GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Super Sport VS Pilot Sport 4S

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Those who have had both PSS and PS4S: Do the PS4S run as wide as the PSS? Planning out my summer fitment and guessing I’ll need the fender screw mod if I go 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et47, lowered on MSSKits Street with stock camber.

Tirerack carries only one width.

KO7

Ready to race!
I have 245/35/19 on 19x8.5, et45, but not lowered. So, the 2mm and lowering somewhat compensate? Yes, the screw definitely had to come out; you should just assume you must remove it. There's some minor potential for worse rubbing problems, but I suspect not (just a guess)...

Forgot to ask: got any pics of your 245/35/19 PS4S on 19x8.5 et45? Especially want to see how flush that is with the fender. Thanks!

KO7

Ready to race!

drshark

Ready to race!
Forgot to ask: got any pics of your 245/35/19 PS4S on 19x8.5 et45? Especially want to see how flush that is with the fender. Thanks!

Here you go...
Can't wait to get the summers back on (and do the APR Stage 1)!

Attachments

• PS4 front quarter final.jpg
    PS4 front quarter final.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 523
  • PS4 rear quarter final.jpg
    PS4 rear quarter final.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 529

KO7

Ready to race!
Thanks! Wow that looks great, especially for not being lowered. Might be cutting it close with my mild drop hmm ��

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Wonder how the PS4S compares to the Conti ExtremeContact Sport. The Conti probably gives away some performance but its cheaper and has a higher treadwear #. In the real world...?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Wonder how the PS4S compares to the Conti ExtremeContact Sport. The Conti probably gives away some performance but its cheaper and has a higher treadwear #. In the real world...?

Based on prior experience with Continental performance/summer tires, the Conti tires will have excellent grip, but after about 7000 miles, they'll be so noisy that you'd rather gnaw your own leg off than drive more than 50 miles at a time. The Michelin tires won't. Then again, it has been some time since I've had a set of Continentals on my car, so maybe they've stepped their game up in that respect.

drshark

Ready to race!
Functional vents on the hood?

I hesitate to say yes on vent functionality. The last time I answered yes to this question led to a grilling that lasted for a week or more. My evidence is a longer warm-up time to normal operating temperature.

But to (hopefully) provide an acceptable answer, the vents have trays that carry away the water, but also provide plenty of air flow between the environment and the engine bay.

Frankly, I’m less concerned with functionality, more on aesthetics: I love the look over the stock hood. Losing 22 pounds is a minor plus, as well. At $2000, not sure it’s a great value. I like having a racier look that’s also quite stock-like...

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Based on prior experience with Continental performance/summer tires, the Conti tires will have excellent grip, but after about 7000 miles, they'll be so noisy that you'd rather gnaw your own leg off than drive more than 50 miles at a time. The Michelin tires won't. Then again, it has been some time since I've had a set of Continentals on my car, so maybe they've stepped their game up in that respect.
My recent experience with Conti motorcycle tires leads me to think that the company has really stepped up their game in the last two years. Michelin has set the bar high with the PS4S but my sense is that Conti has really stepped up with the ExtremeContact Sport. The glowing reviews on Tire Rack make no mention of noise and some of the drivers had racked up 15-20K miles. They also mention that the wear rate was impressive.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I hesitate to say yes on vent functionality. The last time I answered yes to this question led to a grilling that lasted for a week or more. My evidence is a longer warm-up time to normal operating temperature.

But to (hopefully) provide an acceptable answer, the vents have trays that carry away the water, but also provide plenty of air flow between the environment and the engine bay.

Frankly, I’m less concerned with functionality, more on aesthetics: I love the look over the stock hood. Losing 22 pounds is a minor plus, as well. At $2000, not sure it’s a great value. I like having a racier look that’s also quite stock-like...

Regardless, they look good.