GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bay Area Drive / Car Work

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Sounds interesting. Where in the north bay? I'm up there too. I know of a lot of good routes around mt. Tam and highway 1.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Sounds interesting. Where in the north bay? I'm up there too. I know of a lot of good routes around mt. Tam and highway 1.

Shop is in Larkspur. Unfortunately, last year the heavy rains washed out some of the 1, not sure if it has been repaired yet. The meet up can be anywhere in the bay however. There are a lot of great roads up here as you know, if only our taxes would go towards repairing them, they could be even better. I put on 100k on my old car driving the 101 between SF and Eureka (Spent 5 years in Arcata and McKinleyville, got the 270+ mile drive down to about 4 hours with no stops and traffic, only one ticket :D ) , and have driven the 1 from start to finish a few times, and the whole north stretch multiple times. I have yet to do it in the GTI. Outside of taking the 101 from here to LA and back, jumping to the PCH (1) asap, haven't got to drive many good roads. The landslide at Big Sir was still being cleared so we took the 101 until we passed that.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Awesome, you're within about 3 miles of me!

Highway 1 only washed out the part between the bridge and Stinson (and some much further south), but everything north of that is mostly fine. At least the parts I drive. I hope they fix everything soon though.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
As long as the meets aren't in San Bruno or Rohnert Park, I'm down. Everytime the BMW or Honda guys I used to chill with posted a local meet it was always the furthest away from the East Bay as possible.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
As long as the meets aren't in San Bruno or Rohnert Park, I'm down. Everytime the BMW or Honda guys I used to chill with posted a local meet it was always the furthest away from the East Bay as possible.

Completely understand. In fact one of my coworkers has been talking to me about hosting a Cars and Coffee at our shop. On Sunday's the street is pretty dead and there is a lot of parking and a good but expensive cafe just down the street.

Shop is located in larkspur. I figured for the meet ups we could switch locations every month. North bay drive, East bay drive, South bay drive, and Work day at the shop should maximize peoples ability to participate.

It is all really what people feel like doing. Once I gather peoples user names, I will start doing a group message so we can all work out the details, as well as updating this thread with them. I probably have to post an actual thread in the general forum to try and get the other 10+ people local to see this thread. Maybe I'll make a list on the first post of everyone local, and if you know someone who isn't on there you can post their name.

It might have to wait till this weekend for me to get everything started, but I'll try here and there.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Yeah posting a thread elsewhere on this forum would probably generate more interest. Look forward to getting this done and meeting some local enthusiasts.. it's been a while.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I'm located in Davis but my hometown is in Marin so I'm around frequently. Would be up for this. Wrath, does your shop work on our cars a lot? Would love to support a fellow member if possible. Wanted to install some springs soon.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I'm located in Davis but my hometown is in Marin so I'm around frequently. Would be up for this. Wrath, does your shop work on our cars a lot? Would love to support a fellow member if possible. Wanted to install some springs soon.

We have only worked on a few MK7's so far. Mainly simple stuff like oil services and having our sublet replace a broken window. Most non-forum people still take their cars to the dealer for service or buy the service contracts. We usually don't see "new" cars until they have been around for 5 years or so.

The shop itself does some modification work, and since the MK7 is my baby, I would be the one doing the work. Also because I'm bringing in customers that wouldn't normally come, my father (the owner) is fine with us doing work on the side. So if you feel comfortable doing work yourself, but want a lift and shop tools, then we could do work on the weekend.

That is the other goal of this thread. Meeting up and driving as well as working on the cars. It helps me get experience, and if you feel like going through the shop, that is also fine. As a "friend" I can get you a small discount (...like $20, but that's something right?).

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I would be down for that in either of my Golfs. I have a pair of white 2018s, one GTI, one R.

I suggested in your intro thread to come here.. Looks like you beat me to it haha.

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, hows it going.

I've been in contact with a few of you in the Bay Area, so I figured I would start a thread. I think it would be great to start a monthly meet up for a drive. I also can open up my shop on the weekends if local people want to use lifts for some work. I have a lot of tools and so does the shop. Still working on getting some special tools for the MK7.

Anyways if anyone has interest in a meet up, let me know by replying or sending me a PM. I'll start compiling names and locations to get a sense of where a meet up would make sense, as well as a route to drive. I'm located in the North Bay and it seems a lot of you guys are East or South, so we can figure something out. I'll probably make a post in the one of the GD threads to get more attention.
Sounds good with me, I'm in Oakland and have seen a few modded VWs around. Worst comes to worst it's a way to help out or share strange tools!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

KDahlstrom

Hey guys, hows it going.

I've been in contact with a few of you in the Bay Area, so I figured I would start a thread. I think it would be great to start a monthly meet up for a drive. I also can open up my shop on the weekends if local people want to use lifts for some work. I have a lot of tools and so does the shop. Still working on getting some special tools for the MK7.

Anyways if anyone has interest in a meet up, let me know by replying or sending me a PM. I'll start compiling names and locations to get a sense of where a meet up would make sense, as well as a route to drive. I'm located in the North Bay and it seems a lot of you guys are East or South, so we can figure something out. I'll probably make a post in the one of the GD threads to get more attention.

Count me in. I just started modifying my car and I'm interested to see what other people are doing to their GTIs.