GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new 2018 GTI Autobahn

AJ15

Ready to race!
"Flawless". "Needing new rear shocks at 72,000 miles." :confused: Why?
I've never had a car that needed new shocks, period...

tony2x

The rear tyres were wearing inconsistently and making lots of noise. I had the alignment done, noise was still there so I replaced the tyres. I checked the rear shocks and both were leaking, so I replaced them.

I have heard others having premature failure of the rear shocks on early Mk7s. My friend back in the UK had his replaced on his GTD twice under warranty by VW.

I consider shocks wear and tear and also as this car has been a daily rental car it is not inconceivable that it has been driven with enthusiasm and gusto by many different people. :)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Very nice.. the facelift design is starting to grow on me... definitely like the new headlights and taillights. the new bumper and wheels.... idk. the bumper design isn't bad i guess. looks future-forward, but kind of loses some of the simplicity the Golf has always had going for it

congrats!

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
I do indeed. The '15 is at the body shop getting prepped for sale so it'll be sometime next week. I have the full LEDs on my '18 and HIDs w/ LED DRLs on my '15.

Perfect, can't wait to see the comparison! I've heard the light output on the LED headlights is brighter than the HIDs, but I'm curious to see the "throw" and the cutoff difference between the two. Thanks in advance!

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Replacing shocks near 75k is quite normal. Nothing lasts forever, shocks take a lot of abuse and the seals inside wear out.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
I do indeed. The '15 is at the body shop getting prepped for sale so it'll be sometime next week. I have the full LEDs on my '18 and HIDs w/ LED DRLs on my '15.

Do the LED lights do a better job than the HID lights? I am assuming the biggest advantage to LED is their life span is longer. Most LED lights advertise 50K hours.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

Sometimes shock absorbers will feel normal until you install new ones , also the type of use that the car had. His car is a rental so for a rental is actually not bad at all.

I’m not really sure why you would expect a wear and tear part to last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Replacing shocks near 75k is quite normal. Nothing lasts forever, shocks take a lot of abuse and the seals inside wear out.

Yep, My MK5 has 90K on original shocks and I can tell they are pretty worn. We have terrible street in Illinois because of the harsh Winter weather and salt. Also lack of gov't. funding means the streets aren't well maintained at all.

tony2x

Yep, My MK5 has 90K on original shocks and I can tell they are pretty worn. We have terrible street in Illinois because of the harsh Winter weather and salt. Also lack of gov't. funding means the streets aren't well maintained at all.

Yes, the roads here in SF are atrocious and as soon as the rain falls the freeways dissolve. I have had so many flats, bent wheels and damaged suspension bits I've lost count of the claims I've filed with Caltrans!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Really. I suppose it all depends on your definition of "need". You could leave the originals on the car forever, the car will still function (all other potential problems aside). Doesn't mean the shocks are doing their job though.

I'd wager that typical stock shocks, which are probably a ~$25 part, are good for about 40k miles before their gradual wear has caused them to be largely ineffective. Something much better like Bilstein B8's will go 100k+, and if you still own the car and they are worn, Bilstein will rebuild or replace them for the life of the car, for the original owner. But that's a far, far better shock than comes out of the parts bin on the VW assembly line, I can assure you.

I replaced the stock Sachs units on my old Z4M at 42k miles, with B8's. It was time. The difference was immediately apparent - the stockers were significantly worn by the time they were replaced.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Can anyone confirm if the 2018 Autobahn has the Overhead View Camera (Area View)?

It's listed on the spec sheet on vw.com but I'm wondering if that's a mistake.

1000-1 that's a mistake. It's an SUV-oriented feature. No logical reason it would be offered on the Golf family. Especially not here. VWoA makes stupid mistakes like this pretty frequently.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
1000-1 that's a mistake. It's an SUV-oriented feature. No logical reason it would be offered on the Golf family. Especially not here. VWoA makes stupid mistakes like this pretty frequently.

I tend to agree with you, but Audi, Mercedes, etc. offer it on sedans and coupes, so, it's not just for SUVs. But it is a higher end feature than Golfs usually get.