GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro MK7 Golf R Sounds different to US Golf R ?

mk4_337

Ready to race!
I tried searching to see if someone else had asked this on any forums and even searched through Google but I've noticed that the European Golf R's with the Militek catback only exhaust pops way more than the US Golf R's?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this too?

It even sounds different with the stock catback on

Last edited:

KO7

Ready to race!
Lack of multi-port injection in North American Golf Rs ☹️
Disappointing while stock, disappointing with my Milltek which is now off the car. Makes the noises really boring and lacking in character. I'm back to stock catback with non-resonated midpipe while I weigh my options. Sigh.

defcon5

Ready to race!
This is true. My brother has Golf R MK7 in Italy. At 2/4 to WOT it does make a different noise but to me it was the same 1/2 or less.

mk4_337

Ready to race!
I think I noticed this too even with the regular GTI's.

Not sure if it's just me but the Euro GTI had more exhaust pops. 2 members here have the Clubsport S muffler fitted to their GTI, but the guy with ROW GTI have really prominent pops when revving.

Yeah man :/ I think this is the only thing holding me back on purchasing an exhaust for my R

Lack of multi-port injection in North American Golf Rs ☹️
Disappointing while stock, disappointing with my Milltek which is now off the car. Makes the noises really boring and lacking in character. I'm back to stock catback with non-resonated midpipe while I weigh my options. Sigh.
Damn, we really got screwed on the multi-port injection being excluded on our VW's, le sigh
This makes sense now I didn't think about the MPI having such a noticeable affect on our GTI's & Golf R's

C7ZZ

Ready to race!

KO7

Ready to race!
Shame on North American car reviewers for not mentioning it, particularly those who went overseas to drive the euro Rs first before they were released here.

There's plenty of us early adopters who never even heard an R in motion, much less go for a test drive before we signed the dotted line for our cars. IMO, it lost a lot of its character in its transition from Euro to N.A. spec. The sound of the car is that important to me. Might've stretched the budget to an M235i at the time had I known.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I tried searching to see if someone else had asked this on any forums and even searched through Google but I've noticed that the European Golf R's with the Militek catback only exhaust pops way more than the US Golf R's?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this too?

It even sounds different with the stock catback on

Watching this video made me think the NA are is definitely quieter.

https://youtu.be/xX_tJFfBt_c