GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
I just emailed Gpop and this is their answer:

Thank you for your interest. We do not recommend rebalancing these turbo, it has been our experience that this does not extend the life of these units. It seems that if these are going to fail, they fail, balanced or unbalanced, new/rebuilt/used, nothing changes it. We would suggest the ceramic coating for performance, and anything that can help control the heat is always beneficial.

I assume you asked them about the IS38? Their stance on the IS20 should be different last I heard.

formgen

GPOP replied back to my email and said the IS38 will eventually fail, balanced or not due to oil starvation. He said they are still working on hybrid turbo with BMP but didnt have any release date.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
GPOP replied back to my email and said the IS38 will eventually fail, balanced or not due to oil starvation. He said they are still working on hybrid turbo with BMP but didnt have any release date.

They told me they don't actually know why they're failing. In fact, oil starvation was a theory they put to the test by opening up the oil inlet/outlet passages and units with that mod still failed.

Their advice to me was to either get a proper BT or just throw on the is38 and hope it doesn't blow after getting tuned. I initially inquired about balance, opening up the oil passages, and possibly going the hybrid route depending on cost and they recommended I save my money and do none of the above.

I doubt they will invest much more time in an is38 hybrid. That BMP one was available for sale a while ago but I think they're no longer confident in the is38 to guarantee anything. Also, given the cost, its not worth it.

Just put it on as is, get a BT, or leave the is20 imo. No reason for a respectable business to advise against a service you are willing to pay for unless they feel it is truly useless and just gives people a false sense of security which could come back to bite them after a few pop.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
They told me they don't actually know why they're failing. In fact, oil starvation was a theory they put to the test by opening up the oil inlet/outlet passages and units with that mod still failed.

Their advice to me was to either get a proper BT or just throw on the is38 and hope it doesn't blow after getting tuned. I initially inquired about balance, opening up the oil passages, and possibly going the hybrid route depending on cost and they recommended I save my money and do none of the above.

I doubt they will invest much more time in an is38 hybrid. That BMP one was available for sale a while ago but I think they're no longer confident in the is38 to guarantee anything. Also, given the cost, its not worth it.

Just put it on as is, get a BT, or leave the is20 imo. No reason for a respectable business to advise against a service you are willing to pay for unless they feel it is truly useless and just gives people a false sense of security which could come back to bite them after a few pop.

For what is worth for $1999 you have 1 year warranty on your turbo
http://performance.vargasturbo.com/products/

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
We did say Dec, but we are pushing it back so we can put as many miles as possible on our production sample to ensure its longevity before we ship any units. ECS is very interested in the turbo as well, and are making them wait, so it's not just you guys. We prefer to really put it through its paces for a solid amount of time before calling something ready for you guys. With all that said, each turbo will come with a 1-year unlimited mileage warranty. We are trying to make sure everything is perfect before release, you can at least expect some pictures soon though! We apologize for the delay, but we feel its in everyone's best interest to thoroughly test the unit before shipping.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I don’t have the time right now, but I think a new thread covering our turbo charger options would be a good idea. One where we can track who’s who and what products they have to replace or create a hybrid. Would also help with tracking reliability of those products.

888Gen3

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GOLF MK8 GTI
I don’t have the time right now, but I think a new thread covering our turbo charger options would be a good idea. One where we can track who’s who and what products they have to replace or create a hybrid. Would also help with tracking reliability of those products.

If your IS20 turbo gets blown - a reinforced IS20 Upgrade charger seems promising: One among others is the new
PnP LM440 IS20 charger (for all G MK7 and Seat Cupras and Audi S1 S3) - found the dyno and acceleration video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDM82l-o20

ashiun

Ready to race!
Sooo basically what I'm gathering from all this is to skip the IS38 upgrade path? I've a great deal from on one from my buddy but all these issues are scaring me.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

I created it a week ago and already have a ton of input and options

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I created it a week ago and already have a ton of input and options

Yessir and I thanked you for creating it on the first page! Thanks again for keeping the first post updated, it is much appreciated. :D

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Sooo basically what I'm gathering from all this is to skip the IS38 upgrade path? I've a great deal from on one from my buddy but all these issues are scaring me.
My is38 works great, Dailey driven on 27psi and I drive my car hard it's a rev t and has around 8-10k miles on it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk