GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 3+ car for sale at NH dealer...

Npdogg

Ready to race!
So I was just window shopping on CarGurus for Golf R's. Ran across a relatively local to me dealer that has a 2016 VW Golf R -APR stage 3+ for $35k. It's a MT with South Bend clutch and only 2772 miles. It seems crazy to me that someone would mod a car that much and only put 2700 miles and then sell it. Thinking about how a good deal that is if you going that route anyways. But the cynic in me thinks something's up and dumped it before imminent doom. Either way it has me intrigued. Maybe someone on here will pick it up:eek:

https://www.vwofrochesternh.com/veh...golf-r-w-dcc-and-nav-rochester-nh-id-21940916

TRVotexed07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17GolfR
Yes silly money spent here. Nice car though and a good deal for someone looking to go stage 3 and buy it all done.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
2700 miles is a lot of 1/4 mile passes lol. Not doubting the ad, but they talk about it being Stage 3 then don't include any engine back pics.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
My car mechanically is completely stock and I wouldn’t even buy it from myself the way I drive (and yes, I am very religious on the maintenance). Stage 3 with 2,700 miles? Oh h$!! no. If it’s too good to be true...

Besides, where’s the fun in buying a car already modded? You’ll miss spending all the countless hours searching these forums to decide what is the best clutch, best tune, best exhaust... [emoji6]

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
A heavily modded car like that has a very limited number of potential buyers. Most people won't trade the reliability of an already fast stock car for the performance that a Stage 3 R would offer. Even a pampered Stage 3 R is likely to have some durability issues with something in the engine and/or drivetrain; and if the original owner beat the cr*p out of it, you just know that owning that car is going to be a headache it's to be used as a daily driver. I think The Fed is right, $35K is way, way, beyond what the owner got for it. Most customizing, including engine work, lowers the value of a car instead of raising it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A heavily modded car like that has a very limited number of potential buyers. Most people won't trade the reliability of an already fast stock car for the performance that a Stage 3 R would offer. Even a pampered Stage 3 R is likely to have some durability issues with something in the engine and/or drivetrain; and if the original owner beat the cr*p out of it, you just know that owning that car is going to be a headache it's to be used as a daily driver. I think The Fed is right, $35K is way, way, beyond what the owner got for it. Most customizing, including engine work, lowers the value of a car instead of raising it.

Al, when I lived in NE Philly in the 80's, Reedman's was my favorite store. I knew the manager who ordered all of the new Chevy's, and he gave me the family discount. One day I was hanging around the area where they appraise the trade-ins, and a kid comes in with a car with NOS. They offered him half of what he could have got if only he removed the performance enhancements.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some dumb kid with sh*t for brains buys it for that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So I was just window shopping on CarGurus for Golf R's. Ran across a relatively local to me dealer that has a 2016 VW Golf R -APR stage 3+ for $35k. It's a MT with South Bend clutch and only 2772 miles. It seems crazy to me that someone would mod a car that much and only put 2700 miles and then sell it. Thinking about how a good deal that is if you going that route anyways. But the cynic in me thinks something's up and dumped it before imminent doom. Either way it has me intrigued. Maybe someone on here will pick it up:eek:

CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Miscellaneous
Section 266:59-b
266:59-b Emission Control Equipment. –
I. (a) Every motor vehicle driven on the ways of this state which is subject to inspection under this chapter shall be equipped with all of the emission control equipment which was part of that motor vehicle as originally equipped, and such equipment shall be properly connected to prevent excessive emissions.

Offer $15,000 since it's not legal to be driven on NH roads and you'll need to hire a tow truck. Do they do emissions inspection before you buy the car? By their ad they certainly know it won't pass.

Last edited:

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I would be less skeptical if it had a built motor honestly. APR mentions you should build up the internals on 91-100 octane with their stage 3+ kit. It could be another way of APR selling more products to you but I would trust their opinion overall.

A tapped out state 2 should be better off than this car IMO.

Npdogg

Ready to race!
Mileage is 23575, not 2xxx. Read bottom.

Recent Arrival! Odometer is 23575 miles below market average! 31/22 Highway/City MPG

I think it means 23575 less than your average 2016 on the market. Either way I'm taking a hard pass. I'm putting my AWE downpipe and Dinan tuner next week and riding it out for another year or so.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I would be less skeptical if it had a built motor honestly. APR mentions you should build up the internals on 91-100 octane with their stage 3+ kit. It could be another way of APR selling more products to you but I would trust their opinion overall.

A tapped out state 2 should be better off than this car IMO.

Yes, but they also used to sell the kit for non built motors, they even had a version for sale without their mpi upgrade. There are plenty of people running big turbos on stock block and head, if it is tuned well there should be little issue, to get the max out of the turbo kits obviously you should build the bottom end and do head work so you can wind out the motor to maximize the lagier turbo.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I wouldn't touch it unless it had all the upgraded internals and I knew the owner!