GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delete

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Or you could get one for cheaper used. I've seen a few in the sub $50 range, and to my knowledge no one has bought one so there is a bunch more supply than demand. Also, do you need a bleeder block?

EDIT: The clutch is currently $1760 on ECS with a $50 gift card you could probably use on one of the other parts. Although stage 3 endurance seems awfully overkill to me at a rated 580ftlbs, unless you're planning a build that will rival or surpass most stage 3 GTI's and R's.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can't wait to live vicariously through you.

So what are you going to tune the is38 with. Just jb4?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Can't wait to live vicariously through you.

So what are you going to tune the is38 with. Just jb4?

I think that's his only option.

I can't wait to see how the swap goes! You will be my model for what I do when my clutch goes.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
$550 for a transmission mount?!?

The stage 2 transmission mount insert is like $50 from BFI, or $120 if you buy the whole thing (which is kinda pointless since it's just a new stock mount with the insert already in it)

I've had all three BFI mounts (full engine mount, trans insert, and dogbone insert) on my mk6 and mk7 GTI and highly suggest them for anyone looking to upgrade. All three are under $300 IIRC

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I can't relate at all. Over 40,000 mile on each respective set with zero issues or change in performance. The trans insert is still mounted in the jelly soft stock rubber so it has no need to flex or move.

To each their own tho, good luck with the swap

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That means you'll have to replace the bc coilovers.

But on the bright side, you'll have so many more options

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Every VW axle I’ve ever pulled was stuck, just put the bolt back in loose (or a 3/8 extension) and hit it with a hammer

What’s a squential gearbox run? That would be pretty badass

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice man sounds like fun. I’m an A&P based at CLT, and originally from Ohio. I’d suggest trying to get down here if you have any say in it. Weather and area is pretty hard to beat and cost of living is actually cheaper than NE OH.

The new FAA tower here looks pretty serious too, I’d imagine there’s gonna be new jobs along with the new tower and all the airport expansion coming up

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like you abused trans and killed syncro first time, and now something on clutch broke off. Because bell houing is damaged. Drive a 6 speed swap same way and it won’t last either.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Ah young padawan you have much to learn. The synchro was deemed a faulty part not from abuse. According to the tech and rep the way the synchro had broken wasn’t possible from driving. Back to why the internals of the MQ250 NZA aren’t rated for stage 2 levels of power. I had almost double the torque the trans was designed for. Yes the ratings are on the conservator/shy side, but exceeding the limits will eventually break things. Reading on the Mk4 forums (which also have MQ250 5 speeds) it’s very common for a diff failure around these power levels.

The MQ250 literally means:
M - Manual
Q - Quer(Across/Transverse)
250 - 250NM rating(184 ft/lb)

The GTI is an MQ350
M - Manual
350 - 350NM rating(258 ft/lb)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this could happen on the street on a stage 2 daily driver. My failure occured long before the track day. The track day just exacerbated the issue.

You do realize the other guy is making like another 60+ lbs of torque than you and probably another 70+ hp on the 5spd. No issues at all with his. I believe it's launching it like you stole it is what caused your problems

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Ah young padawan you have much to learn. The synchro was deemed a faulty part not from abuse. According to the tech and rep the way the synchro had broken wasn’t possible from driving. Back to why the internals of the MQ250 NZA aren’t rated for stage 2 levels of power. I had almost double the torque the trans was designed for. Yes the ratings are on the conservator/shy side, but exceeding the limits will eventually break things. Reading on the Mk4 forums (which also have MQ250 5 speeds) it’s very common for a diff failure around these power levels.

The MQ250 literally means:
M - Manual
250 - 250NM rating(184 ft/lb)

The GTI is an MQ350
M - Manual
350 - 350NM rating(258 ft/lb)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this could happen on the street on a stage 2 daily driver. My failure occured long before the track day. The track day just exacerbated the issue.

Syncro don’t fail from power. They fail from bad shifting.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
US Market DSGs are mainly DQ250s. DSG nomering is not the same as Manuals. DQ200s are rated at 250Nm while the DQ250s are rated for 350Nm. APR states slippage starts around 380lb/ft for the DQ250 in the Mk7. Interesting that the Mk7 R/Clubsport both have 280lb/ft ~ 30lb/ft over what the DQ250 was originally designed for, which proves VW did underrate them.

Blame the driver all you want, but things have mechanical limits. You can only exceed them for so long before they fault. I’d say 60,000 miles with 130+lb/ft over the factory rating is pretty great!

I need to introduce you to my friend Chris