GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weighing my options for IS38 tuning (yes, another BS tune thread)

ashiun

Ready to race!
Power differences aside, spark based traction control alone is worth going Cobb for, especially with IS38. Cobb and Maestro probably have the highest ceiling for power, but even if they didn't, there's no reason to go OTS if you can't put the power down.

If another tuning company offers spark based TC, all the power to them.

https://youtu.be/aWdGrlq_Jns

Here's two of my logs in poor conditions:

OEM TC:
https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-14-...ty-wheelspin-rain?log=0&data=1-4&zoom=246-312

Cobb TC set to allow 30% slip (other parameters redacted per tuner's request):
https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/cobb-tc-3-wheelspin?log=0&data=2-3

Look at how beautifully it held that boost...

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Those of you running 5150, how is smoothness and drivability?

Any issues with codes, stumbles/hiccups, etc ?

ashiun

Ready to race!
Still on base map (no revisions) so I can't really comment yet. Supposedly the tune really opens up the car around the 4th revision or so. I did experience hesitation in light acceleration once but no threw no codes and drove just fine, so I'm willing to write that one off unless it happens again. I know most people with more complete 5150 tunes swear by Jon's work, but I'm personally not at that level yet.

Some IS38 fella in the 5150 fb group reportedly ran 3mph faster going from APR 93 to 5150 E30, and ran a 11.3@123mph. I've also seen some other dyno comparisons between APR Stage 1 vs. Cobb 5150, same car, fueling, and mods, showing 5150 with less peak torque and higher horsepower, but most importantly a much smoother curve. Runs less boost than APR and is therefore less peaky. I'd guess that's smoother to drive.

Edit: Oh and also, adjustable launch control and no-lift-shift also point to Cobb. Cobb is just so feature rich...

Edit edit: nvm you're DSG

Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Still on base map (no revisions) so I can't really comment yet. Supposedly the tune really opens up the car around the 4th revision or so. I did experience hesitation in light acceleration once but no threw no codes and drove just fine, so I'm willing to write that one off unless it happens again. I know most people with more complete 5150 tunes swear by Jon's work, but I'm personally not at that level yet.

Some IS38 fella in the 5150 fb group reportedly ran 3mph faster going from APR 93 to 5150 E30, and ran a 11.3@123mph. I've also seen some other dyno comparisons between APR Stage 1 vs. Cobb 5150, same car, fueling, and mods, showing 5150 with less peak torque and higher horsepower, but most importantly a much smoother curve. Runs less boost than APR and is therefore less peaky. I'd guess that's smoother to drive.

Edit: Oh and also, adjustable launch control and no-lift-shift also point to Cobb. Cobb is just so feature rich...

That's me.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Don't want to go off topic - sorry in advance Hoon!

BUT just out of curiosity, the 12.9 @ 112mph you ran and the 12.0 @ 114mph PacDawg ran, are all times done with slicks?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
That's me.

Comments on the tune appreciated.

FWIW I'll be running 93 octane only.

BUT just out of curiosity, the 12.9 @ 112mph you ran and the 12.0 @ 114mph PacDawg ran, are all times done with slicks?

I was on stock all season Hankooks deflated to 20psi, I would assume he was on slicks.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

12.0 was with slicks. The higher 12s were with drag radials. Best I did with drag radials was 12.5 I think.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

That's because APR is boost happy and likes to pour on the boost right away to create the high tq early on. That's why they were blowin turbos left and right. 5150 or Stratified are the "go to" tunes imo.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

I was on stock all season Hankooks deflated to 20psi, I would assume he was on slicks.

5150 tune has been fine for me. I did have to replace my LPFP with an aftermarket one in order to run E40 or top end would cut out but thats no fault to tune. Since you'll just be running 93 everything should be all gravy.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

12.0 was with slicks. The higher 12s were with drag radials. Best I did with drag radials was 12.5 I think.

Awesome, thanks guys. I plan on hitting up the track this summer and will aim for similar times given I have almost the same mods as Hoon (except I'm stacked)

Hoon - Why not consider a Hybrid IS20? That way you add power and get to pretty much keep your current tune

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Hoon, I would go Cobb protune/etune. The only flash is38 id consider is APR.
But id go protune 7 days out of 7. You spent lot of time and money already and to pony up more at this point, might as well do it proper.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I was never planning to go IS38. I didn't stick to my initial plan...so now I have a $300-$800 penalty, depending on how you look at it.

It's not so much about the money as it is about value for the dollar and loyalty to your repeat customers.

I decided when I bought the car it would be a bolt on car, and planned accordingly...but as always I don't know when to stop.

Power is too damn addicting.

Touche my friend, touche. I literally feel like I wrote this as I just did the same thing and installed an is38.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Modding can be a slippery slope. My orignal plan for this car was jb1 and a drop in since its my commuter. But those plans didnt last long and now is38 and shopping for big turbo. Thats why I think Cobb and Eurodyne should be the tuning solutions of choice for their scalability and adjustability.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Modding can be a slippery slope. My orignal plan for this car was jb1 and a drop in since its my commuter. But those plans didnt last long and now is38 and shopping for big turbo. Thats why I think Cobb and Eurodyne should be the tuning solutions of choice for their scalability and adjustability.
I'm afraid I'll be doing the same thing. Now that my is38 is in I want more. My only saving grace (I think) is that I have a 71 nova in my garage I'm in the process of building/restoring. But I am going to need to get maestro first or cobb,l.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk