GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Exhaust Comparisons - AWE (Track and Touring) / Magnaflow catback / APR downpipe

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Weight wise there’s no issue, but clearance might be.

The stamped steel cross brace that connects the two sides of the exhaust tunnel would probably be too close or touching. That’s why it usually goes further back in the cat back

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I am putting a Magnaflow catback on soon with the Vibrant resonator- hoped to this weekend... just got the resonator in the mail today. Tell me what's wrong here?

Exact setup I want to hear about as I have the magnaflow and am debating DP and resonator....let me know how it is

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
There’s a few people here who’ve already done it, never saw a video or sound clip posted tho

once I get a brand new unused vibrant resonator...lol

ill post a soundclip of my Magnaflow with vibrant. Maybe this weekend if not, next...

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Quick question on my Magnaflow catback with Vibrant Resonator I am adding in where the factory one resided. Will I be alright if I slip my front pipe in the Vibrant resonator as opposed to flaring the ends on my Magnaflow pipe to go over the resonator? See pictures please:

pictures:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Quick question on my Magnaflow catback with Vibrant Resonator I am adding in where the factory one resided. Will I be alright if I slip my front pipe in the Vibrant resonator as opposed to flaring the ends on my Magnaflow pipe to go over the resonator? See pictures please:

pictures:

Can't view them....

Scrodee

Ready to race!
I just finished up my franken-exhaust. I like it a lot.

I've been running a catless VWR downpipe. (I'll never go catless again, lesson learned. I will likely have a cheap universal catalyst welded in sometime in the future.) and the stock catback using a Milltek piece to mate up. The sound was okay but the drone was pretty bad. The car is my daily and I had to do something about it

Got an AWE track kit on a Black Friday deal, just now had the time to install. Also went ahead and got the Vibrant 1750 resonator based on GTI Jake's thread (thanks btw).

AWE stuff is high quality, as reported. I was also impressed with AWE's shipping package, everything was packed such that it was well protected. The Vibrant resonator is a nice piece as well. (Regarding downpipe fitment, the VWR downpipe fitment was spot-on; they aren't the cheapest brand but they have sales and all the stuff I have from them is high quality and fitment has been perfect everytime.)
I had to cut about a foot off of the AWE midpipe to fit the Vibrant; started with a regular chain type exhaust cutter but it wasn't getting it done on the stainless so I used an industrial pipe cutter. Used Torca TorcTite clamps, they don't look as pretty as welds but they are easy to use and they work well.

The drone is barely noticeable now and the tone is much deeper than with the stock catback. During tame driving it's deep and growly but pretty quiet. At WOT it absolutely howls; sounds awesome IMO, not like the trumpet in the videos.

Not sure what difference between the Vibram vs the AWE touring resonator would be or if the downpipe makes a difference but this setup suits me! I made my choices based on information gathered lurking these threads, so thanks to everyone who contributed!

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
I just finished up my franken-exhaust. I like it a lot.

I've been running a catless VWR downpipe. (I'll never go catless again, lesson learned. I will likely have a cheap universal catalyst welded in sometime in the future.) and the stock catback using a Milltek piece to mate up. The sound was okay but the drone was pretty bad. The car is my daily and I had to do something about it

Got an AWE track kit on a Black Friday deal, just now had the time to install. Also went ahead and got the Vibrant 1750 resonator based on GTI Jake's thread (thanks btw).

AWE stuff is high quality, as reported. I was also impressed with AWE's shipping package, everything was packed such that it was well protected. The Vibrant resonator is a nice piece as well. (Regarding downpipe fitment, the VWR downpipe fitment was spot-on; they aren't the cheapest brand but they have sales and all the stuff I have from them is high quality and fitment has been perfect everytime.)
I had to cut about a foot off of the AWE midpipe to fit the Vibrant; started with a regular chain type exhaust cutter but it wasn't getting it done on the stainless so I used an industrial pipe cutter. Used Torca TorcTite clamps, they don't look as pretty as welds but they are easy to use and they work well.

