GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro headlight switch for only $15.48!

SVTunit

Ready to race!
So I took a gamble and ordered this VW Euro headlight switch from AliExpress.com for $15.48 shipped and it's awesome! The quality is indistinguishable from the OEM switch and functions perfectly. If you are looking to save some $, I highly recommend it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...32824549577.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.arn0vW

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I bought a $16 one off of ebay. While it works fine, after a few months Im already noticing the black plastic is not of good quality. Its getting scuffed up and looking more gray. I might replace it at some point but I have better things to spend my money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTunit

Ready to race!
So what specifically are you doing with this upgrade?
The Euro switch allows you to run your fog lights with just your running lights. The standard US version switch only allows you to turn on the fogs with the headlights on.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
The Euro switch allows you to run your fog lights with just your running lights. The standard US version switch only allows you to turn on the fogs with the headlights on.

Ah okay. Hadn't known that because I've got a sport and don't have fogs. Thanks for letting me know.

I remember years ago on previous platforms guys enabling rear fogs and needing the euroswitch for that, but rear fogs don't seem to be a think people do on the mK7.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
On that note, this switch also allows you to turn on the rear fog if installed. One more feature is that it also gives you automatic headlights if your stock trim is lacking it. My 2017 Sport with LP did not have that feature on the switch.

doolin64

Passed Driver's Ed
On that note, this switch also allows you to turn on the rear fog if installed. One more feature is that it also gives you automatic headlights if your stock trim is lacking it. My 2017 Sport with LP did not have that feature on the switch.

Is any coding needed? I've had auto headlights on my last four or five vehicles and I miss that feature.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I didnt even realize my car came with the sensor, or that I even needed one. I just installed the switch and huzzah, I had auto headlights. Makes me scratch my head why VW would install the sensor but not the switch.

No coding done. 2017 GTI Sport with LP.

Btw I cleaned the switch with 303 and it looks black and brand new again. I guess I just have to wipe it down more often than the oem switch.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I didnt even realize my car came with the sensor, or that I even needed one. I just installed the switch and huzzah, I had auto headlights. Makes me scratch my head why VW would install the sensor but not the switch.

No coding done. 2017 GTI Sport with LP.

Btw I cleaned the switch with 303 and it looks black and brand new again. I guess I just have to wipe it down more often than the oem switch.
.___. Interesting. I'm curious about my car now since I've always put this mod towards the bottom knowing/thinking the Sport would need the additional light sensor

Edit: just looked through every photo I've taken of my car. I don't see a sensor on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Poop.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Sorry seems that I have been talking out of my ass. Honestly I only played it with it briefly after first installing the switch and it seemed to work. I was mistaken. Sorry to get your hopes up folks.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you have the switch set to Auto mode and don't have the sensor, you get a Vehicle Lighting Fault or something on the main screen after like 30 seconds or something.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Didnt realize there is a pause before the lights turn on. Turned them on in the day time, no lights, didnt bother to wait, switched it off. Turned them on at night, they came on after a pause. Just assumed the auto feature worked. Yesterday, left them on for 10sec or so and I got the error message. No biggie for me, since I obviously dont care to use it anyway.