GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Fuel Tank- Aux. Heater Metering Pump Install

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
I have access to a Webasto dealer, but none of the techs have dealt with a recent model Golf that isn't diesel. Has anyone retrofitted one yet in NAR?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I have located all the parts except for one of the two 2-pins connectors that go to the heater.

I think everything can be bought (used) for around 500 EUR.

I have read installation and repair manuals, it is definitely doable, the fuel tank does NOT need to be dismantled, you can do everything from the top, all you need is removing the rear seat bench; also the front bumper can stay, just remove both front and rear right wheels.

I have found a mechanic who will help me do the retrofit, I have planned for september.
now standing by :)

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I was able to get the heater brand new for 200 EUR, which is a real bargain. I also got the exhaust, fuel pump, remote tx/rx and some parts for wiring.

I figured out all the wiring which is not bad at all. What I am scared about is the fuel line part and inserting the heater into the coolant circuit. For those two steps I will get help from a shop next week.

I am excited to get this thing running.

Derf

Ready to race!
That’s great! If you go forward with the install please take lots of pictures and make a post about the install to help the rest of us.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I found out that I am still missing an extension for the coolant hoses. I was lucky to find it in Poland, it's on its way here now. I will install as much as I can by myself to save on the shop's time.

I already tried connecting the Aux Heater and VCDS sees the module at address 18.

So far so good.

Derf

Ready to race!
Any pics of the coolant extension hose?

What / how did you connect the Webasto to the car that VcDS sees it?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I hope it is allowed to link an eBay object, check 253657483194

that is the hard pipe extension. I believe it could be "faked" with soft rubber pipe but I think it's metal cause it goes very close where the exhaust start in the back of the engine.

Webasto needs six wires. power from the engine fusebox, CAN, remote and fuel pump.

I wired everything, just the thing is not mounted yet. I plugged it in on the fly and put the fuse. it shows up at address 18 in VCDS.

as it should :)

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
today I mounted the unit in the wheel area, and routed the coolant hoses. I also installed the metal extension pipe, it takes some time cause it's very narrow around.

I will soon get help from a mechanic to tap into the coolant circuit.

I also need to do the fuel line, which I really cannot do with a jack, the whole car needs to be lifted up. I hope I don't have to lower the fuel tank.

bbjwvr6

Passed Driver's Ed
today I mounted the unit in the wheel area, and routed the coolant hoses. I also installed the metal extension pipe, it takes some time cause it's very narrow around.

I will soon get help from a mechanic to tap into the coolant circuit.

I also need to do the fuel line, which I really cannot do with a jack, the whole car needs to be lifted up. I hope I don't have to lower the fuel tank.

If you are installing the VW OEM system, which it sounds like you are, because the controller is connected to the BCM, you don't need to lower the fuel tank.

The wiring and fuel tank connections can be made under the back seat. The metering pump can be installed in the existing bracket on the fuel tank by carefully reaching up from under the car and snapping it into place. It's quite tight, but I did it.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
yes I am installing the OEM system.

I was able to do the fuel line as well. I went up on ramps with the rear wheels, and that lifted the car enough for myself to lay on my back, on the ground, and access the area under the fuel tank. it was still tight but totally doable.

I confirm there is no need to lower the tank.

the pump is zip-tied to a big cable passing just there, I could not really reach the existing bracket. it also looked like it is for something of a different shape.

tapping into the fuel tank is easy under the back seat, just cut the nipple and insert the straw. I also routed the two wires for the pump through here.

my fuel line follows the car's duct but I didn't go inside. it looked pretty impossible, even with a cable puller, especially where it goes up to appear next to the ABS controller. I instead went straight, and reached the Webasto from behind the front wheel. of course the fuel line is zip-tied every 10 inches.

I ran the "filling fuel line" procedure with VCDS and the hose is filled up to the heater.

within the next two days I will have a mechanic connect the coolant hoses, then top-up and bleed the circuit.

I should be good, I just need to find out how to code and initialize the heater, I need to do "basic settings" somehow.

Derf

Ready to race!
Awesome work so far, keep us posted on your progress!

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
https://ibb.co/gX4379

I need a small clarification about how to connect the coolant hoses, please see attached picture. I happen to understand the Aux Heater is just "in series" with the coolant hose feeding the heat exchanger.

So I would disconnect coupling "A" and put it into pipe "B", thus feeding the Aux Heater.
Then I would take output hose "C", from Heater, and put it where I took the "A" off, thus feeding the heat exchanger.
Hose "D" stays untouched.

Then just top-up and bleed the circuit.

Am I right?

Last edited:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
ok water hoses are now connected. I coded modules 08, 09 and 17 to tell them the Aux Heater is present. however, I am not getting any extra menu in the climate menu and I get a fault of no "basic setting".

does anybody know how to initialize the heater?

Code:
Friday,14,September,2018,19:20:30:06888
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 18.2.1.5 (x64)  HEX-V2 CB: 0.4411.4
Data version: 20180518 DS287.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVWZZZAUZHW0xxxxx   License Plate: 
Mileage: 20995km-13045mi   Repair Order: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: AU-VW37 (5Q0)
Scan: 01 03 08 09 10 15 16 17 18 19 42 44 52 5F

VIN: WVWZZZAUZHW0xxxxx   Mileage: 20995km-13045miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
18-Aux. Heat -- Status: Malfunction 0010