GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing KW Coilovers, Should I Replace What?

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
I'll be installing KW Street Comforts on my GTI PP in the spring. The car currently has 45,000km which is around 28,000 miles. However, by the time I install it should be closer to 55,000km.

My question is what else should I consider replacing/upgrading while doing the install? I'll be running a set of Rotiform IND-T's 19x8.5 et45 235/35/19s if that makes any difference.

Buying everything ahead of time is ideal.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I'll be installing KW Street Comforts on my GTI PP in the spring. The car currently has 45,000km which is around 28,000 miles. However, by the time I install it should be closer to 55,000km.

My question is what else should I consider replacing/upgrading while doing the install? I'll be running a set of Rotiform IND-T's 19x8.5 et45 235/35/19s if that makes any difference.

Buying everything ahead of time is ideal.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
ECS Tuning and Shop Dap have install kits pre bundled with bolts, nuts and misc hardware. Start there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Minimum? Strut mount bearings.

Maximum? Install kits like TecklenburgVW recommended, but depending on your method of installation you might not need some parts like axle bolts, which aren't inexpensive.

In the middle for peace of mind, I'd recommend getting new front OEM shock mounts and bearings, maybe rear shock mounts to ensure you don't get any noises from worn components.

If you want a kit of just the bolts and nuts, they aren't too bad:

https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-.../mk7-gti-suspension-install-kit-complete.html

or

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ring-hardware-installation-kit/mk7coilhdwrkt/

The DAP kit doesn't include the axle bolts and saves a bit of money, if you install with the 2x4 method you wouldn't be removing the axle bolts. It does however include front and rear upper shock nuts where the ECS kit doesn't. Those would be included with your coilovers so you wouldn't need those.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you buy new strut mounts & bearings, for the front, that will allow you to assemble the front KW coilover struts ahead of time

Use the 2x4 method to remove the OEM strut assembly & then just "simply" drop the new coilover strut in place (it's shorter than the OEM strut)

It'll make life A LOT easier that way

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
I looked at the complete kit from DAP for the DCC GTI. Pretty expensive with the exchange rate for us Canadians but probably worth it.

I'll be doing the 2x4 method so anything to speed up the process and less fighting with the car is definitely worth it.