the OBD plug could have gone bad? The JB4 is still on map 2 from the last time I had it installed and I can feel that its definitely working since the car pulls hard so I would assume the OBD plug is working correctly. Its odd because my computer recognizes that the JB4 is connected, but whenever I try to connect it says "JB4 Failed: COM3" so I can't tell if its a hardware issue or software. I am going to create a new user on my laptop and reinstall the JB4 app and see if that fixes it, but I doubt it will because I already tried using the JB4 app on a MAC and I get the same error so that makes me think its a hardware issue. I am in contact with George and he might just end up sending me a new board. I am just trying verify that it is indeed a hardware issue and not a problem on my side. When I had the JB4 installed the first time, it connected flawlessly but after I took it off and put it back on I get that error. I read somewhere on the BMW forum that someone had to get a new USB chip since it most likely got zapped by static, so that might be a possibility for me to.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
huh. well let us know how it turns out.

I just reinstalled windows and the JB4 app on my laptop and I am still getting the same error. Sounds like it's the JB4 hardware at this point.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Problem has been solved. George sent me a new JB4 chip and that fixed the issue.