GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Does it matter which IS20 revision I get if my intention is to have it rebuilt, ported/polished, and balanced?

I have a line on one out of a 15 GTI with 50~k for a decent price.

Thanks.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
Might want to check your logs. You should be hitting 15 easy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wife: *Flicks on disposal*.... *hears turbo spool*...
Wife: Oh what the fuck has he done this time....

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Quick update on the IS20 hybrid from GPOP:

We have finished the inspection and I thought that I would give you a quick overview of it. The good news is that everything checks out 100% within specs, all clearances, tolerances, etc... No excessive wear, no signs of any wheel contact, everything still meets or exceeds the OE specifications. We also checked all of the gasket surfaces and seals for any potential leaks (exhaust or air) and did not find anything. We see no reason for the "flute" type noise. Before we clean everything and reassemble it, did you have any other observations from removing the turbo that you would like for us to check while we are at this point? Let us know and we will go from there. Thank you!

So - this is good and bad.

I'll start with the bad:
No idea where the noise was coming from. Loose gasket, inlet, idk. I wish they had found something obviously wrong with it, like scoring on the bearings or the infamous 'signs of oil starvation', but alas, the thing is still rock solid. Bastard.

The good:
I ran what I would consider the pants off of this turbo, and there is no shaft play, no wheel contact, and my favorite - no excessive wear. Considering the boost I threw at this thing while stress testing, I'm pretty surprised to hear this.

No need to wonder what went wrong anymore. I know some of the N54 turbos whine like this also and run fine for years. Call it 'character'.

I won't be reinstalling this, though a fellow forum-member will. The IS38 has been doing just fine for me, and I've come to appreciate the extended powerband :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
What happened with Litco? Did anyone else lately do one of their bigger wheel is20’s? Is Gpop doing bigger wheels? Sorry, been out of touch on this one.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Quick update on the IS20 hybrid from GPOP:

We have finished the inspection and I thought that I would give you a quick overview of it. The good news is that everything checks out 100% within specs, all clearances, tolerances, etc... No excessive wear, no signs of any wheel contact, everything still meets or exceeds the OE specifications. We also checked all of the gasket surfaces and seals for any potential leaks (exhaust or air) and did not find anything. We see no reason for the "flute" type noise. Before we clean everything and reassemble it, did you have any other observations from removing the turbo that you would like for us to check while we are at this point? Let us know and we will go from there. Thank you!

So - this is good and bad.

I'll start with the bad:
No idea where the noise was coming from. Loose gasket, inlet, idk. I wish they had found something obviously wrong with it, like scoring on the bearings or the infamous 'signs of oil starvation', but alas, the thing is still rock solid. Bastard.

The good:
I ran what I would consider the pants off of this turbo, and there is no shaft play, no wheel contact, and my favorite - no excessive wear. Considering the boost I threw at this thing while stress testing, I'm pretty surprised to hear this.

No need to wonder what went wrong anymore. I know some of the N54 turbos whine like this also and run fine for years. Call it 'character'.

I won't be reinstalling this, though a fellow forum-member will. The IS38 has been doing just fine for me, and I've come to appreciate the extended powerband :)

Leads me to believe might be DV or wastegate related??

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
What happened with Litco? Did anyone else lately do one of their bigger wheel is20’s? Is Gpop doing bigger wheels? Sorry, been out of touch on this one.

I think 2slowvw has a Littco IS20 hybrid. CT Motorsports in PR is doing hybrids, and have some success with them. GPOP can do IS38 wheels in an IS20 housing, which is what I ran until it started whining. Never dropped power, but made a funny noise.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Leads me to believe might be DV or wastegate related??

Could have been, yeah. I never swapped the DV or performed the wastegate adaptation, as the WGDC was always fine in logs.

Probably DV not sealing all the way. I should have checked that before I sent it off to them - I think you suggested this when I complained about the noise to begin with, and I have a spare GFB DV+ sitting on my desk. Doh.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I think 2slowvw has a Littco IS20 hybrid. CT Motorsports in PR is doing hybrids, and have some success with them. GPOP can do IS38 wheels in an IS20 housing, which is what I ran until it started whining. Never dropped power, but made a funny noise.

What is the power difference between the two? Hybrid is20 versus is38?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Port and polish? What sort of numbers do people get on the is20 with that? I did my k04 and added the forge WG.... honestly know very little about these turbos

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
What is the power difference between the two? Hybrid is20 versus is38?

The hybrid spools faster by a few hundo RPM.

Based on my dyno runs, its about 20whp less than IS38 on pump.

Stock tune with DP, IC, Intake on this dyno did 220whp. JB4 did 270whp on IS20 + pump, hybrid IS20 on Maestro did 310whp on pump.

It's around 20whp less than IS38.

Edit: this dyno sucks and is always reading low. Nothing is wrong with the car; it's been compression tested, has 5k oil changes, and fresh plugs before each dyno session.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
The hybrid spools faster by a few hundo RPM.

Based on my dyno runs, its about 20whp less than IS38 on pump.

Stock tune with DP, IC, Intake on this dyno did 220whp. JB4 did 270whp on IS20 + pump, hybrid IS20 on Maestro did 310whp on pump.

It's around 20whp less than IS38.

Edit: this dyno sucks and is always reading low. Nothing is wrong with the car; it's been compression tested, has 5k oil changes, and fresh plugs before each dyno session.

Thanks for information. Yeah, I did my first run on my car and quickly realized by the numbers my piggy was not plugged in. Pissed me off... IC swap I somehow did not get it plugged in properly. Shit happens...

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
So this is super late in coming in.

I actually kept working on this project for quite awhile, I tested an is20 hybrid from GPOP over the past 2 months. Had a great deal of fun with it and I have to say the CS from GPOP has been fantastic. Gerry has been my main contact has been fantastic with answering questions and helping me sort through things.

I intially used the JB4 and things worked very well but was approached by COBB and now using their software along with the Hybrid. Things have been pretty promising so far I'm just terrible at informing others of what I'm up to.

Took the turbo out a few weeks ago to get it inspected as I was having issues with generating the right amount of boost after a really hard 2 weeks of straight abuse on track with the turbo.

Sent it in, they informed the turbo itself looked fine, no oil issues or anything but didn't like how the shaft looked so they rebuilt it again for me to go forth with all new hardware and use for the rest of the summer. I think it was DV related and for this round of testing will be using the OEM DV and not my GFB DV+. I don't think it was operating correctly with the new setup and was really the only weak link in this system. (sounded it like would not close properly)

Its going back in today and will report back later this month or next with Logs, pictures, video and all of that.

Sorry for the delay and just kinda forgetting that other people wanted in on this venture. I have to say I REALLY like this. The power delivery is fantastic and after driving a Golf R last week on track and racing other bigger turbo mk7s, I really enjoy the quality power pick up of the Hybrid. Spool right is insane and DD use is great. With the jb4 and with cobb things are looking well.

So if you were still looking for non BIG turbo options this is still out there and hopefully I can shed some light on this for the rest of us. I still think there is a market for those of us who want more power but don't need 450hp...its largely unusable for the most of us. I don't do drag at all so its useless for me to have that much available for reliable use.

Stay tuned and thanks everyone who contributed thus far. I'll get better at this forum thing.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Think this might need an update.....

EBAY MAFIA #1
2015 GTI S PP//JB1//DP//INJEN CAI//GFB DV+//VMRV705//VWR SPRINGS//PZERO ROSSO//SPULEN SS//RACESENG//OBD11//Deep Pearl Gang//BIG WANG GANG

Diggs. I’m unofficially putting you in charge of all Oldschoolmk7 threads. :).