GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I took the plunge and bought DG springs and had VW install them, using the stock bearings. The DG instal has been good up until recently and now I'm getting some squeaks. It's not doing it very often, but if I don't slow way down for speed bumps, there's a good squeak from the front end as I go over the bump.
Not to take away from the difference you noticed, but I get what sounds like that same squeak over bumps with stock GTI springs on Austin's, no spacers or extras. Something tells me when I upgrade I'll still have it.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Yes, DG's are subtle and also worth it. Got the deal off BAM for <$220 shipped. These are US version E with TT pads. A little spacing too for good measure. All noises are the same. Handles noticeably better.

athos56

Ready to race!
Don't forget that the stock struts are "rated" to handle the DG springs, but from what I've seen on a lot of forums they are suspect as well for noises. I am going to do DG springs with B4 Bilsteins and new bearings. Keeping the stock tophats based on the noise concerns I've seen on here with the performance units.

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk

I was planning the same but with the B6 Bilsteins. I was thinking of replacing all the hardware, usually the music is too loud to hear any noises. :)

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I started getting very slight creaking noises going up driveways after a couple months. New bearings were installed. Stock mounts and dampers. Barely noticeable. Hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
What noises?
Only the squeak over bumps talked about in the posts above, and that's when outside temps are low for me.

I did get a mild clunk on the left-side, at the u-turn position, right after the install. It's since gone away but I re-tightened the ends links while loaded and did several lock to lock wheel turns with the vehicle being rocked (if its rockin, don't come a knockin). And I'm about 18k using the existing bearings, mounts, and hardware.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is my old 1.8t with DG springs and a random GTI. Oddly enough I own that same model and color GTI now. LOL

The two cars sat almost the exact same height. I had a little negative rake with the stock spring pads.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just had the DG spring installed today and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Perfect amount of lowering for me and it probably will be slightly lower when they settle. Super glad I got the TT spring pads because it sits level with minimum rake.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Just had the DG spring installed today and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Perfect amount of lowering for me and it probably will be slightly lower when they settle. Super glad I got the TT spring pads because it sits level with minimum rake.

Looks great. I can’t recall, are you DSG or 6MT?

Where did you get the springs from?

And how about the installer, would you recommend them?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Looks great. I can’t recall, are you DSG or 6MT?

Where did you get the springs from?

And how about the installer, would you recommend them?

Thanks, my car is a 6MT. The springs I got from Capilano VW for about $310. Dales Auto is one of the few places that are open on weekends so I went with them otherwise I would have gone to my shop of choice, PG Performance. They did a good job, a little pricey but the great thing is they can do installs and alignment.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thx. Sent you a PM. Had a few more questions.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Thanks, my car is a 6MT. The springs I got from Capilano VW for about $310. Dales Auto is one of the few places that are open on weekends so I went with them otherwise I would have gone to my shop of choice, PG Performance. They did a good job, a little pricey but the great thing is they can do installs and alignment.

What did you pay at Dale's for the install and alignment?

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Assuming that the installer didn’t perform the headlight beam height recalibration for you...

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=195022&postcount=21

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I didnt recalibrate my lights. How many of you did? Havent noticed a difference. I have DSG and slight positive rake btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk