GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI vs STI

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Ah here we go:

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
If it was the 5 speed I'm surprised it survived the launch.

FWIW my GTI survived 30k miles before cylinder 3 went sideways, each platform has it problems.

Going to look at a MK7 Golf S tonight after work for a new daily though.

he said he had a built trans, but was complaining about it anyways..
30k for a rod to go through the block had to be either a fluke bad motor or a mediocre tune on high boost.. My TT lasted 90k without issue, it wasn't until a wastegate hose split and I was overboosting before I spun a rod bearing around 92k or so. I think the upgraded rods went in @ 80k, so i got around 12k out of them, when I opened the engine it still had factory cross-hatching on the cylinder walls

Last edited:

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
This varies widely based on the tune.

With Unitronic my car was absolutely faster reving all the way to redline (21psi).

With Cobb, it was definitely faster to shift early (28-29psi).

You can tune pretty much any turbo car to be peaky at different RPMs. Unitronic is probably one of the least aggressive tunes out there. If you have a map peaking near 30 PSI then your boost is going to taper hard near redline and power is going to fall off fast. There's a reason the fastest is20 cars are all shifting before 5500 RPM. If you're on a very mild tune then yes, it's possible that you make power all the way to redline. However you're sacrificing A LOT of what the is20 is capable of to do so. Here's a dyno sheet from my car: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33914

Shifting right around 5300 RPM means I'm shifting right before the power/torque falls off hard and puts me in the next gear where there's a lot of torque. is20s don't make power when they're wound out to redline.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
You can tune pretty much any turbo car to be peaky at different RPMs. Unitronic is probably one of the least aggressive tunes out there. If you have a map peaking near 30 PSI then your boost is going to taper hard near redline and power is going to fall off fast. There's a reason the fastest is20 cars are all shifting before 5500 RPM. If you're on a very mild tune then yes, it's possible that you make power all the way to redline. However you're sacrificing A LOT of what the is20 is capable of to do so. Here's a dyno sheet from my car: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33914

Shifting right around 5300 RPM means I'm shifting right before the power/torque falls off hard and puts me in the next gear where there's a lot of torque. is20s don't make power when they're wound out to redline.

Well said. :).