GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, I sure appreciate your time investment in this thread. I was initially drawn to the cheaper suitcase delete sound mod. But I know I'll end up adding a DP eventually...so...might as well do it before I get my tune.

I like that AWE Touring sound. Sort of the BMW M4 deep raspy note I like (I think). The only small points I'm not clear on after reading this whole thing are:
1) For a CTS DP + Vibrant Res + OE catback...going 3" into 2.5" on the stock catback...any real performance loss there in terms of flow? Looks and weight difference aside, it would be a pretty large cost savings to just keep the OE catback.

2) And then in terms of logistics, I'd like to bolt everything up in my garage at once. Sounds like if I keep the OE catback, the Vibrant Res will need 4" of pipe added, correct? I'm not clear how much of this setup can just be bolted up with clamps. Guess I could haul the whole OE catback to a muffler shop and have the Vibrant Res + 4" welded in if necessary.

There’s cars running 10 second 1/4 miles with the stock CBE exhaust so it won’t hurt too bad to keep it

A clean install with the vibrant resonator you need more that 4” of 2.5” tubing to add. No point in welding in just what you “need” plus it’s slip fit so some tubing length gets lost inside each end of the slip joints

I’d have a local fabricator or if you have to an exhaust shop do the install to avoid excessive clamps

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Gotcha - thx.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Thanks Jake for all your input and research and to everyone else who contributed.

"Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CBE = sounds good for 50% of people

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CSS CBE = raspy and drone to 99% of people

Any aftermarket dp + 18" 17930 or 17950 + any muffler = good for 99% of people"

I want to be ready to add a downpipe in the future without having to redo my whole exhaust setup. With that said, does anyone know what this guy has on his car as far as exhaust?

https://youtu.be/gK8Y2m1SfE8

Or this guy?

https://youtu.be/lalDTvy71gQ

Both video descriptions aren't very helpful.

I like how the setup in the 1st vid sounds but the 2nd setup would be ideal if it weren't so loud.

TIA!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ashiun

Ready to race!
I owe you an apology GTI jake. I noticed that the exhaust shop actually welded on a 1793 for me- not 17930. I went back and had them change it (and paid the difference) and wow, what a difference. I'm surprised at how much that 1" diameter made a difference. I can confidently say that the drone is significantly reduced, much much much much better. And I have pretty sensitive ears.

I will go back to edit my posts to not mislead others :)

Now I'm no longer afraid to go uphills in 6th, or to go above 4k in 1st anymore. Very very happy. I wonder if the resonator will "break-in" and change in effectiveness. It's perfect as is, and I will be slightly sad if it gets louder within the next 1000 mile break-in or something.

Edit: noticed both the 1793 and 17930 were really quiet the first two days... then on the third day it got a bit louder. Maybe it's just the cold. Still way within expectations though :)

Last edited:

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Does anyone have experience with the magnaflow 12646? It seems to be an inch larger in overall diameter vs the vibrant 17930 and relatively the same length.

Thank you for your time,

Devin

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Thanks Jake for all your input and research and to everyone else who contributed.

"Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CBE = sounds good for 50% of people

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CSS CBE = raspy and drone to 99% of people

Any aftermarket dp + 18" 17930 or 17950 + any muffler = good for 99% of people"

I want to be ready to add a downpipe in the future without having to redo my whole exhaust setup. With that said, does anyone know what this guy has on his car as far as exhaust?

https://youtu.be/gK8Y2m1SfE8

Or this guy?

https://youtu.be/lalDTvy71gQ

Both video descriptions aren't very helpful.

I like how the setup in the 1st vid sounds but the 2nd setup would be ideal if it weren't so loud.

TIA!

This thread died

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This thread died

Well the admins say it’s not sticky material...so it’ll never but up there for the new guys.

After countless hours of my time and tons of good feed back from other members it’s become kind of a go to regardless of what the admins say. Finally a few months ago it got to the point where I never really needed to come back to give advice and keep the thread going. Whoever saw someone in need of direction or advice would just link the new guy to here, they’d see all the good info and make the informed discussion they needed help with based on the thread. So my original goal, a self sustaining exhaust “go to” is now a reality to help make the community a better sounding place...no thanks to any powers above my reach :rolleyes:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This thread died

Well the admins say it’s not sticky material...so it’ll never be up there for the new guys.

After countless hours of my time and tons of good feed back from other members it’s become kind of a go to regardless of what the admins say. Finally a few months ago it got to the point where I never really needed to come back to give advice and keep the thread going. Whoever saw someone in need of direction or advice would just link the new guy to here, they’d see all the good info and make the informed discussion they needed help with based on the thread. So my original goal, a self sustaining exhaust “go to” is now a reality to help make the community a better sounding place...no thanks to any powers above my reach :rolleyes:

40k views and over 420 comments and counting, still needs to be searched for tho

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

I finally added a Vibrant 17950 to my APR downpipe yesterday. It tamed the drone between 2800-3500 rpm very nicely! It sounds just like stock in most situations. Thanks, Jake!

I've recorded some sound comparisons and will share them when I'm done editing. I'll work on it this weekend, photos, too.

Scott

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hello,

I finally added a Vibrant 17950 to my APR downpipe yesterday. It tamed the drone between 2800-3500 rpm very nicely! It sounds just like stock in most situations. Thanks, Jake!

I've recorded some sound comparisons and will share them when I'm done editing. I'll work on it this weekend, photos, too.

Scott

Awesome! Video clips are always nice for guys on the fence

leahcim

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Scott

Please record as I am interested in doing the same thing!

Hockey

Ready to race!
I have a question about the setup I'm going for. Tomorrow I'm taking my car into get a muffler delete. Is there a resonator I can get that will eliminate all drone that can replace the stock res? (All exauast is currently stock)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have a question about the setup I'm going for. Tomorrow I'm taking my car into get a muffler delete. Is there a resonator I can get that will eliminate all drone that can replace the stock res? (All exauast is currently stock)

Vibrant 17930 in the stock resonators location

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Okay - Here's the video: https://youtu.be/LwK7LkaeZ9k

Jake - Sorry to have messed up your screen name. HAHA! But THANKS for your advice in this thread. Also, for those with a sharp eye, I did chose the 3-inch 17950 instead of the 2.5-inch 17930.

Scott

Awesome job with the video! Even via the recording you can definitely tell a difference, which personally I think is even a little more pronounced in person