GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got done installing VWR springs on my MK& GTI, and have a question.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
So after a day and a half and a little bit of initial frustration I finished the spring swap on my MK7 GTI. Despite the driver-side front strut being a PITA, everything went really smoothly and really well; the drop looks great and after my first test drive everything seems to be in order. The front doesn't have any noise at all and the ride is just as good as stock, IMO.

However during my 30 minute drive I noticed a quiet clunking noise coming from the rear passenger area of the car. It seemed random and wasn't timed with bumps or deviations in the road, however it happened most often with deceleration or changes in speed. I googled and did what research I could and it was suggested if things aren't snugged and torqued up on the rear control arms that it can cause noise, however I torqued all bolts and nuts to VW specs (though getting the 180 turn at the end on some of them was damn near impossible without it being up on a lift).

Any suggestions? Is this normal while it settles in over time? I plan on getting my new tires put on in a week or two and getting an alignment once the springs have settled. I figured I'd have them check the torque while its up on the lift for peace of mind.

Edit - I used the 2x4 method for the front; rear suspension was the removal of the strut bolt, swaybar bolt, and the knuckle bolt.

Last edited:

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Did you tighten/torque down the rear LCA bolts with the suspension loaded?
(or use a jack underneath to compress the spring/LCA to simulate load, then tighten)

I used a jack to help get everything to line back up, but I can't remember if I applied load once I torqued everything down. I don't think I did. Should I have?

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Should I have?

Yup

Think about it....if you torqued everything down with the suspension drooping, BUT your suspension sits up higher (when loaded/on the ground)....it's in a different position
(the rubber bushings, between the nut/bolt, could be tightened in the wrong position & not aligned properly is my point)

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Yup

Think about it....if you torqued everything down with the suspension drooping, BUT your suspension sits up higher (when loaded/on the ground)....it's in a different position
(the rubber bushings, between the nut/bolt, could be tightened in the wrong position & not aligned properly is my point)

Fair point, I reached under and loosened then retightened the end links and that helped quiet things down noticeably. Still getting some clunks every so often. I'll get the car back up on stands and give it a go this weekend.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Wanted to follow up after taking apart the rear suspension and re-assembling, then applying load before torquing. Took it for about a 20 mile test drive across roads of various qualities. No noise from the rear at all. Not going to call it in just yet, but it seems this did the trick.