GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Inspection Now!" ???

drshark

Ready to race!
The R is telling me to get an inspection. But it's 20 months old (i.e., between one and two years) and has 18,000 miles (i.e., between 10,000 and 20,000 miles). So, it shouldn't be simple counting leading to the maintenance demand.

Is there some "soft" idiot light action going on here? Is there really a duty cycle counter? Nothing else seems amiss...

Shawn

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
The R is telling me to get an inspection. But it's 20 months old (i.e., between one and two years) and has 18,000 miles (i.e., between 10,000 and 20,000 miles). So, it shouldn't be simple counting leading to the maintenance demand.

Alert will be based on when the vehicle was manufactured, not when it was sold. So it might have reached 24 months timeframe.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It has alerts for inspection and oil change/maintenance. The inspection is for state inspections, which are usually every 12 months, at least always have been for me in the USA. You can turn off the announcements for both separately.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
It has alerts for inspection and oil change/maintenance. The inspection is for state inspections, which are usually every 12 months, at least always have been for me in the USA. You can turn off the announcements for both separately.

The inspection alert has nothing at all to do with state inspections, which don’t even exist in plenty of states. Your car doesn’t know in which state it’s registered.

To turn off the inspection alert using the odometer button maneuver you must first clear the oil service alert. Don’t know if they can be cleared independently with VCDS, but I’d guess they can.

Neil

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
In some states the state inspection is good for 5 years on new cars. Inspection is maintenance, not state inspection.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The inspection alert has nothing at all to do with state inspections, which don’t even exist in plenty of states. Your car doesn’t know in which state it’s registered.

To turn off the inspection alert using the odometer button maneuver you must first clear the oil service alert. Don’t know if they can be cleared independently with VCDS, but I’d guess they can.

Neil

Huh. That's interesting, didn't know that. What inspection are they talking about then? There's a separate warning for the service/maintenance interval. For my car, the inspection warning came on right before my yearly state inspection was due, so I assumed they had set that at the dealer or something.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Huh. That's interesting, didn't know that. What inspection are they talking about then? There's a separate warning for the service/maintenance interval. For my car, the inspection warning came on right before my yearly state inspection was due, so I assumed they had set that at the dealer or something.

Inspection = fancy German term for "service". BMW scheduled maintenance is called "Inspection 1", and "inspection 2" for the more major one that hoovers hundo's out of your wallet faster than a gold-digging trophy wife. :D

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Inspection = fancy German term for "service". BMW scheduled maintenance is called "Inspection 1", and "inspection 2" for the more major one that hoovers hundo's out of your wallet faster than a gold-digging trophy wife. :D

Good to know. I guess I was fooled by the coincidental timing. That, and the separate oil change notice which I foolishly assumed was the maintenance interval.

Those wacky Germans.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
My "inspect now" alert just came on 3 years after build date at 16K miles.

As you can see I don't put a lot of miles on the car, and also do frequent short journeys in town, so I change oil every 5K miles. I do my own routine maintenance, so the 5K interval is convenient to keep track of. For my driving pattern the oil service alert would come up at yearly intervals anyway.

So true.

Neil