The drone is barely noticeable now and the tone is much deeper than with the stock catback. During tame driving it's deep and growly but pretty quiet. At WOT it absolutely howls; sounds awesome IMO, not like the trumpet in the videos.

Not sure what difference between the Vibram vs the AWE touring resonator would be or if the downpipe makes a difference but this setup suits me! I made my choices based on information gathered lurking these threads, so thanks to everyone who contributed!

Nice to read similar to what I am doing this weekend! Did you use these Torca Clamps by chance?

3" Torca TorcTite Preformed Exhaust Lap Joint Clamp, Brushed Stainless Steel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VR756C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Scrodee

Ready to race!
Nice to read similar to what I am doing this weekend! Did you use these Torca Clamps by chance?

3" Torca TorcTite Preformed Exhaust Lap Joint Clamp, Brushed Stainless Steel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VR756C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the same brand clamps but I used butt joint style. I also ordered them for like 1/3 the price from summit (branded as Summit Racing when I bought online but showed up as Torca brand).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692300-1

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150

Last edited:

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
Just want to again thank Kdizz for his clear, helpful comparison of exhaust systems. After having my AWE Track Catback exhaust on for a few weeks, and now after finally having used it at the track, I'm even more happy with my exhaust choice.

The AWE Track cat back adds just enough sound so you can actually hear the engine but not annoy your neighbors. At the track, it's just loud enough so I can actually hear it through my helmet so I can shift by the sound of the engine.
And those tips look good. I tuck them in a little further than most.

(Also - the stock muffler is a brick. Cut at the dimple, it weighs 23 lbs)

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Just installed mine from stock dp with AWE Touring to APR dp with AWE Touring. I do understand of the WOT sound but I think is a deeper growl not as trumpet like but each to their own

This morning was my first day of commuting with this setup and I spend about 45mins to about an hour and 15mins each way to work so I needed a setup with sporty sound but also bearable during my commute.

At the moment, my wife, which commutes with me didn't notice too much of the setup (since I didn't tell her). Also I do have few stretch of uphills and downhills so the down shift sound is much louder yet still bearable.

But the most important part as kDizz781 said no droning at highway speed. I was doing 70-80 mph at 2-25k RPM with no droning while my wife sleeps through the ride. So far I'm happy with this setup but will make my final decision once the weather is warmer with my windows down.

Here is my video of the before and after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7nn94z9Ozg

I don't know about the no drone. I have a APR DP/AWE Touring combo also and I hear drone, and it's much louder than I would like. Thinking of going back to stock exhaust. I checked everywhere to make sure there is clearance and all, and no leaks but I feel that there is droning in the cabin.

kDizz781

Ready to race!
Just want to again thank Kdizz for his clear, helpful comparison of exhaust systems. After having my AWE Track Catback exhaust on for a few weeks, and now after finally having used it at the track, I'm even more happy with my exhaust choice.

The AWE Track cat back adds just enough sound so you can actually hear the engine but not annoy your neighbors. At the track, it's just loud enough so I can actually hear it through my helmet so I can shift by the sound of the engine.
And those tips look good. I tuck them in a little further than most.

(Also - the stock muffler is a brick. Cut at the dimple, it weighs 23 lbs)

You're welcome, I am still exploring exhaust setups so I will update as I spend (waste) more $

I don't know about the no drone. I have a APR DP/AWE Touring combo also and I hear drone, and it's much louder than I would like. Thinking of going back to stock exhaust. I checked everywhere to make sure there is clearance and all, and no leaks but I feel that there is droning in the cabin.

I don't know what to tell you, IMO the touring with APR downpipe was pretty subtle, especially when driving normal. I didn't feel like drone was an issue at all.

To each their own, but from my research the stock exhaust with a DP will drone pretty bad. Check out GTIjake's post on how to find the right exhaust for you. You might have to replace the OEM resonator with a better vibrant one to reduce drone with that setup