GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Because only 1 person has ever provided track IAT data for an IC and it was an IE. Until someone provides data it's #1.

Basically this, combined with street data.

The track data was excellent for severe use, and all of the other data for street use is consistently among the top preformers.

If CTS, Uni, Magic, etc don't perform as well as IE on the street, they're sure as hell not going to on the track.

Last edited:

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I fixed a boost leak on the Mabotech bicooler tubes and ran another log this morning after some mini-pulls to test the seal. I'm actually seeing LESS pressure drop than on the CTS - take a look at the actuator duty:

Mabotech:
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/leak-testing-think-its-fixed?log=0&data=1-4-6-8&solo=4

CTS FMIC:
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/100k-200k-93s?log=0&data=1-6-8&zoom=18-122

If you enable the 'Actual Engine Torque' value, you can also see there was actually a power bump as well. Same settings, same tank of gas, very similar ambient air temps (+/- 5 deg F)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Basically this, combined with street data.

The track data was excellent for severe use, and all of the other data for street use is consistently among the top preformers.

If CTS, Uni, Magic, etc don't perform as well as IE on the street, they're sure as hell not going to on the track.

So how do you record the IAT data while at the track? Because I wouldn't mind doing so if or when I get the chance to track my car.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
So how do you record the IAT data while at the track? Because I wouldn't mind doing so if or when I get the chance to track my car.

Those logs were from me. I have an ODB-II wifi dongle which is connected to my phone. I use track addict to record video (sometimes) and datalog to see my lap times. If you have Android you can get almost any generic ODB-II reader. If you have an iPhone you'll want to check with the vendor of the logging software (Harry's Lap Timer / Track Addict / Racechrono) and see what modules they recommend.

I have this model b/c it was cheap and well tested.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-p/897346002344.htm

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Any pics of the mabotech?
Pics. CTS FMIC for scale lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ashiun

Ready to race!
goodness me that's massive lol

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Would like to see how the Mabotech bicooler performs with either the stock cooler, or an R cooler. Or, if it's to be paired with either of the stock coolers, would it just be better to run it strictly as a FMIC (not as a bicooler)? I know, I know, stock location coolers generally perform better than an FMIC or bicooler, but I'm curious as to how much difference there is between the different setups. GTI (IS20) with R cooler and 5150 E40 tune here.